E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New owner of 335i, mostly happy, but a few concerns!

04-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
byte[]
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2004 330i FI built

New owner of 335i, mostly happy, but a few concerns!

Hey guys, as the title says I just bought a 335i coupe with the sport package. I'm not new to BMW's, I have a built e46 and a f30 as a daily.. but this is the newest BMW I plan to build, which is a little intimidating as the E46 was already intimidating as it is.

Anyways, for now I plan to keep it stock maybe with a tune, it is a very nice feeling ride, but I do have some concerns. When flooring the car, I believe around 40mph I start to get some wheel hop. It's right when the car changes gear and the torque kicks in even harder. I haven't tried launching from a standstill or brake boosting yet, but I know it does burnouts without wheel hop just fine lol...

I also have run flats. It also doesn't do that weird wheel hop every time. I do believe the wheel hop is due to the run flats but I guess I just want some second opinions? Wheel hop at 40mph seems very odd to me. I don't know if I have any wheel hop under that because every time I've floored it traction control has kicked in. I'm scared to try without it because I feel like it'll hop much worse at the lower speeds and I don't want to do a number on my drivetrain.

Today I will throw on some 17in E90 wheels with standard tires and see if it still hops (assuming those fit?)

Another concern is I have a bit of oil burning from the very back of the engine bay. Not sure if the valve cover is cracked or not but I know the gasket has been done in the past 2 years. I guess I will just have to check. Is there any other oil leaks I should look out for?

My last question, and I don't know if this is the right place for it, is if I have a friend that already has purchased a tune from MHD, is it locked to his VIN or can we share it?

Here's a picture of the car,

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Last edited by byte[]; 04-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
dakine_surf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28

Sounds like transmission issues. How many miles? I'm assuming it's an auto, has the trans been flush? if it has over 50k it's due for a trans flush, if it never had a flush and is over 130-150k I might not flush it and just replace the trans when it gets bad.

Check the valve cover and the oil pan gasket for leaks, common issues and there are diy's on here.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Sounds like transmission issues. How many miles? I'm assuming it's an auto, has the trans been flush? if it has over 50k it's due for a trans flush, if it never had a flush and is over 130-150k I might not flush it and just replace the trans when it gets bad.

Check the valve cover and the oil pan gasket for leaks, common issues and there are diy's on here.
I don't really think it's the trans to be honest, it shifts gears smooth and doesn't slip at all. Still pulls when it hops.. it just hops. Car is 110k. I will def be flushing the trans soon, but the hopping feels more suspension related.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
dakine_surf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte[
;24667048]
Quote:

I don't really think it's the trans to be honest, it shifts gears smooth and doesn't slip at all. Still pulls when it hops.. it just hops. Car is 110k. I will def be flushing the trans soon, but the hopping feels more suspension related.
Could be trailing arms, or rear struts. If you still have full power and just getting wheel hop it's traction related. Those rft are really heavy, one could be bent and also throw things off as you described. Pull the wheels when you change them also check your bolts to make sure they are all correct lengths and straight. Check the bearings while you are back there as well.

Sorry I thought the way you described it, you were loosing power during the hop.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
El02bmw335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 2011 335i

Mhd is vin locked by the way
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Could be trailing arms, or rear struts. If you still have full power and just getting wheel hop it's traction related. Those rft are really heavy, one could be bent and also throw things off as you described. Pull the wheels when you change them also check your bolts to make sure they are all correct lengths and straight. Check the bearings while you are back there as well.

Sorry I thought the way you described it, you were loosing power during the hop.
I will definitely do that and report back to you. No no power loss, just an uneasy feeling hah.. Putting on e46 m3 wheels with normal tires to see if it fixes the problem. Hopefully they fit as I only have the front 2 wheels to put on the rear

Oh I also got a flat so runflats no longer
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El02bmw335i View Post
Mhd is vin locked by the way
I know thereís 2 things you have to purchase in mhd (the flasher and the map itself). are these both vin locked, or could I just purchase the writer for my car and use his map? Hope that makes sense
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
tisdrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte[] View Post
I know thereís 2 things you have to purchase in mhd (the flasher and the map itself). are these both vin locked, or could I just purchase the writer for my car and use his map? Hope that makes sense
Nah, gotta pay to unlock the OTS (off the shelf) maps.
      04-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
kens
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 335 Coupe

Before you tune, I think it's pretty commonly accepted that you need to upgrade the charge pipe at the same time/before. It's an easy way to get stranded. It's cheap and fast to DIY.

Also you need to go blackout that mesh asap, the gloss black grill with the bronze mesh is D:

Great buy though, you will be super happy if you get it to where you want it without any problems.

Edit, spark plugs and maybe coils too - things that you don't want misfiring with a tune.

Last edited by kens; 04-17-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
Nah, gotta pay to unlock the OTS (off the shelf) maps.
So are you saying you only have to pay $50 per car + the $100 flasher? I hope Iím making sense
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #11
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Before you tune, I think it's pretty commonly accepted that you need to upgrade the charge pipe at the same time/before. It's an easy way to get stranded. It's cheap and fast to DIY.

Also you need to go blackout that mesh asap, the gloss black grill with the bronze mesh is D:

Great buy though, you will be super happy if you get it to where you want it without any problems.

Edit, spark plugs and maybe coils too - things that you don't want misfiring with a tune.
Iím actually thinking about going with chrome grilles to be honest. Or chrome outline maybe. Regardless that trim is looking a little dull and could use some black paint.

Would I really need a charge pipe just for stage 1? I was hoping to keep the car pretty stock for now and just get a slight extra bit of power out of it. I have heard the VRSF charge pipes are good, is that true?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
BM3Rrrr
Crunchy Peanut Butter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

You don't need a charge pipe, people run MHD with stock CP's no probs.
I would do fresh plugs and coils at a minimum if you haven't already replaced them.
With regards to the MHD purchase, you need the Flasher, map pack you want, K+Dcan cable and an android device. I would also recommend the Monitor module for Datalogging. You will need it when you have an issue, first thing people will ask is to post a log.
      04-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
dakine_surf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
I would do fresh plugs and coils at a minimum if you haven't already replaced them.
With regards to the MHD purchase, you need the Flasher, map pack you want, K+Dcan cable and an android device. I would also recommend the Monitor module for Datalogging. You will need it when you have an issue, first thing people will ask is to post a log.
All of this^

Stock CP is ok as long as you run purely stage 1... If you do any of more aggressive maps you start chasing the dragon of parts needed.

Get the logging as it will save you when you do end up having issues.

When it comes to MHD, don't try to cheap out... its already about as cheap as can be. $100 for the flasher (does some cool stuff) + $50 per tune is nothing... Show me where else you can get 50 HP for less than $200.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:28 AM   #14
byte[]
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Quote:
All of this^

Stock CP is ok as long as you run purely stage 1... If you do any of more aggressive maps you start chasing the dragon of parts needed.

Get the logging as it will save you when you do end up having issues.

When it comes to MHD, don't try to cheap out... its already about as cheap as can be. $100 for the flasher (does some cool stuff) + $50 per tune is nothing... Show me where else you can get 50 HP for less than $200.
Previous owner upgraded coils and plugs, flashed stage 1, coil burned out. Upgraded coils and now so far so good on MHD stage 1!.... besides the wheel hop. When I WOT at 40 it's extremely violent wheel hop now. Feels like your bones are going to shatter. Like the car is being powered by a jackhammer. I'm only running one runflat on the rear now (my tire blew out so for now ive only replaced just the one) but maybe when I replace the other this issue will be resolved. Only one way to find out I guess...

Last edited by byte[]; Today at 12:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:11 PM   #15
whyzee125
Major
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Is the traction light blinking? I wonder if itís a slight misfire. My old n54 would have a bit of a tugging sensation like wheel hop when the valves were getting caked up with carbon.
Appreciate 0