E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > AC Condensation Drip

08-06-2018, 02:44 AM   #1
Evergreen24
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

AC Condensation Drip

I asked this in the general E90 forum, but I probably should have asked it here, so I'm reposting. Sorry.

I'm seeing condensation drip from directly underneath the AC compressor. I don't remember this happening last summer, so I think it may be new. I recently had work done to the AC system (new evap core and new compressor).

I had the evap core replaced at a dealer in Houston (Momentum BMW. Don't ever go there. Story for a different thread, but seriously, do not go there.)
I hadn't noticed any issues myself, but it was a warranty repair, and would probably need to be done eventually anyway, so I figured whatever. The AC compressor was also replaced shortly thereafter.

Now I notice drainage in the location pictured below. It's turning the undershield, which is basically cardboard, in to a soggy mess. There is enough water pooling up on the inside of the undershield that it soaks through and drips to the pavement.
I would expect to see condensation drips more toward the middle of the car, but not up at the front passenger side as in the picture.

I thought this might be oil from the boost hose at first, but I can confirm that it is not. It is, in fact, (cold) water.

Does anyone else's 335d (or other M57) dump condensation right there? What would cause this?

The first picture shows the water soaking the under shield on the front passenger side. The second shows some of the water pooled on the inside--it's not a great picture, but you can see the flash shining off some of the pooled water. It's the best I could do.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice on diagnosis?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #2
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Yep. That's where mine drips. Some days it drips more than others...especially when it's humid AF. As far as the undershield goes, I wouldn't worry about it. After all, it gets much more sodden when you drive it in the rain.

If you really wanted to prevent the condensate from pooling in the shield, you could try drilling a small (1/16" ?) hole in the epicenter of the wet zone.
Appreciate 0