E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Old head unit still work?

03-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
wickedwahine11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 428i M Sport convertible

Old head unit still work?

I purchased an NBT EVO head unit with id6 and CarPlay, as well as a touchscreen last August to update the system in my 2014 428. It has worked exceptionally well, and Steve from Codemybimmer was even able to allow me to maintain HUD functionality for my OEM Navigation directions.

I am now selling the car though and won’t get any return on the investment so I am planning on reinstalling the OEM head unit and touchscreen, and selling the ones I purchased. I know the monitor is no big deal, but had a question about the head unit.

Since the new NBT EVO has been coded with my VIN, will the old head unit still be operational since they have the same VIN assigned to them? A really dumb question for anyone that knows anything about cars or head units but my knowledge is limited to push this button and CarPlay works. I don’t want to harass my husband into doing the install job all over again if it does not work. Intuition tells me it should as both have the same VIN now and this one works but before an afternoon having him rip apart the dash I want to be 100% sure, not 99%.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine11 View Post
I purchased an NBT EVO head unit with id6 and CarPlay, as well as a touchscreen last August to update the system in my 2014 428. It has worked exceptionally well, and Steve from Codemybimmer was even able to allow me to maintain HUD functionality for my OEM Navigation directions.

I am now selling the car though and won’t get any return on the investment so I am planning on reinstalling the OEM head unit and touchscreen, and selling the ones I purchased. I know the monitor is no big deal, but had a question about the head unit.

Since the new NBT EVO has been coded with my VIN, will the old head unit still be operational since they have the same VIN assigned to them? A really dumb question for anyone that knows anything about cars or head units but my knowledge is limited to push this button and CarPlay works. I don’t want to harass my husband into doing the install job all over again if it does not work. Intuition tells me it should as both have the same VIN now and this one works but before an afternoon having him rip apart the dash I want to be 100% sure, not 99%.
The factory parts will bolt right up and work. When I do retrofits I never code the actual car, only the navigation parts.

Also I may need the touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
wickedwahine11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 428i M Sport convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
The factory parts will bolt right up and work. When I do retrofits I never code the actual car, only the navigation parts.

Also I may need the touch screen.
Thanks for the advice. I’m looking to remove the two parts this weekend and can sell them as of Sunday or Monday.
Appreciate 0