E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Injectors Pushed Out of Seat - Fixable?

09-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I COUPE SPORT

Injectors Pushed Out of Seat - Fixable?

My car has been throwing some fits lately. Couple weeks ago had some voltage issues, registered the battery with pro tools this time (did it with carly originally) codes went away. Yesterday, drove the car to the store no issues all warmed up, washed the car, on the second startup (car still warm) it's making this awful helicopter like noise in the engine bay. I got all the codes but 1. Car never made these noises with the 2BDE and 2BF0 and 2 never had the various misfires codes either. Anyone got a good ear to take a listen, it sounds fkn terrible.

I've got the code descriptions I'm more worried about the sound. But I know someone will want to know so:
2EE1
2EE2
2EE8
2EE9
2EFE
2F00

SHADOW:
2BDE
2BF0

Last edited by HeyTeeee; 09-22-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After visual inspection cylinders 1&2 injectors were not seated. Injector 2 didn’t have it’s seal. Ordering 2 new seals and going to hope to god they seat otherwise from what Ive read the head is fucked.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

What seal are you talking about, the decoupler? Was the hold down bracket installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The seal on the tip of the injector or O-ring is probably the better verbiage to use. Bracket was installed but was not torqued down. Im tempted to ask the shop that did my timing chain guide if they touched the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

didnt you replace the injectors recently ? he usually come with new seals.

What would that have to do with the head ?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #6
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did few months ago and I checked rechecked torque 3-4 times on every thing before firing her back up. The shop stated they fixed threads on the feed lines but never specified which ones. The posts I’ve read have nearly all said if the injectors blow out or become loose the head will be damaged due to the hole widening where the injectors insert and can no longer seal. All except one lucky person from a post a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

You are talking about two different thing. The seal on the tip of the injector comes installed on the injector. If you pulled an injector out and it is not on the injector it must have somehow fallen off. The loose injectors ovaling the head are from missing decouplers/upside down brackets on N54s.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
You are talking about two different thing. The seal on the tip of the injector comes installed on the injector. If you pulled an injector out and it is not on the injector it must have somehow fallen off. The loose injectors ovaling the head are from missing decouplers/upside down brackets on N54s.
Seal on the tip (o ring) in cylinder 2 was missing cylinder 1 was present. Bracket was installed and decouplers. The only issue I found aside from the injectors being loose is that the bolt that holds the bracket down wasn't torqued or even close to it. I unscrewed it with my finger tips - I have two replacement orings on their way this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
KClemente
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTeeee View Post
Quote:
Seal on the tip (o ring) in cylinder 2 was missing cylinder 1 was present. Bracket was installed and decouplers. The only issue I found aside from the injectors being loose is that the bolt that holds the bracket down wasn't torqued or even close to it. I unscrewed it with my finger tips - I have two replacement orings on their way this week.
If your injector doesn't end up seating, go on my profile and look for the thread I made on fixing an injector bore. 10k miles later and it's still working.
      09-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClemente View Post
If your injector doesn't end up seating, go on my profile and look for the thread I made on fixing an injector bore. 10k miles later and it's still working.
Great info thank you, I've bookmarked for later reading. Crossing my fingers I got realllll lucky. I feel like this issue should've shown its ugly face when I replaced the injectors months ago considering the pressure. Still can't believe that bolt was that loose. Will update this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #11
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClemente View Post
Say, how much play did your injectors have when you tried to seat them? I remember my replacements taking one hell of a push to get them going and then finishing up with the tool to torque em down. I've got one injector in, took a good solid bit of pressure for it to budge and it has some play sure but I don't have a reference point of what is too much play if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Let's assume I got incredibly lucky, inspecting this injector from cyl 2 tell me this will not function properly. But I also don't have a ref point to go off of for this issue so 2 part question. 1) opinion of reuse of this injector? 2) if not, that will give me 5 bosch injectors and 1 bmw injector since I still have the ones I replaced and will they work together.

I appreciate yall taking the time to read and respond.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #13
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Just replace the injector. There will be no issues as long as you code it properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just replace the injector. There will be no issues as long as you code it properly.
Weehe hello mate I’ve learned lots from your posts and a handful of other members appreciate your input. No issues running a combo of factory bmw injectors and Bosch replacements? Cyl 2 was the most wobbly, most visible damage and missing the o ring. My test injector seating was with cyl 1 injector plus new o ring and I feel it’s sitting pretty ok. I figure, if the worst one sits alright the lesser should be pretty solid. Wish I could remember the other 4 I think either you or maybe pladi said the ones I replaced looked pretty ok in an old post
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyTeeee View Post
Weehe hello mate I’ve learned lots from your posts and a handful of other members appreciate your input. No issues running a combo of factory bmw injectors and Bosch replacements? Cyl 2 was the most wobbly, most visible damage and missing the o ring. My test injector seating was with cyl 1 injector plus new o ring and I feel it’s sitting pretty ok. I figure, if the worst one sits alright the lesser should be pretty solid. Wish I could remember the other 4 I think either you or maybe pladi said the ones I replaced looked pretty ok in an old post
Your labor is free... put a new seal on the injector and pop it back in... this time don't forget to torque the bracket back down. Best case scenario, it runs fine. Worst case scenario, you leak combustion gas past the injector seal due to a screwed up cylinder head. You'll hear the exhaust leak - tsk, tsk, tsk noise. Or, it seals fine but the injector ends up being damage and you have to go back in and replace it...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Only thing i would do different is not reuse the injector. Because they can bend easy. Especially when u try to install them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #17
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Only thing i would do different is not reuse the injector. Because they can bend easy. Especially when u try to install them.
Have you bent one? I never would expect them to bend easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have you bent one? I never would expect them to bend easy.
I saw warnings on the TIS for this. There are very specific warnings about when using the tool to seat them and the torques used for the tool. I followed these instructions and never had issues replacing injectors.

How easy it is to bend them i dont know but you cant say its not possible to bend them.. Esp if you use the tool incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting, I've never used the tools and have not had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #20
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Interesting, I've never used the tools and have not had an issue.
Pretty sure he is referencing the warning not to rotate the injector if it requires more than 5NM of torque or whatever and I am pretty sure that warning is to prevent you from tearing the new seal. Injectors themselves are plastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #21
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update for those following. My parts (o rings, decouplers and clamping plate) arrived 2 days late with next day shipping from fcp. I imagine it was the clamping plate that made it late but w/e the parts arrived on the weekend thank goodness. Last week I fkd up one o ring bc I tried to compress it but did it in the wrong order and wrong insert side so when I re ordered parts I ordered 4 o rings to compensate for human error ie my error. Made for a good learning experience so I’m not at all upset. First fire up my car threw the same misfire codes and interestingly idled as if the injectors were still bouncing around in cylinder 1&2. Check engine light on the dash/MHD misfires 1&2 codes etc. Mind you I coded the injectors and cleared codes prior to start up. I let it run for about 5 minutes, turned her off, cleared codes again and fired her up about 3 mins later - no issues. Backed her out and when I got into first immediate stall. Let her sit a couple more minutes bc at this point I was pissed/sad the repair didn’t work as planned. Fired up again I have about 15 miles and 5 starts car is running fine besides a couple intake pressure codes that I’ve learned will eventually go away. Crossing my fingers that she holds strong long enough for me to plan (and pay of course) for a solid rebuild of some sort. For now, I’m just happy the injectors haven’t pushed out again.

Last edited by HeyTeeee; 09-28-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #22
HeyTeeee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In regards to the o-rings from my observation (I’m no certified bmw tech btw but I can follow a repair guide no prob) I don’t think those o rings will seat correctly without any compression. The Bentley manual I have states to just push a special tool over the injector and it’s fine. The tool I have albiet not BMW issued didn’t touch the seals whatsoever, zero resistance. Could be manufacturer flaw idk but I had zero confidence theyld seat correctly. The 3 compressing tools as seen in an ABR Houston vid on a n54 injector install did compress them. I hope the veteran members chime in with their experiences as I couldve easily been acting too cautiously.
Appreciate 0