E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Kw V1 vs. V2 vs. V3

06-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
CRS
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Kw V1 vs. V2 vs. V3

I've been reading and doing some research but performance wise, what are the main differences? I am a little confused since their pricing isn't too different. Please let enlighten me!

I am asking because I am thinking of getting one of the three!

From what I know.

V1 = Street
V2 = Street/Track
V3 = Track

Thanks!

Last edited by CRS; 06-10-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
RedlineMotorworks
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6.2L F-150 Raptor

V1s are just height adjustable. These are for someone who just wants to lower their car and have a nice "out-of-the-box" setting in terms of ride quality.

V2s are height and damping adjustable. These are the more popular of the 2 amongst E90/E92 owners in our experience. You can lower your car and adjust the damping to be soft or stiff depending on what you like or where you're driving (street or track).

V3s are height adjustable and have independent rebound and damping adjustablilty. There are lots of things you can tweak and for most people, you don't need it. These are more for people who split lots of time between the street and track and really want to dial in their car to their exact needs.

The V1s will be the least expensive but a couple hundred dollars separate each variant.

We're one of the few Authorized Canadian dealers for KW so if you need a quote, please don't hesitate.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
kell0w
Rep
Drives: m235i

thanks redline for explaining it into more detail

i was also debating if the 2's were much different than the V1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

V1 = Street = height adjustable only.
V2 = Street = height and rebound adjustment
v3 = Street = height, rebound, and low speed compression (not fully adjustable like some vendors will make it seem).
      06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
CRS
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineMotorworks View Post
V1s are just height adjustable. These are for someone who just wants to lower their car and have a nice "out-of-the-box" setting in terms of ride quality.

V2s are height and damping adjustable. These are the more popular of the 2 amongst E90/E92 owners in our experience. You can lower your car and adjust the damping to be soft or stiff depending on what you like or where you're driving (street or track).

V3s are height adjustable and have independent rebound and damping adjustablilty. There are lots of things you can tweak and for most people, you don't need it. These are more for people who split lots of time between the street and track and really want to dial in their car to their exact needs.

The V1s will be the least expensive but a couple hundred dollars separate each variant.

We're one of the few Authorized Canadian dealers for KW so if you need a quote, please don't hesitate.
Sweet, thanks!

I wanted to get a PM for price of both the V1 and V2 from the GB thread in the Canada Classifieds but I guess you read this first! Either way, a quote for your best price on the V1 and V2 please!

Last edited by CRS; 06-11-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
I bought the V1 and wish I got the V2

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

KW V1 is the ideal system for customers wishing to rely on the experience of KW engineers, yet determine their own degree of lowering. In extensive driving tests our engineers have set the dampers for the best balance between sporty driving, comfort and safety. You will have the ability to adjust the height of the vehicle with pre-set damping by the engineers at KW.

The KW V2 is a system intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs. The adjustable rebound damper allows adjustment of the pitch and roll behavior of the vehicle, adapting it to one‘s own driving preferences. You will be able to adjust the height of the vehicle with the ability to also adjust the rebound damping. Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling

The KW V3 is state-of-the-art technology for the skilled and experienced driver. The separate and independent compression and rebound damping options allow a truly individual driving set-up. These unique systems with the 3 individually adjustable components, allows for adjustment of the compression of the damper in the low-speed range, while the high speed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been preset by our engineers. You will be able to adjust the height of the vehicle as well as both rebound and compression settings. The compression characteristics are adjusted utilizing a new, patented valve at the lower end of the damper casing. The number of pre-installable parameters available for this valve allow for settings for just about any application required. The unique low-speed pressure adjustment is the decisive feature of this technology. In this absorption area the handling of the vehicle is greatly influenced. An increase in the damping force supports the vehicle even during compression, thereby preventing pitch, roll and notably improving cornering behavior. In association with independent adjustable rebound absorption the experienced driver has all the parameters required for effective suspension tuning.

The most popular system by far is the KW V2 because it gives you the best of both worlds in terms of adjustments! I do have a special going on for all you E90post guys so shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all!

- Alan
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      09-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
m3whip
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | E90 330i

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [9.00]
V2 all the way!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Note: V2 do not fit Xdrive models.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
j.t.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineMotorworks View Post

So would you recommend the v1 or v2 for just daily driving? I'm leaning towards the v1. Also I'm in Canada and would love to get these installed for the summer.
      04-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t. View Post
So would you recommend the v1 or v2 for just daily driving? I'm leaning towards the v1. Also I'm in Canada and would love to get these installed for the summer.
For that money with Ohlins in the $1800-2000 I'd be hard-pressed to buy anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #12
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
KW V1 is the ideal system for customers wishing to rely on the experience of KW engineers, yet determine their own degree of lowering. In extensive driving tests our engineers have set the dampers for the best balance between sporty driving, comfort and safety. You will have the ability to adjust the height of the vehicle with pre-set damping by the engineers at KW.

The KW V2 is a system intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs. The adjustable rebound damper allows adjustment of the pitch and roll behavior of the vehicle, adapting it to one‘s own driving preferences. You will be able to adjust the height of the vehicle with the ability to also adjust the rebound damping. Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling

The KW V3 is state-of-the-art technology for the skilled and experienced driver. The separate and independent compression and rebound damping options allow a truly individual driving set-up. These unique systems with the 3 individually adjustable components, allows for adjustment of the compression of the damper in the low-speed range, while the high speed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been preset by our engineers. You will be able to adjust the height of the vehicle as well as both rebound and compression settings. The compression characteristics are adjusted utilizing a new, patented valve at the lower end of the damper casing. The number of pre-installable parameters available for this valve allow for settings for just about any application required. The unique low-speed pressure adjustment is the decisive feature of this technology. In this absorption area the handling of the vehicle is greatly influenced. An increase in the damping force supports the vehicle even during compression, thereby preventing pitch, roll and notably improving cornering behavior. In association with independent adjustable rebound absorption the experienced driver has all the parameters required for effective suspension tuning.

The most popular system by far is the KW V2 because it gives you the best of both worlds in terms of adjustments! I do have a special going on for all you E90post guys so shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all!

- Alan
KW3s here
Corners and handles like on rails
Totally worth the extra money to be able to fine tune settings
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t. View Post
They dont make V2 for Xi (assuming you have that based on your profile) so the only option really is V1.

I had V2 on my RWD and I have V1 on my Xi. Both daily drivers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
For that money with Ohlins in the $1800-2000 I'd be hard-pressed to buy anything else.
Yeah but they seem to be a pain with fast rebuilds of 25k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 01:24 AM   #15
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Yeah but they seem to be a pain with fast rebuilds of 25k miles
meh, after reading more it seems like people regularly push them to 40-50k. Plus, no coilover retains it's "like new" performance after 50k...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
Ml3456
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 & 335i E93

30,000 miles on them and the rears are leaking. $400 to rebuild. Ouch!! Might think about putting V2's on the back. Ohlins nice but have a very short seal life.
Appreciate 0