E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help. New 335D front end constantly scraping.

04-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Need help. New 335D front end constantly scraping.

I just got a used 335d m-sport. The front end is very low and constantly scrapes over even minor dips. I pulled the wheel off assuming the suspension was modified, but it appears stock.

I have no issues with my 135i on the same dips....

Can someone else with a 335D take some front end clearance measurements for me of the stock clearance so I know if the suspension needs to be changed? I'm currently sitting about 1.5" lower than my 135i. I'm assuming this is not a stock setup, but would like confirmation.

I get the feeling someone lowered the car and I need to change springs in the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

I have a diesel with sport suspension and can take measurements for you when I get home from work (in a couple of hours). But in the meantime, a couple of things to note:

1) I think the difference in the M-Sport front bumper might be a contributor. The more "angular" styling of the e90 M-Sport front bumper over the non-M-Sport might contribute to a shallower approach angle.

2) Depending on the age of the struts (are they original?) you could just be dealing with blown or worn out struts. Putting on new ones (even OEM level replacements) might give you back some ride height that's been lost over the years. Just millimeters of change can have dramatic effects on approach and break-over angles.
Appreciate 1
tgxmike18.00
      04-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #3
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
I have a diesel with sport suspension and can take measurements for you when I get home from work (in a couple of hours). But in the meantime, a couple of things to note:

1) I think the difference in the M-Sport front bumper might be a contributor. The more "angular" styling of the e90 M-Sport front bumper over the non-M-Sport might contribute to a shallower approach angle.

2) Depending on the age of the struts (are they original?) you could just be dealing with blown or worn out struts. Putting on new ones (even OEM level replacements) might give you back some ride height that's been lost over the years. Just millimeters of change can have dramatic effects on approach and break-over angles.
Quote:

Thanks, measurements would be much appreciated.

I never thought about the bumper angle itself. I wouldn't expect that to make a huge difference. BMW doesn't usually change the height characteristics of there cars between trim levels.

I'm just assuming something in the suspension is off and needs replaced. But I want to make sure before I dump money into the car. These things are cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There was no point measuring at the front bumper as ours are different. The best data point is between center of wheel hub and fender lip as show in the picture below.

I measured 13.25 inches.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
There was no point measuring at the front bumper as ours are different. The best data point is between center of wheel hub and fender lip as show in the picture below.

I measured 13.25 inches.

My wheel well to center of wheel is also 13.25". So it looks like the suspension is at stock ride height. My 335D front fender is still about 0.75" lower than my 135i. Looks like it's time to take the fender off and see if something is not right there.

Thanks for the quick help.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wanted to double-check that what I was telling you was right. I was super busy this afternoon and in the rush to get back to you I had a feeling I might have overlooked something. Mine actually measures 13.75 inches. Apparently somewhere between the driveway and my computer I developed dyslexia. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the 1/2" of lost ride height could definitely be explained by worn struts. That's about what I gained back after replacing mine.

Again, apologies for any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I wanted to double-check that what I was telling you was right. I was super busy this afternoon and in the rush to get back to you I had a feeling I might have overlooked something. Mine actually measures 13.75 inches. Apparently somewhere between the driveway and my computer I developed dyslexia. Sorry about that.

Anyway, the 1/2" of lost ride height could definitely be explained by worn struts. That's about what I gained back after replacing mine.

Again, apologies for any confusion.
Ah phew that makes this much easier! Just need some new/upgrade parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #8
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Good luck with the repair. Also, congrats on the purchase of the M-Sport diesel. Those are hens' teeth. Wish I could've found one (for a reasonable price) when I got mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Good luck with the repair. Also, congrats on the purchase of the M-Sport diesel. Those are hens' teeth. Wish I could've found one (for a reasonable price) when I got mine.
Quote:
It was definitely a good fine. My girlfriend actually found it like 500 miles from where we live. We picked it up and so far it has been a typical used BMW diesel. Only had to replace the charge pipe, TPMS module, 4 injectors, bmw assist module, all the NOx sensors, all the belts, and walnut blast the intake. So suspension seems like a breeze. I'll just combine it with the brake rotors and pads I still need to do.

I still love it though! And the warranty I bought was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

I too have an Msport Diesel with driveway scraping problems. I measured at nose and the chin is lower than a sport. Both have identical suspension. My suspension was no where near worn out at 52,000 miles. I eventually got a nice set of Ground Control coil overs and raised all 4 corners 1/4” and no more scrape. I did it same time as I put in M3 control arms, M3 swaybars. I heavily immitated Calwaterboy’s setup except for the bimmerworld adjustable toe arms I used.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I too have an Msport Diesel with driveway scraping problems. I measured at nose and the chin is lower than a sport. Both have identical suspension. My suspension was no where near worn out at 52,000 miles. I eventually got a nice set of Ground Control coil overs and raised all 4 corners 1/4” and no more scrape. I did it same time as I put in M3 control arms, M3 swaybars. I heavily immitated Calwaterboy’s setup except for the bimmerworld adjustable toe arms I used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I too have an Msport Diesel with driveway scraping problems. I measured at nose and the chin is lower than a sport. Both have identical suspension. My suspension was no where near worn out at 52,000 miles. I eventually got a nice set of Ground Control coil overs and raised all 4 corners 1/4" and no more scrape. I did it same time as I put in M3 control arms, M3 swaybars. I heavily immitated Calwaterboy's setup except for the bimmerworld adjustable toe arms I used.

My car is almost at 90k miles. I'm probably going to do a budget coil over set and I need to do brakes to o so I might get a big brake kit. I saw what seemed like reasonable prices on K Power products..... not sure how good they are though. Still researching.

Do you have some links to the setups you mentioned?
Appreciate 0