E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Exhaust Help (Headers + ?)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #45
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2541
Rep
4,271
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

I would absolutely put them back in. There is not one single benefit to not have your O2s installed.......
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #46
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
2178
Rep
5,041
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

you can do without the post-cat sensors. You just need to delete the codes if they are missing, and set it up to only use the pre-cat sensors. That would be up to your tuner.

Otherwise, it's easiest to just put them in and delete the 2 codes for cat efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #47
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Got some good footage/audio of setup today, is rendering now and will have uploaded soon
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #48
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

The burble tune can cause quite a racket and seem like too much sometimes. However if you change how you drive you can minimize the sound somewhat. It's starting to grow on me, but I might still get a variant of the tune without it so I can switch between. It'd be awesome if there was a way to adjust the aggressiveness of the pops. Anyways, here she is:

Appreciate 2
      07-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #49
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Needbmwpartzz's Avatar
683
Rep
2,554
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kitchener/Waterloo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
The burble tune can cause quite a racket and seem like too much sometimes. However if you change how you drive you can minimize the sound somewhat. It's starting to grow on me, but I might still get a variant of the tune without it so I can switch between. It'd be awesome if there was a way to adjust the aggressiveness of the pops. Anyways, here she is:

You sure you got the burble tune.....that sounds like the ghetto tune,likely to get shot at in certain neighbourhoods....pop ...pop....pop!!
Just jks!
But seriously that should be track only sound FX.....car burbling is good with just PE...and rest stock.
If I were you I would buy some Kevlar vests
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #50
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
You sure you got the burble tune.....that sounds like the ghetto tune,likely to get shot at in certain neighbourhoods....pop ...pop....pop!!
Just jks!
But seriously that should be track only sound FX.....car burbling is good with just PE...and rest stock.
If I were you I would buy some Kevlar vests
If I heavy foot it till about 4k and let off, after a second or two of engine braking it legit sounds like a cannon going off

Yea it sounds awesome when you're on it, but just putting around it can be a bit much.. Hence I left that valve in the muffler enabled (helps a bit albeit not that much). If you're too slow with your shifts, sometimes it will pop just shifting from gear to gear around 3k RPM
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #51
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2541
Rep
4,271
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

Not a fan of artificial burble tunes at all, but I've found my setup pops and cracks on decel naturally quite a bit after hard throttle acceleration. It's even easier to manipulate by gently breathing on the throttle pedal on decel as well. Totally unobtrusive and at my discretion for the most part.

That, I can live with instead of constantly making popping noises everytime I decel, as with a "burble tune."
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 1
Noir395.00

      07-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #52
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2541
Rep
4,271
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

Update: just installed a Vibrant 1141 resonator on the car to reduce the drone. It's certainly cut the drone out to the point of where it was prior to headers. The rasp has been toned down quite a bit too. Still pops and crackles lol.
Current setup: Roundelwerk headers > secondary cats > y-pipe > Vibrant 1141 resonator > Magnaflow 13266 muffler.

I'm going to evaluate this configuration for a few days and see if I want to reduce the drone even further. At that point I would likely swap the muffler back to stock and remove the Vibrant resonator as well to keep it a bit more free flowing.
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 1
Noir395.00

      07-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #53
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Not a fan of artificial burble tunes at all, but I've found my setup pops and cracks on decel naturally quite a bit after hard throttle acceleration. It's even easier to manipulate by gently breathing on the throttle pedal on decel as well. Totally unobtrusive and at my discretion for the most part.

That, I can live with instead of constantly making popping noises everytime I decel, as with a "burble tune."
To each their own. Sounds like your setup would be similar to the one on my last e46. You should capture some sounds while moving so we can get a decent comparison. The burble tune is a bit much during casual driving, but it brings one hell of a smile to my face when I'm on it
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #54
FlaPatsFan
Captain
464
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Nice sound when it isn’t snap crackle and popping. That would drive me crazy. But to each their own. Good thing with exhaust is you can play with the configuration to suit your liking.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #55
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
431
Rep
851
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Update: just installed a Vibrant 1141 resonator on the car to reduce the drone. It's certainly cut the drone out to the point of where it was prior to headers. The rasp has been toned down quite a bit too. Still pops and crackles lol.
Current setup: Roundelwerk headers > secondary cats > y-pipe > Vibrant 1141 resonator > Magnaflow 13266 muffler.

I'm going to evaluate this configuration for a few days and see if I want to reduce the drone even further. At that point I would likely swap the muffler back to stock and remove the Vibrant resonator as well to keep it a bit more free flowing.
Would you say that it reduced the overall volume at all, or only the volume at low RPMs (drone)? I'm assuming the latter, but just curious. I ask because I see that you got Vibrant's "ultra quiet resonator" which almost sounds (based off their description) like a glass-pack straight-through style muffler. Any chance of getting another video just like yours before as a comparison for the interwebz?

Last edited by atmosphericM; 07-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #56
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
431
Rep
851
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
The burble tune can cause quite a racket and seem like too much sometimes. However if you change how you drive you can minimize the sound somewhat. It's starting to grow on me, but I might still get a variant of the tune without it so I can switch between. It'd be awesome if there was a way to adjust the aggressiveness of the pops. Anyways, here she is:
Thanks for the vid. Is this a gopro or something suctioned to the outside of the front windscreen? Any chance you can suction it to the rear bumper and get a quick vid?

Sheesh, and to think that you still have the stock cat-back system!

Last edited by atmosphericM; 07-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #57
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2541
Rep
4,271
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

I'll post videos shortly.

Just viewed dwashy 's video. Mine does not pop anywhere close to how the BPC tuned one does - at all. It's far more subtle and not anywhere near as frequent, thankfully.
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 11:51 PM   #58
Taskmaster
Major General
Taskmaster's Avatar
Japan
2046
Rep
8,573
Posts

Drives: E92 LCI Msport 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

The stock exhaust flows like Shit.
The diameter is too small, the muffler is restrictive, and the shit is heavy.

There are plenty of options out there on exhaust - the only reason you should modify it is for power.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #59
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Thanks for the vid. Is this a gopro or something suctioned to the outside of the front windscreen? Any chance you can suction it to the rear bumper and get a quick vid?

Sheesh, and to think that you still have the stock cat-back system!
Stock cat-back minus the secondary cats. GoPro on windshield with an actual Rode mic attached to my tow hook, pointing at the exhaust. I can try in the future
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #60
gT-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
84
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
The burble tune can cause quite a racket and seem like too much sometimes. However if you change how you drive you can minimize the sound somewhat. It's starting to grow on me, but I might still get a variant of the tune without it so I can switch between. It'd be awesome if there was a way to adjust the aggressiveness of the pops. Anyways, here she is:

whoa this sounds so sick!!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #61
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
431
Rep
851
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
Stock cat-back minus the secondary cats. GoPro on windshield with an actual Rode mic attached to my tow hook, pointing at the exhaust. I can try in the future
The cat-back starts after the cats.

Sounds good though, good man with the external mic. I only asked for the rear bumper video for sound purposes, so no reason for that now! cheers
__________________
Black Sapphire 328i ///M Sport Coupé
Save the Manuals!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #62
dwashy
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
The cat-back starts after the cats.

Sounds good though, good man with the external mic. I only asked for the rear bumper video for sound purposes, so no reason for that now! cheers
Haha yea that's right I guess. Used to cars with cats located only at the headers
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #63
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
431
Rep
851
Posts

Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: B'ham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Heh, I feel you. TBH, there has been some contention around here regarding which piece of our exhaust should be referred to as the "mid-pipe."

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the video's sound is coming from right at the exhaust exit. When I assumed that those noises were that loud all the way on the front windscreen I was like DAMN.
__________________
Black Sapphire 328i ///M Sport Coupé
Save the Manuals!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #64
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
230
Rep
1,648
Posts

Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Quite a few guys don't do the muffler delete without the the secondaries. I am of the opinion of getting a BMW PE or other aftermarket muffler and use a resonator. My setup is Eisenmann catback and AA headers. No secondaries and it comes with a resonator, when fully warmed up it's quite mellow, but will scream and backfire when going WOT and downshifting aggressively, the exhaust shoots flames some times too lol
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 2
Noir395.00
dwashy21.00

      07-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #65
freedomfries
Daily Driven
freedomfries's Avatar
Canada
320
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: BC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2009 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
Got the headers and tune installed last night. Getting the OEM headers off was actually pretty easy. Few studs came out, but no issues overall. Installing the new headers however was quite the PIA. Ended up having to remove one of the exhaust studs for clearance to get both banks mounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I just got my headers installed with a friend's help yesterday. Man, what a huge bitch. Everything was fucking rusted out underneath. Ugh, I hate winter...
Did you have to modify the engine mount or headers to get them to fit? I'm thinking of changing my exhaust set up to catless headers + stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #66
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2541
Rep
4,271
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

No modifications to anything. Straight plug and play.a
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST