E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BimmerTech Bluetooth Audio Retrofit-Success!

08-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #23
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yeah, Bluetooth isn't perfect, but the aux input is terrible in comparison.

And realistically, if you're streaming from a phone, the source is probably mp3 or a compressed stream anyway. I doubt it makes much difference in reality.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:35 AM   #24
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Great thank you! I really wanted the ebay box, and this seems very straightforward. I will look up which switches turn off the phone function as the car has BT built in already so it will be purely for media (I will use USB so I can charge and play media from one place)

Glad to hear steering wheel controls work as well, that is key!
You don't have to look it up. The switch is on the eBay box and it's called out in it's instructions. It's basically, "do you want it to do phone or not?"

Ctunas thread is where I got my info from
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
You don't have to look it up. The switch is on the eBay box and it's called out in it's instructions. It's basically, "do you want it to do phone or not?"

Ctunas thread is where I got my info from
Thank you, will be purchasing this unit. My radio has the faded LCD, but really did not want to go all out with the Eonon install. I can see enough to set it to "CD" and just leave it on there because I will never use the regular radio. I am either listening to my phone's music, or Howard Stern.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:47 PM   #26
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I ran the comparison between the same 320 bit files
from usb and streaming. Streaming is not as good
but it was better than I thought.
Same files on my phone as on the USB stick.
I can't tell the difference between 320 bit mp3 and Wav files.
If you get down to 128 bit mp3 its crap.

This box works really well as far a fidelity and phone calls go
the only downside is the interface is non intuitive and there are
no instructions. It does have steering wheel controls.
The wonky part is switching between sources on a Pro radio you
have to double tap the radio power switch otherwise it's been fine.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-07-2020 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:56 PM   #27
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

CIC isn't determined by LCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #28
Raakhuga
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrak98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raakhuga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtrak98 View Post
Hi everyone! I don't post very often but I lurk frequently. I'm currently on my 3rd three series and my mom has an E83. My current 2011 335i has a build date of 03/10 and is equipped with navigation. This means: you get bluetooth but only for phone calls! Build date 10/10 and onward were equipped with a combox instead of a TCU which adds Bluetooth audio for the cars. I purchased the combox Retrofit kit from bimmertech and couldn't be happier. I was nervous at first because I prefer OEM setups but I have to highly recommend them. The custom made harness arrived only 3 days after purchase (all the way from Poland). Parts were all correct. I didn't have any instructions yet because they email them to you but by the time my package arrived and I requested them, help desk was closed for the weekend. Was able to mostly install the parts correctly. Removed the TCU and MULF in the trunk and swapped in the combox. The tech was extremely patient and has us switch around a few things in order for it to work (some plugs look the same). After two hours it was successfully coded. I can now stream music wirelessly from my phone. If you're considering this, do it. Huge improvement. They send you a cable that runs from the OBD to your laptop and remotely access your laptop for the coding. And then it's all done. One software update later and I'm ecstatic with the setup. High quality and BLUETOOTH AUDIO.
Where can I find this retrofit kit ? 😄
Here's the link:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...with-bluetooth

I was able to find an old combox laying around that I verified by vin had Bluetooth audio capability. They gave me a discount on the kit cost because I didn't need the box from them.
Thanks mate 😊
Appreciate 0