E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Steering rack clunking noise

02-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #45
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Official jointing torque for the steering rack is 56Nm + 90 degrees of rotation to stretch the bolt.

Putting angle on the bolt permanently stretches the bolt so officially you have to replace the bolt and but. This is to achieve high clamping forces while reducing the number of fasteners required.

Hardly anyone actually does this, if you want to reuse the bolt you can retorque it up to 56Nm, I would not put the angle on a stretched bolt.
      02-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #46
rapishorrid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ducati Streetfighter 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Official jointing torque for the steering rack is 56Nm + 90 degrees of rotation to stretch the bolt.

Putting angle on the bolt permanently stretches the bolt so officially you have to replace the bolt and but. This is to achieve high clamping forces while reducing the number of fasteners required.

Hardly anyone actually does this, if you want to reuse the bolt you can retorque it up to 56Nm, I would not put the angle on a stretched bolt.
Thanks. Hopefully this fixes my problem (when going slow/parked I get a knock that can be felt through the wheel when turning right to left).

Last edited by rapishorrid; 02-15-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #47
Mean E92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

Anyone have any other solutions? I got new bolts and torqued them to 56nm and 90 degrees. Still have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 05:10 AM   #48
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Upper strut mounts - check the rubber is still good (no cracks) when the steering is rotated through to both ends. Check the upper strut nut is still tight, particularly those of you with aftermarket suspension or if the shocks have been replaced at any point. Check the three nuts that hold the strut mount to the tower. They are single use egg shaped nuts. If reused, they can loosen over time. If you have non standard strut mounts (camber plates etc) then don't discount them as a possibility also.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but also check the strut brace. The bolts are supposed to be replaced on the strut towers but often the central one below the windshield is neglected and insufficiently tight.

Ball joints - possible stiction or rust due to water penetration of the boots.

Subframe bolts - make sure they are tight also, particularly those of you who have dropped it at some point.

Wheel bearing bolts - unlikely but possible i guess.

Hard to believe a knuckle would be to blame because it has no moving parts of its own.

For me, I had both the first issues i listed.
Appreciate 0