E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Various electrical questions

11-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
mattegreythree
Rep
Drives: E90 3 Series

Various electrical questions

Hi all just signed up after a little look around. I have a few different questions and really I'm not sure if they should be in separate threads but I'll list them here for now lol.

I have a 2006 318d M Sport that's basically been made to look like an M3.

Firstly it has parking sensors in the bumpers but the wires don't go anywhere and I don't know if it originally had parking assist, how would I get it set up to work on the screen? It has the parking assist button in the center but I haven't tried to follow the wire as the bumper wires weren't connected anyway.

Secondly it has puddle lights and lights on the door handles but they don't light up, again i'm sure they don't lead anywhere. Would it be possible to wire them correctly to the original loom? I'm not sure if the original car bought had these lights and it wouldn't surprise me if the doors are from another car :/ lol.
If not I think I could easily enough wire the puddle lights to the interior light if need be. Could I also feed the handle lights from this? Being LED's I think I'd need some kind of resistor but I really don't know

Thirdly I got this message that comes up saying Dynamic Damping Control failure. I did look it up briefly before but only found links to people with real M3's.. lol. So is it just coming up because of something the guy has done before and it isn't actually doing anything or do I have a problem?

Any help appreciated, cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Oh wow, what a mess. No problem though.

It would be useful to have your fault codes read with BMW ISTA D and to see your VO and coding.

1. The PDC issue is easy. I guess maybe you don't have PDC from factory but have had used bumpers put on the car which came from a vehicle with PDC.

See this Retrofit guide if you want to actually see if you have the module installed. http://zorc.net/misc/online/E90_PDC_Retrofit.pdf

2Re puddle lights. Is this not standard on the e90? I thought it was. Maybe not though. In any case, they'd need wiring to the footwell module FRM, located funnily enough by drivers footwell near to the obd port.

3. Not sure about this without seeing the car and looking at diagnostic data. Can't imagine EDC has been retrofitted....

Any photos of this vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
mattegreythree
Rep
Drives: E90 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Oh wow, what a mess. No problem though.

It would be useful to have your fault codes read with BMW ISTA D and to see your VO and coding.
I was planning to get some kind of app to read and change software, what should I be looking for?

Quote:
1. The PDC issue is easy. I guess maybe you don't have PDC from factory but have had used bumpers put on the car which came from a vehicle with PDC.

See this Retrofit guide if you want to actually see if you have the module installed. http://zorc.net/misc/online/E90_PDC_Retrofit.pdf
Yeah that's what I would assume, I had a quick look but couldn't see any evidence of the module. I'm fine with buying one and doing the wiring myself, just not sure how easy it is to get it working on the screen etc?

Quote:
2Re puddle lights. Is this not standard on the e90? I thought it was. Maybe not though. In any case, they'd need wiring to the footwell module FRM, located funnily enough by drivers footwell near to the obd port.
Maybe the lights at the bottom of the door are but as far as I know the ones on the outside door handles aren't and they're the ones I'd like to get working most really.

Also I found this regarding the foot well FRM to check if I would have a fuse to them but this doesn't even say it's where they're wired to? https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/Footwe...onnections.htm

Quote:
3. Not sure about this without seeing the car and looking at diagnostic data. Can't imagine EDC has been retrofitted....
Yeah exactly. Maybe the screen etc is also from an M3 so it thinks it is one haha

Quote:
Any photos of this vehicle?
None that will do it justice, I'll try and get a couple taken
Appreciate 0