E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY-Door panel and outside mirror...

09-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

DIY-Door panel and outside mirror (updated)

I was playing with the trim this weekend and decided to go ahead and remove the door panel and the outside mirror. I will not be held responsible for problem that you have if you attempt this process. Use this as a reference and as a guide. What I discovered is that when you remove the door trim, you will need to replace the rectangular clip because the edge of the clip will be torn. So keep that in mind before you dive into the process.

To remove the trim, start out with the front part of the trim, see my pics with the yellow circle. Don't start off with the other end because it has a hook on the other end. Use a screw driver and get behind the trim (becareful not to tear your leather). Use the screw driver to create a big enough gap so you can get your fingers behind it and pull the trim straight out. Do not pull the trim out at an angle or you will break ther trim or break the pin behind it. In my pic, I have placed tape where there is a clip behind it to give you idea where they are located. This process is very tough and sometime you feel like you might break the trim. If you feel uncomfortable, I would not try it.
Attached Images

Last edited by txusa03; 09-20-2006 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Once you removed the trim, some clips will remain on the trim and some will remain on the door. If they are still on the door, just leave them there. The front trim have a total of 7 clips. More pic for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Now that the trim are out, remove the 3 screws (circled in red). They are kinda long screws. Once the screws are out, starting at the bottom, use a screw driver and insert it between the panel and the door, careful not to scratch the panel or the paint. Use the screw to create a big gap so you can place your fingers behind the panel and gently pull the panel straight out. I placed tape on the panel where there are pins behind it. Make sure you unplug the wires for the speaker and window mechanism (make sure you remember where each plug goes).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Now to the outside mirror. The black rubber seal that goes around the door with the speaker attached to it should come out very easily. Starting at the bottom front where the speaker is located, gently lift the black trim stright out, there is a clip behind it (see red circle). Pull it out far enough so you have some room to get to the 3 screws for the mirror (black circles). Those 3 screws hold the outside mirror. becareful when you remove the 3 screws, make sure you hold the mirror or it might fall to the ground.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Ok, unclip the wire and pull the mirror straight out. Again, make sure you remember where the wire is plug into because there are two insert for the wire on the mirror. On my car, there is only 1 wire but two insert slots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Here is the back of the mirror once removed from the door. To remove the balck trim from the mirror, you need to remove the 3 tiny screws (red circles).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
txusa03
Major General
Rep

The screw is not the only thing holding the black trim, you need to remove this piece (red circle) to seperate the black trim from the mirror. But this piece is very difficult for me to remove, there is a tap located under this piece (where the X is). I need some kind of tool to get to this tap, which I don't have. So this is where the road ends for me. To put it back, just reverse the process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep

I hope this give yall some idea on how these things are put together. Use it as a reference and decide for yourself if this is something you can do for yourself if you are planing to swap trim or swap outside mirror...If anyone has experience in removing the black trim piece from the mirror, feel free and share your experience. The pictures should help alot since I marked the pins for the door panel and the pins for the trim.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

GREAT DIY

do the leather trimmed panels (the big piece on the door, and the armrest) come out? or are they glued onto the door panel?
      09-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep

The whole panel comes out as 1 piece, I am not sure if you can take apart the different section of the door panel, I forgot to look carefully behind the panel to see if there are any clips holding the different panel together.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

tx, you know I think the world of you, but what in tarnation possessed you to rip your car apart thusly???????????

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
tx, you know I think the world of you, but what in tarnation possessed you to rip your car apart thusly???????????
curiousity got to me Plus, someday, someone will ask how do you remove the outside mirror (to upgrade their mirror). At least I was thinking of you guys/gals as I took it apart... All that work and no mod:mad: I have some skills but no money for mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
canucklion
Canada
Rep

hey, you can leave off the side mirrors for that shaved aerodynamic look to your car
      09-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

With your scientist's inquisitive nature maybe YOU can come up with an ECU reflash that'll work!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
canucklion
Canada
Rep

with so many 'claimed' success, yet nothing to show for, the ECU saga is becoming like chasing after the holy grail
Quote:
With your scientist's inquisitive nature maybe YOU can come up with an ECU reflash that'll work!!!!!!!!!
      09-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

BMW is laughing their asses off at all these ECU reflash failures!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
canucklion
Canada
Rep

no doubt, they're saying "who's daddy, bitches"

anyways, GREAT DIY, hope this will be stickied as it sure will be handy for people lookin' to replace the side mirrors as well as door trim and speakers

Quote:
BMW is laughing their asses off at all these ECU reflash failures!
      09-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
canucklion
Canada
Rep

tx, one for question, you don't happen to have the part # for those plastic tabs handy, do you?
      09-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
tx, one for question, you don't happen to have the part # for those plastic tabs handy, do you?
no part number, maybe in realoem. But just keep the old one and bring it to the dealer and they will determine what size it is. They have plenty of tab in stock, at least at the dealer here in town...I reused my and did not buy new one so I have no invoice to show you a part number.

What are you up to with the door panel? you plan to do some mod?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #20
canucklion
Canada
Rep

yip, I plan on doing my own speaker install, was hesitatnt in doing it myself, but after looking at your DIY, it looks less daunting to tackle now. Won't do it until next spring though, but I'm the type that research and research on a project before diggin in, so less chance of unforseen surprises

and yeah, I checked reaoem, man, after looking at so many diagrams, I was all @_@ , I guess the easiest is just to bring the tab to the dealership and show them.
      09-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #21
txusa03
Major General
Rep

yeah they charged me like $11 for 14 pieces so I said forget it. The thing you should be very careful is the pin on the trim that goes into the rectagular tab.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Ok, so I took a photo of the plastic tab. As you can see from my first photo, the green arrow shows the metal piece on each side of the tab which grip the pin on the trim. As I was told my a BMW employee (the parts guy), he said normally when you take the trim off, the tab should remain on the door panel. However, in my case 5-6 tabs were still stuck on the door trim when I pulled the trim out. To put the trim back onto the door panel, you should remove the tab from the pin on the trim and place the tab into its designated location on the door panel, then you insert the trim back onto the door panel. But, to remove the tab from the pin on the trim, you really need to be carefull because that tab is stucked on the pin pretty good. To remove the tab, take a plier and squeeze both side of the plastic tab (the red arrows in my photo). That will release pressure on the metal area (green arrow) and that will allow you to pull the tab straight out (you still need to put some muscle into the pull process). Don't pull at any angle (must pull straight out) or you will break the pin on the trim.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0