E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > F30 Performance brakes in E92 335i

04-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #1717
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai.M View Post
Yup, tried ebay, but it's mostly sellers from the US. Seems to me that Europe is too split-up still - each country has their own advertising platform and 'breakers' would rather use those (or none at all, as is the case in my country - even if you call them, they're like "Well, come over and we'll take a look, see what's in the back").
Recently found something in one of the EU Northern countries, waiting for a reply from them to see if they're willing to ship it over.
If price deference is great order one from US. I'm sure you can find someone from your area coming home to RO this summer that can bring it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #1718
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 e91

FYI, reached out to cquence and they measured some e60 rotors they actually had on hand at a little shy of 63mm height. They can match dimple and slot pattern like the OEM rotors but their dimpling process goes deeper and not as rounded. Not sure what I'm going to do about rears still I'd hate to shave the calipers just to get them to fit the wrong rotors.

Follow on Instagram: BlueM3wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #1719
mrnuke
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328i '09 E92 Track Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
FYI, reached out to cquence and they measured some e60 rotors they actually had on hand at a little shy of 63mm height. They can match dimple and slot pattern like the OEM rotors but their dimpling process goes deeper and not as rounded. Not sure what I'm going to do about rears still I'd hate to shave the calipers just to get them to fit the wrong rotors.
You could always go to a junkyard and scrap another set of rear knuckles and modify those instead of the calipers, so if you end up selling the car or upgrading brakes to something different, you can throw the stock ones back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #1720
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Maybe it's the photos, bit it doesn't look quite centered.
Yeah I edited my post once I got the rotor flush there more room on the front side than the back side. Need to get a micrometer and find out how far off, assuming that's what I'd need to mill off of the back side. The question is. If it's 6mm, so I just sell these rotors and get the e60 ones that I know or 6mm shallower (63mm) so I don't have to touch the calipers?
Yeah, on US specs I never understood the people who said it's not required to offset out-of-plane. Rather than just going with a dimension, just get the grinder out and be precise; measure, cut, test fit... until perfect. Not a tough job just measure a lot to keep surfaces flat and parallel. Bushing will address one of the modifications I was required to do. However, well worth it so don't trade down when you are this close!

P.s a 2h job tops from where you are now d.s

Long story short. I had planned to keep the rears because they were going to match the fronts I ordered. I basically got scammed so now ordered dimpled and slotted Zimmerman rotors from Bimmerworks. Since the fronts are dimpled and slotted would blank rears look better or still keep with drilled and slotted? I got a micrometer and I'm exactly 6mms off centered so the e60 63.2mm rears would be perfect!
I had custom ones made to match front, PM me if you want and I send contact, specs and information to order.
Inbox full
Inbox empty! Thanks for heads-up!

Here are ones I put in... works great and I think I ordered them for 535 (345) and Zimmerman's.
What was the manufacturer number on these rotors? And you said you had to mill 1-2mm off caliper?

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #1721
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I edited my post once I got the rotor flush there more room on the front side than the back side. Need to get a micrometer and find out how far off, assuming that's what I'd need to mill off of the back side. The question is. If it's 6mm, so I just sell these rotors and get the e60 ones that I know or 6mm shallower (63mm) so I don't have to touch the calipers?
Yeah, on US specs I never understood the people who said it's not required to offset out-of-plane. Rather than just going with a dimension, just get the grinder out and be precise; measure, cut, test fit... until perfect. Not a tough job just measure a lot to keep surfaces flat and parallel. Bushing will address one of the modifications I was required to do. However, well worth it so don't trade down when you are this close!

Long story short. I had planned to keep the rears because they were going to match the fronts I ordered. I basically got scammed so now ordered dimpled and slotted Zimmerman rotors from Bimmerworks. Since the fronts are dimpled and slotted would blank rears look better or still keep with drilled and slotted? I got a micrometer and I'm exactly 6mms off centered so the e60 63.2mm rears would be perfect!
I had custom ones made to match front, PM me if you want and I send contact, specs and information to order.
Inbox full

Here are ones I put in... works great and I think I ordered them for 535 (345) and Zimmerman's.
What was the manufacturer number on these rotors? And you said you had to mill 1-2mm off caliper?
On the fly reply, but this is what the eBay link look like for mine... hope this helps.
Attached Images

E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #1722
Mihai.M
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
If price deference is great order one from US. I'm sure you can find someone from your area coming home to RO this summer that can bring it.
Thank you for the suggestion! But nope, no close friends matching that description and I'm not desperate enough (yet) to ask 'acquaintances' for favors

In the meantime, as I'm chatting with cypis about the bushings, sounds like he'll help me get the MC from Poland!

Unfortunately I seem to be somewhat stuck with the front calipers :/ The guy that has a nice set for sale is not answering my PM anymore. So back to searching (as mentioned, would like to find the gray version as I'll have them painted a custom color anyway).

On the topic of rear discs: I was looking at 150.3461.54 / 55 from Zimmerman.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #1723
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Inbox full

Not sure on part #, as boxes are gone and installed. Sure they have it if you reach out to the seller. On the material, yes 1-2 mm and not very much as you can see here and perfect fit at this reduction in thickness. Also, remember to paint/cover upon completion.
Attached Images

E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #1724
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Curious as to why the need for paint ?
It's aluminium and so isn't going to rust. The bushings maybe but they'd be jammed against the knuckle on the car... meh
      04-18-2019, 06:50 AM   #1725
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Curious as to why the need for paint ?
It's aluminium and so isn't going to rust. The bushings maybe but they'd be jammed against the knuckle on the car... meh
To prevent oxidation.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #1726
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Might be a dumb question. I got my front Zimmerman dimpled and slotted rotors in today and realized the slots go up the same direction on both rotors? I assume the performance rotors are unidirectional. I'm ordering dimpled and slotted rears from R1 l, do I need to order 2 left rear rotors if I want them to match the fronts?

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #1727
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Quote:
To prevent oxidation.
FYI, aluminum oxidizes nearly instantaneously.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #1728
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
Quote:
To prevent oxidation.
Never known it to do that. I do live in a dry climate(relatively speaking)
      04-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #1729
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To prevent oxidation.
it's why you can't use any old welder on aluminum, it has to be void of oxygen.

Aluminum oxide is what you want, that's what makes it corrosion resistant.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #1730
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To prevent oxidation.
it's why you can't use any old welder on aluminum, it has to be void of oxygen.

Aluminum oxide is what you want, that's what makes it corrosion resistant.
I also painted it so that I can sleep at night, knowing how well I finished off and painted the back of the caliper at its point of connection!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #1731
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
There are lots of unpainted, untreated aluminium surfaces on a car and i dont see aluminium oxidising readily. It does happen but i dont see it as a massive issue. Particularly where it wont be seen on the mating surface of a brake caliper. Thanks for informing me though. Learn something every day as they say
      04-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #1732
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

The difference with those bare aluminum parts and the calipers in question is that the calipers are painted/powder coated, and when the corrosion starts, it spreads, and then the finish begins to fail and bubble/peel.

Besides, why is this such a matter of contention here? Why do we care?
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #1733
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The difference with those bare aluminum parts and the calipers in question is that the calipers are painted/powder coated, and when the corrosion starts, it spreads, and then the finish begins to fail and bubble/peel.

Besides, why is this such a matter of contention here? Why do we care?
May have been a slight dose of sarcasm from this side, but figured it would not do anything bad. However, to be back on topic - love these brakes, and especially for such a low $ cost/deal!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #1734
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Might be a dumb question. I got my front Zimmerman dimpled and slotted rotors in today and realized the slots go up the same direction on both rotors? I assume the performance rotors are unidirectional. I'm ordering dimpled and slotted rears from R1 l, do I need to order 2 left rear rotors if I want them to match the fronts?
Just ordered 2 lefts rear dimpled and slotted rotors 🤦. I hate that the fronts aren't directional but think it would look weird if the right side front and rear didn't match.

Appreciate 1
      04-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #1735
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are lots of unpainted, untreated aluminium surfaces on a car and i dont see aluminium oxidising readily. It does happen but i dont see it as a massive issue. Particularly where it wont be seen on the mating surface of a brake caliper. Thanks for informing me though. Learn something every day as they say
I still don't think you are quite grasping it all. any aluminum you see is already oxidized and resistant to any further corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:09 AM   #1736
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I still don't think you are quite grasping it all. any aluminum you see is already oxidized and resistant to any further corrosion.
Thanks.
      04-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #1737
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Just ordered 2 lefts rear dimpled and slotted rotors 🤦. I hate that the fronts aren't directional but think it would look weird if the right side front and rear didn't match.
It is odd, but the factory bmw performance rotors are not directional. I never noticed until I looked at the rotors sitting on the floor and saw they cuts went the same way on both sides. I suppose it doesn't matter as no one will be looking at the driver and passenger sides at the same time unless something terrible happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #1738
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_soarer View Post
Quote:
It is odd, but the factory bmw performance rotors are not directional. I never noticed until I looked at the rotors sitting on the floor and saw they cuts went the same way on both sides. I suppose it doesn't matter as no one will be looking at the driver and passenger sides at the same time unless something terrible happens.
Right, won't be noticeable as far as direction goes, just as long as the sides match. Note to anymore cutting rear e60 rotors to match M Performance ones!

The other thing I was thinking about, maybe this is me over thinking. The dimples and slots have coating on them, I'm getting the rotors dimpled after the coating is done. Wondering if I should somehow spray the slots and dimples with a silver rotor paint to protect them or will it not matter? Would hate for them to rust or not match.

Appreciate 0