E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > do fixed calipers in rears exist anymore?

04-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

do fixed calipers in rears exist anymore?

General BMW question.....drove the new G20 with track package at the event, and they have floating calipers in back. But so did the Alpina B7, M5 (even with carbon ceramic rotors), X3M.

The M2 comp had fixed calipers, the only car I could find with fixed calipers in the rears..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Considering the rear brakes do 20-30% of the stopping, I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with fixed rear calipers in order to save on production costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I think probably 99% of BMWs have floating calipers - even M cars.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17286.50
      04-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay, the real question...

Whadda ya think of the G20?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I think probably 99% of BMWs have floating calipers - even M cars.
To me, fixed calipers are like "coil-over" suspensions, sounds really cool, but pointless on a street car. If you track the car, then maybe it makes sense so you can tune the suspension and drop in race pads. My truck has fixed calipers, by the time comes to reline the brakes, the rotors are shot and the pads are so caked in brake dust and corrosion, you have to pull the calipers anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

I liked it....could not really get a good feel for the steering because we were driving them in autocross conditions. Wanted to take it out on the street but we messed up there, did that too late so all the good cars were not available, to include a M2 comp and M5 (dang)...

The only thing that was bad was the price tag....they were loaded up and almost 60k...ouch....for a 4 cyl 330....but I did like the car...
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2425.00
Efthreeoh17286.50
      04-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
To me, fixed calipers are like "coil-over" suspensions, sounds really cool, but pointless on a street car. If you track the car, then maybe it makes sense so you can tune the suspension and drop in race pads. My truck has fixed calipers, by the time comes to reline the brakes, the rotors are shot and the pads are so caked in brake dust and corrosion, you have to pull the calipers anyway.
hehe I was thinking of putting Bilstein coilovers on the 335 for no other reason that they would be cooler than OE....I just like the idea that the "good" cars have the better hardware, and was surprised even a M5 with carbon ceramic rotors had seemingly tiny floating calipers on the backs....

p.s. my uncle said to always remove the calipers. On my Lexus, I pulled the old pads out, and used a screwdriver to pry the pistons in. He said that's a great way to bend a piston or tear a seal.

I also figure the fixed calipers are applying pressure on both sides so they don't start to fail when a guide pin gunks up....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

*bend* a piston? What does he think brake calipers made out of, lead? lol.

I always just pushed them in with whatever means necessary.

Last edited by hassmaschine; 04-21-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
hehe I was thinking of putting Bilstein coilovers on the 335 for no other reason that they would be cooler than OE....I just like the idea that the "good" cars have the better hardware, and was surprised even a M5 with carbon ceramic rotors had seemingly tiny floating calipers on the backs....

p.s. my uncle said to always remove the calipers. On my Lexus, I pulled the old pads out, and used a screwdriver to pry the pistons in. He said that's a great way to bend a piston or tear a seal.

I also figure the fixed calipers are applying pressure on both sides so they don't start to fail when a guide pin gunks up....
The trick I use is to open the bleeder and push the piston in. The brake fluid easily dumps into a catch bottle and the piston can be easily with hardly any effort.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:

not true at all.

I serviced a cadillac catera last month. It had fixed calipers in the rear.
both sides had uneven wear because the pads were hung up in the calipers. Who knew the last time it had been serviced. it took me 20 minutes a side to get teh wheel off. mad rusty.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #11
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Quote:

not true at all.

I serviced a cadillac catera last month. It had fixed calipers in the rear.
both sides had uneven wear because the pads were hung up in the calipers. Who knew the last time it had been serviced. it took me 20 minutes a side to get teh wheel off. mad rusty.
The caddy that zigs.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The trick I use is to open the bleeder and push the piston in. The brake fluid easily dumps into a catch bottle and the piston can be easily with hardly any effort.
Ah, I see, that makes sense.....so the fixed caliper really does have a purpose on the track.

With the Lexus, part of the procedure is to replace the 2 caliper bolts, and they cost $5 ea on a good day. So I figured why not save $20-$25, since I don't need the rotors to come off, by just replacing the pads from the top. Also you get that effect where you press one in, the other comes out, like a see saw when doing the two on the same side of the rotor....that is with the bleeder closed...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
*bend* a piston? What does he think brake calipers made out of, lead? lol.

I always just pushed them in with whatever means necessary.
This seems to be designed with avoiding damage in mind. It's not exactly inexpensive though lol

https://autoplicity.com/9258151-haze...hoCwr8QAvD_BwE
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
The caddy that zigs.
yo uknow, it was definitely not a domestic car. Shame it didn't do better, maybe GM would have brought over some sportier euro market stuff. That chassis with a ls in it would have killed m5's of the day.

nice car and the owner loves it. Parts availability is atrocious and the high feature v6 in it is a disaster of coolant leaks and bad things.

I told her when something bad happens in the engine compartment she's probably scrapping it, because a this point it doesn't justify 2 grand worth of motor work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The caddy that zigs.
yo uknow, it was definitely not a domestic car. Shame it didn't do better, maybe GM would have brought over some sportier euro market stuff. That chassis with a ls in it would have killed m5's of the day.

nice car and the owner loves it. Parts availability is atrocious and the high feature v6 in it is a disaster of coolant leaks and bad things.

I told her when something bad happens in the engine compartment she's probably scrapping it, because a this point it doesn't justify 2 grand worth of motor work.
It was funny, I hadn't seen one in forever but I ended up seeing a fairly decrepit one right after posting that...

GM and euro sporty though, technically Saab? I do miss saab...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #16
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

Quote:

Looks like a rebadged lexus in the rear. Front looks good. Like the specs but wish we had NA. Interior is clean and simple as usual. Looks better than the A4 and CTS, but the S60 and C Class look better imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:24 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFiftyWon View Post
Looks like a rebadged lexus in the rear. Front looks good. Like the specs but wish we had NA. Interior is clean and simple as usual. Looks better than the A4 and CTS, but the S60 and C Class look better imo.
No NA and no MT = a no-go for Efthreeoh.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

That works but even just opening the fluid reservoir helps. I started using channel locks, much quicker than a clamp. I just make sure I never press against the piston directly. I use the old brake pad or a piece of wood
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
General BMW question.....drove the new G20 with track package at the event, and they have floating calipers in back. But so did the Alpina B7, M5
Even with floating calipers in the back, I had no problem slowing down from 135mph in short distance with the f90 M5 at Monticello. I agree they don't look the best but they will definitely work just fine for the majority of people that drive any of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It was funny, I hadn't seen one in forever but I ended up seeing a fairly decrepit one right after posting that...

Opel.

everything had opel markings.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Even with floating calipers in the back, I had no problem slowing down from 135mph in short distance with the f90 M5 at Monticello. I agree they don't look the best but they will definitely work just fine for the majority of people that drive any of these cars.
Just still surprised these cars wouldn't get "the best" possible, even if it made no difference....I mean even some cars that are sporty with nowhere near the capabilities get Brembos for looks....

That B7 does 205 mph, it of course needs great brakes!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #22
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Opel.

everything had opel markings.
I miss seeing Opel too... Used to live in Russia, they were everywhere.
Appreciate 0