E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Code 11566......And idling issues

09-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Code 11566......And idling issues

Hi gang,

So.....Another weekend, another issue, smh.

What happened:

This weekend I was heading out to the coast with my family, stuck in stop and go traffic in about 90 degree weather.

All of a sudden, my car stuttered while waiting in traffic, and all at once, the engine shut off and my 'active steering' light came on, saying on iDrive that 'active steering inactive'. Pulled over, turned off the car, restarted it, it started fine, but with rough stuttering at idle, and at idle only. Sounds worse at times, sounded like the car is starving for fuel (just my guess, could be off completely), while the rpm needle bounces and dips below 500 rpm down to 200-300 rpm even.

Something else to note:

When I'm slowing down to a complete stop, right before stopping completely, obviously, the rpm winds down, but when it gets down to the 600-700 rpm range, it dips below that and bounces back up, just like I've described above. I've also noticed that during those times, the engine noise got very 'quiet' almost hybrid-car like, keep in mind, I'm Stage III catless, so idling isn't very 'quite' at all, or any other time for that matter.

Also during cruising speeds, at 3000 rpm or so, when throttle is steady, the engine all of a sudden gets 'louder' right around 3000 rpm, and I mean instantly louder, there's no 'transition' into louder. It sounds retarded, but it's like VTec just kicked in lol.

So I read the code via Procede, and it read '11566' aka '2D2E' (tuner code?). So after a quick search, it seems that the code was a 'bug' in the program and should have been solved ages ago, according to Vishnu. But the code is specific related to 'Angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure, correlation'.

What does this mean, and how should I fix this? It is obviously NOT resolved, or else it wouldn't pop up anymore?

My guess:
LPFP
HPFP
Injector

I've recently replaced (prior to this issue):
plugs
coils
boost solenoids
vacuum lines
water pump
T-Stat
coolant
OFHG (about 4-5 months ago)

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here are two video clips of what I'm referring to. Pay close attention to the rpm needle, when it's idling at 600 rpm, every so often, it will stutter/dip below 600 rpm and that's when the jerking/stutter feel comes on. It transfers into the cabin, and my car literally feels like she's 'shivering'.....

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I by-passed the Procede and ran on map '0', with partial throttle, the car jerks like I'm tapping on the throttle, but I'm not. But ONLY on partial throttle, if I give it WOT, then it seems fine.

Prior to setting the Procede back to map '0', I had reset the 'throttle adaption' in the Command Center of Procede. That didn't help. I'll drive it some more to see if it 'adapts' and feels normal again.

I'm curious to see if the wire harness in the shifter assembly has anything to do with throttle positioning/throttle?

11566 code specifically translates to 'angle of throttle valve - intake pipe underpressure, correlation'.

From that, could it be the throttle body? Tmap sensor?

I'm clueless now......

PLEASE HELP!!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
BRD1234
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

I'll let you know how replacing the coils and crankshaft position sensor goes. My problem is more advanced then that (I let that go on for too long).
      09-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD1234 View Post
I'll let you know how replacing the coils and crankshaft position sensor goes. My problem is more advanced then that (I let that go on for too long).
Please do!! I just replaced all 6 coils about less than a month ago.....Just wondering about the crankshaft position sensor, as I've never even thought of that as being the culprit.....

Where is that located at? What does it even look like? lol

Anyway, GL with the repair and keep us updated.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
BRD1234
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Please do!! I just replaced all 6 coils about less than a month ago.....Just wondering about the crankshaft position sensor, as I've never even thought of that as being the culprit.....

Where is that located at? What does it even look like? lol

Anyway, GL with the repair and keep us updated.

It's right underneath the starter and supposedly really easy to replace. Pelican parts did a little how to do that I found searching google
      09-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!

So after resetting my throttle adaption, lambda adaption, AFR adaption, 6AT trans adaption, and ECU twice, the jerking feeling while cruising around 3000 rpm is GONE!!

It took me resetting the above TWICE before the problem went away. After the first time, the problem persisted. But that maybe because I didn't give it enough drive time to adapt.

So I don't know if this was a glitch/fluke, but she feels pretty normal now....(knock on wood).

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0