E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > BFWD on top of Meguiar's DA Finishing Wax?

06-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
HifiSyd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

BFWD on top of Meguiar's DA Finishing Wax?

Sorry for the newb question... I searched and didn't have much luck.

I bought the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Kit from D.I. about two months ago and was very happy with the results. (07 SGM 335i)

I've also purchased some BFWD and would like to make sure I'm okay applying it on top of their DA Microfiber Finishing Wax... which is two months old now.

Again, I apologize for the rookie question; I'm still figuring out how all this stuff works.

Thanks in advance for all your input!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I am not familiar with the wax, but BFWD is generally recommended to be applied on top of freshly (not protected) polished paint. I'd imagine the Finishing Wax you're referring to is basically gone anyway, so the BFWD isn't exaclty going on right afterward while it was fresh.

Generally, you want to apply sealant, then wax.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

What about giving a car a CG citrus wash (concentrated correctly) to strip the wax the DA stuff adds, than put down BFWD?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Sealants typically do not bond well over anything which is oil based as a rule of thumb. If you are using BFWD it should be on top of either a freshly prepped surface of one in which an acrylic bonding agent or glaze was used like CG EZ Creme or Vertubond. Check if the Finishing wax is oil based (most waxes are) and strip that if you want to use BFWD as your primary paint protection. Top it with the wax of your choice for the look you are going for.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

nope!!!! BFWD goes on first, and then a wax, but not the finishing wax as it will do some slight sealant removal. Think of finishing wax as a minor AIO. you should do BFWD and then a paste carnuba like natty's blue, or something along those lines!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
HifiSyd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Thanks everyone, this really helps... I'm glad I asked!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
nope!!!! BFWD goes on first, and then a wax, but not the finishing wax as it will do some slight sealant removal. Think of finishing wax as a minor AIO. you should do BFWD and then a paste carnuba like natty's blue, or something along those lines!
+1. Dont get BFWD caught up in the mix of the D/A system. After the first two step are complete with the D/A, put down a carnauba paste wax of choice.
Appreciate 0