E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What Maintenance, knowledge, etc?

01-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
prozach
Private
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i SPORT / PREMIUM

What Maintenance, knowledge, etc?

Good evening!

I just purchased my 2006 BMW 330i (6-speed, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Heated Seats) and LOVE ... LOVE the car, but feel like I don't know as much about it as I should.

Every car I've purchased as a project or daily in the past I've done months and months of research before buying, but this was a bit of a knee jerk purchase ... I found a great deal, it was the exact options I wanted, and I was nervous to pass it up!

*Currently 46K miles, 75K kms*

What maintence schedule should I know for these cars? \

Common problems?

Suggest oil?

Most common / favorite modifications?

ANYTHING else that comes to mind... What did you learn in the first year of owning your E90?

Thanks for taking me out of the dark!

ZB.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

hey man. i was waiting on your pm. can you let me know whether you want it or not at least? congrats on your purchase and welcome!

i'd say something but i know 330i is different maintenance scheduling than 335i so i'll let gurus to join and chime in...

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach View Post
Good evening!

I just purchased my 2006 BMW 330i (6-speed, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Heated Seats) and LOVE ... LOVE the car, but feel like I don't know as much about it as I should.

Every car I've purchased as a project or daily in the past I've done months and months of research before buying, but this was a bit of a knee jerk purchase ... I found a great deal, it was the exact options I wanted, and I was nervous to pass it up!

*Currently 46K miles, 75K kms*

What maintence schedule should I know for these cars? \

Common problems?

Suggest oil?

Most common / favorite modifications?

ANYTHING else that comes to mind... What did you learn in the first year of owning your E90?

Thanks for taking me out of the dark!

ZB.
Fairly rock solid when compared to the E46 which itself wasn't bad.

Valve "tick" would be the only annoyance for you if it does it.

Maintenance is run by the computer for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I have a '06 325i, which is basically the same car you have less 40 HP. I have 103,000 miles on my car.

Just use the BMW 5W-30 and bmw filter for the oil service. Change the oil either when you want to or by the on board daignostics system. There's a few discussion threads regarding oil and oil change intervals on this board.

Common problems are:

Peeling door handles.

Steering wheel may squeak. - mine did for a few months off and on, but it's gone away now.

Steering lock may fail - BMW was replacing steering columns for a while, then they changed the software. My car had the problem, I got the software update, it happened a few times after that, but not for the past year.

You'll feel the windshild wipers through the pedals.

The HVAC blower may squeak in very cold temperatures. - Mine did the first winter in 2006. Now it one of the bearings quietly ticks. The radio blocks it out. I may replace it sometime soon.

Get rid of the runflats.

The VANOS/Valvetronic system is noisey upon cold engine start. It may bug you.

A few cars are seeing valve cover bolts breaking causing oil leaks.

A few of us are now seeing failing thermostats. It will throw a SES light.

Get a Bavarian Tech Scanner; it's a good diagostic tool to have if you do your own work.

The 325 and 330's are very reliable.

Good luck with the car. BMWs are persnickity. They'll behave strangely at times; problems crop up then go away. My advice after 20 years of BMW ownership with 3 different cars, is don't over react to little stuff and give the car a chance to work itself out.
Appreciate 0