E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Car Stuck On Jacks! Rear Shock Install Problem!

07-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
vtsng
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pre LCI E90 325i SGM

Car Stuck On Jacks! Rear Shock Install Problem!

I've followed the DIYs here to do the front coils and everything went rather smoothly.

When I came around the rears however, I'm having an issue aligning the outer control arm bolt back in through the knuckle and ito the bolt. This has left my car stuck in the garage on jacks for the next 15 hours (at least until I get back from work tomorrow). Also, after failing to put the bolt through to the nut on the other side of the knuckle, I removed the bolt to try repositioning only to find now that the middle piece cannot fit into the control arm slot anymore! I', left without a car to car to use now and am desperately needing help! Should've paid someone to do all this.

Here's a picture to illustrate the issues:

Thanks for any and all help! I really do appreciate it! If there's anybody in GVA that can do the remaining work asap, I'd be more than happy to pay for your services! I need to at least move my car out of the garage
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
e90TiAg335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 e90 335i

Garage List
2010 e90 335i  [7.00]
Just relax! It'll still fit. The bushing inside the knuckle moves around. You'll need to straighten it back out then move the control arm back and forth to get it to slide back in. Then take your time raising the control arm while moving the hub around and it WILL slide back in. Then it's just a matter of minor movements to get the holes to line up to get the bolt back in place. You may need to use a pin to help align it as well. Sometimes you also need to use a little persuasion to get the bolt all the way through. The biggest thing is to just take your time and not get frustrated! Good luck!

JB4, DP, VMR V710, Sonic Tuning S1 coilovers, Hybrid Ovations, Soundsplinter 10" and Zapco DC Ref amps
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
As the previous poster said, take your time.

On a side note, I really hope you don't have the car supported by just jacks.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsng View Post
When I came around the rears however, I'm having an issue aligning the outer control arm bolt back in through the knuckle and ito the bolt. This has left my car stuck in the garage on jacks....
I'm sure you meant jack stands, 'cause who'd leave their ride up on floor jacks?

You might loosen a few other control arm bolts to allow the suspension to move so that last bolt easily goes in. You may wish to move the wheel to normal ride height for part reinstall as that's where it has to be for final torque. Often, working on the camber arm, all that is needed is to jack the wheel up some.

Assume you know torque values + where normal ride height is.

A little patience, and it's done! Now about that payment....

Name:  Perfect 1.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  21.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Like the others said, raise the hub so that it's at normal ride height, and not drooping - that helps the bolt go in easier. Also, you can use a long screwdriver to sick through the hole and help align everything before putting the bolt in.
Appreciate 0