E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Official DIY HALOGEN to XENON Conversion!

02-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #133
Bisho94
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i

NEED HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
I know within the next couple of weeks a handful of peeps are going to be recieving some euro xenons and we got info all over the place so I thought wed bring the Main important stuff to one thread!
This conversion will give u an error for 5 sec if the car is started and the light switch is in the OFF position.
YOu will get NO error if you start the car with the light switch in the ON position!

[SIZE="6"]
HALOGEN TO XENON
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]1. REmove front bumper by following this DIY:[/SIZE]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...bumper+removal

[SIZE="3"]2. remove headlights from a couple screws as noted in pic#3 by evos4!
[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]
3. replace headlights with euro xenons like the ones shown in pics 1&2[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]4. Install front bumper the reverse way you removed it![/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]5. Electrical wiring needs to be modified! as noted in pic#8(courtesy of 96vette)
If you do not do the mod only the angel eyes and high beams will work!
First we need to add a Ground to the chassis! this is connected to hole #2 on the plug. The best ground is the one noted in pic#4 (green wire running up the black wiring harness bolted to the silver NUT that holds the ground box!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]6. Splicing the high beam wire to add the bixenon shutter wire!
First cut the high beam wire#6 in half! add a but splice at the end of the wire coming from the car and crimp it in place..Then take an ADDED wire and twist it together at the end so u can put it in the butt splice together and crimp! Now u should have two wires coming out of the one connection as shown in pic#5
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]7. now to put these extra 2 wires in the plug is a bit of a trick! u will see on the outside of the plug itself a piece that holds the pins in the plug! Remove this piece the one shown in pic#6 and use it to hold the bare wire in the plug once uve pushed it in!
Use electrical tape and wrap it around the wire until u have a wide enough circle to fill the hole to prevent any moisture getting in there as shown in pic#7[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]
8. wrap your connection with electrical tape and make it look OEM as possible and plug em in! Go turn them XENONS ON!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]THis is done at your own risk I do not assume responsiblity for anyones car! If you do not feel confident in wiring I would suggest handing this DIY to a mechanic so that he can do it for U![/SIZE]
Hi

I have read the thread and a lots of it, but i can't figure something out for my situation.

I have a 128i halogen headlights (US spec). I purchased a UK xenon headlights with their plugs and did this exact mod.

Everything works except for the xenon flickers while the engine is running !!!

Any solution fo this issue, please !!

Any recommendations!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #134
laramt82
Rep
Drives: e90 330

Coding frm will solve your problem
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #135
bmwe90junkie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 328xi

Xenon functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
I know within the next couple of weeks a handful of peeps are going to be recieving some euro xenons and we got info all over the place so I thought wed bring the Main important stuff to one thread!
This conversion will give u an error for 5 sec if the car is started and the light switch is in the OFF position.
YOu will get NO error if you start the car with the light switch in the ON position!

HALOGEN TO XENON

1. REmove front bumper by following this DIY:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...bumper+removal

2. remove headlights from a couple screws as noted in pic#3 by evos4!

3. replace headlights with euro xenons like the ones shown in pics 1&2

4. Install front bumper the reverse way you removed it!

5. Electrical wiring needs to be modified! as noted in pic#8(courtesy of 96vette)
If you do not do the mod only the angel eyes and high beams will work!
First we need to add a Ground to the chassis! this is connected to hole #2 on the plug. The best ground is the one noted in pic#4 (green wire running up the black wiring harness bolted to the silver NUT that holds the ground box!

6. Splicing the high beam wire to add the bixenon shutter wire!
First cut the high beam wire#6 in half! add a but splice at the end of the wire coming from the car and crimp it in place..Then take an ADDED wire and twist it together at the end so u can put it in the butt splice together and crimp! Now u should have two wires coming out of the one connection as shown in pic#5

7. now to put these extra 2 wires in the plug is a bit of a trick! u will see on the outside of the plug itself a piece that holds the pins in the plug! Remove this piece the one shown in pic#6 and use it to hold the bare wire in the plug once uve pushed it in!
Use electrical tape and wrap it around the wire until u have a wide enough circle to fill the hole to prevent any moisture getting in there as shown in pic#7

8. wrap your connection with electrical tape and make it look OEM as possible and plug em in! Go turn them XENONS ON!!!

THis is done at your own risk I do not assume responsiblity for anyones car! If you do not feel confident in wiring I would suggest handing this DIY to a mechanic so that he can do it for U!

With this simple 2 wire mod do the xenon headlights retain all functionality? Hi/lo beams, halos only and stalk hi/lo flash?

I guess an easier way to ask would be do they lose any functionality lol

many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 03:36 AM   #136
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

Yes you'll retain all functionality. The only reason additional wiring is required is because:

1. The xenons have a separate ground for low beam (which doesn't exist in the halogen loom)
2. The xenon has a shutter that opens on high beam (this is the bi-xenon) so by wiring this into your high beam wire your bi-xenon will operate alongside your normal high beam.

The factory bi-xenon cars control the shutter independently via a wire from the FRM, but for normal day to day driving it won't make any difference.
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      09-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #137
bmwe90junkie
Registered
Rep

awesome. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #138
bmwe90junkie
Registered
Rep

2006 325i halogen to 2007 Xenon wiring question

My current 2006 headlight harness has the following wires:
black/blue
white/blue
brown/blue
yellow/blue
brown

the pigtail i received with the 2007 xenon headlights have the following in orde of position:

1. brown/yellow
2. thick brown
3. thick yellow/blue
4. thick brown
5 black/green
6 blue/brown
7 brown/black
8. yellow
9. green/black
10. open
11. open
12. thick white/blue

to retail as much stock functionality as possible which color wires from the 07 tap into which color wires from the current harness?

thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #139
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

If both the old and new headlights are pre-LCI and non-AHL then the only difference should be an additional thick brown wire in pin 2 (second ground for the xenons) and a thin brown/yellow wire in pin 5 for the bi-xenon flap actuator.

The relatively small number of wires on your original lights suggests that you don't have electric levelling (either manual or automatic), as these use an additional four wires - one pair for the motor and one for the sensor. These are usually in pins 8-11 although this doesn't seem to correspond to your harness so you'd need to do some investigative work with a meter.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #140
T1TAN90
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Hello dear people, I have a problem, don't know where to start, drive an E90 2005 halogen headlight, have now bought the xenon headlights from 2006 and an FRM2 for my car. I don't know how to wire up correctly, which pins go where. Can anyone explain that to me? for stupid ones like me. I have already retrofitted the electrically folding side mirrors, but I had the right plan and knew which pins belong where and how many additional cables I have to lay. these are normal xenon headlights without cornering lights and not bi xenon. help me please
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #141
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Why not upgrade the xenon lights you plan to put inside as headlights are removed? This way you improve the improvement.
Below is the image of normal bi-xenon headlight housing without the projector.
You can remove projector from the headlight from the back opening. It is not easy, lots of figuring out right angles and slightly needed to disassemble projector (metal piece) & headlight (leveling adjuster).
It will come out eventually in one piece. In the below image i've put adapter there (purchased projectors from retrofitlab - their aluminium adapter is wrongly made or for different headlight?). The adapter was not really alignied with the bottom tab but a simple aluminium piece solves that.

Here is comparison between projectors (OEM bi-xenon vs Bi-Xenon ZKW).

They are definitely better than oem projectors. Main difference is how the light is spread. Oem spreads it evenly around everywhere while it lacks distance.
So you feel like, want to upgrade the high beams. Some of the light is lost due to lenses not beeing clear but "foggy". The cutoff is not sharp but softer. Oem projectors illuminate sides better but while driving it is not where you concentrate your focus.
Most used ones have slightly burnt projectors (because most use headlights in auto switch) where it uses HID in daylight. So this is another reason to swap them out.

The new projectors focus is directly ahead. It is similar to a "V" shape spread where it does not show light directly next to the headlight (like oem's do). The light is focused instead ahead where you want to see better.
Because of this the overall beam strength is better where it outperforms most xenons that i have compared to while driving in the dark. The sides of the road are better illuminated and can detect incoming animals earlier. Halogens (2 low beam + 2 high beam at the same time) are worse than a single ZKW projector in high beam mode. Light spread is just too good in ZKW.

When the shutter is pulled down (bi-xenon function) the high beams are one the better ones. Clearly the design is to focus most light ahead of you and this is what most OEM headlights are lacking in.

This is something worth considering doing while headlights are removed from the car or you have two sets. Best investment so far, even better than CDV delete. But be aware, messing with lightning always takes some time to get everything right. One warning is that mount the bulb correctly first time in the projector - saves you time from taking everything apart again. Light focus needs to be centered and gradually spreading out. Any anomalies here means something is off.

For last car retroitted FX-R 3.0 the cutoff was nice but these are now preferred choice.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 11-16-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 02:25 PM   #142
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
I have a few questions, for those who have done this:

- Can the xenons be aimed like the halogens? I know the auto-leveling won't work because my car lacks the hardware (2006 E91 with halogens).
- Do I need LCI non-AHL housings, or can I use AHL headlights and disable the AHL function?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:45 AM   #143
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
I have a few questions, for those who have done this:

- Can the xenons be aimed like the halogens? I know the auto-leveling won't work because my car lacks the hardware (2006 E91 with halogens).
- Do I need LCI non-AHL housings, or can I use AHL headlights and disable the AHL function?

Thanks in advance.
I did this mod yesterday, using pre-LCI headlight housings.It turned out great. I ended up doing the wiring splices inside the housing. Once you take off the ballast, there is plenty of space to remove the loom from its socket and get at the wiring.

Last edited by smatanovic; 03-22-2022 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      03-20-2023, 06:03 PM   #144
Jagger2k
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 330i M sport

Just done this mod, however I didn’t fancy hacking my factory loom or the wiring inside the lighting unit so I created my own harness and it’s worked a treat. Just need to fit them in now when I can face taking the bumper off. Question I have is do I just need to code the xenon’s in $522 and deactivate the auto levelling? And will the manual dial still work to adjust?

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:07 AM   #145
E83Nate
E83 Nate
Rep
Drives: 04 bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec View Post
you still selling these lights? and how much??
I have a set of dynamic xenon headlights for an e83? Idk
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:00 AM   #146
wagonBoi48
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 N52 6MT

I need some quick help on this topic. so I have a 2011 LCI car with halogens and I installed the factory Xenon lights, and spliced in the grounds just as mentioned. The side markers, blinkers and low beams work, but the daytimes, halos and highbeams don’t work. any help would be appreciated, I’m not sure if some additional coding is involved.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:17 AM   #147
A4Andre
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I just did the conversion on my '08 E90 but low beams wont stay on. All parts are brand new (headlights, D1S bulbs, and ballasts). The wiring was modified in the headlights and before installing the headlights both were tested and work fine. now that I installed them on the car the low beams flicker after about 10 seconds and then shut off. There are no headlight errors because I coded out the low beam bulb checks using Bimmer Geeks Protool. The headlights work fine as long as the engine isn't running. Anyone encounter this problem? Is it my footwell module causing the issue?

EDIT: Bulbs are by Osram and ballasts are Vemo. Could the Vemo ballasts be the issue? I would think not since all is well when the engine is not running.

Last edited by A4Andre; 03-22-2024 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:18 PM   #148
A4Andre
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

RESOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Andre View Post
I just did the conversion on my '08 E90 but low beams wont stay on. All parts are brand new (headlights, D1S bulbs, and ballasts). The wiring was modified in the headlights and before installing the headlights both were tested and work fine. now that I installed them on the car the low beams flicker after about 10 seconds and then shut off. There are no headlight errors because I coded out the low beam bulb checks using Bimmer Geeks Protool. The headlights work fine as long as the engine isn't running. Anyone encounter this problem? Is it my footwell module causing the issue?

EDIT: Bulbs are by Osram and ballasts are Vemo. Could the Vemo ballasts be the issue? I would think not since all is well when the engine is not running.
Resolved the problem. While browsing with bimmergeeks protool I thought I had to code the low beam PWM. Did a search in the FRM for low beam to find the PWM coding and noticed a Xenon enable/disable coding option appeared in the list. I enabled Xenon and everything now works. I did not have to code the PWM.
Appreciate 0