E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No MULF, No Nothing

05-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
stoop_uk
Rep
Drives: 2009 318d

No MULF, No Nothing

Hi,

I recently picked up a 2009 E90 and assumed it had BT enabled because of the buttons on the HU and steering. After looking on here and spending some time on YouTube and Google, it looks like I need a MULF unit.

I've seen a few on eBay and the prices are pretty decent. The only thing is, when I look in the trunk/boot where the MULF should go, there's no wiring harness. Nothing at all.

I've read some stuff on here about cars not being prewired for BT, but I've not seen anything about it not being prewired at all. What are my options?

Thanks!

Stewart
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

In the US pre wiring continued till 2009 other country's may vary.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

i can supply all parts needed if your radio is professional or you have idrive
      05-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Wardys
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoop_uk View Post
Hi,

I recently picked up a 2009 E90 and assumed it had BT enabled because of the buttons on the HU and steering. After looking on here and spending some time on YouTube and Google, it looks like I need a MULF unit.

I've seen a few on eBay and the prices are pretty decent. The only thing is, when I look in the trunk/boot where the MULF should go, there's no wiring harness. Nothing at all.

I've read some stuff on here about cars not being prewired for BT, but I've not seen anything about it not being prewired at all. What are my options?

Thanks!

Stewart
I have a 2010 e90 . Same no MULF or pre wire .

From what I understand you can buy a later Pro radio model that has the BT built in . There are a few on Ebay around the £200 mark . You can fit this apparently and purchase and install the MIC . After that it needs to be coded to the car . All ok if you can do it I guess , but the guys on here seem really helpful .

There's a Bluetooth retro mode fit in this forum which looks better but agin needs coding .

Parrot kits with a steering wheel CAN bus box looks a good option also . I'm stuck really on what I want to do, so I'll look at this thread to see what comes up .
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardys View Post

From what I understand you can buy a later Pro radio model that has the BT built in . There are a few on Ebay around the £200 mark . You can fit this apparently and purchase and install the MIC . After that it needs to be coded to the car . All ok if you can do it I guess , but the guys on here seem really helpful .

There's a Bluetooth retro mode fit in this forum which looks better but agin needs coding .

Parrot kits with a steering wheel CAN bus box looks a good option also . I'm stuck really on what I want to do, so I'll look at this thread to see what comes up .
i also have such kit - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1360537
      05-31-2018, 05:01 AM   #6
stoop_uk
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I saw a couple of those. That's probably the route I'll take. Don't really want a bunch of visibile after-market stuff...

Quote:
That's another option. I'll maybe end up doing this as a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
soulgod123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 318lci 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoop_uk View Post
Hi,

Stewart
remove that cover on the left side in the trunk and there you should able to find wiring.
have you checked it allready?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
soulgod123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 318lci 2008

i believe you must have base system, best way is to add aftermarket radio, if you want to keep wheel controlls, parkings sensors you pay extra +-80£, so you have bt, usb, free hands plus you can add amps easily
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #9
Wardys
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulgod123 View Post
remove that cover on the left side in the trunk and there you should able to find wiring.
have you checked it allready?
Ahh I thought that wiring was kept under the boot parcel area . I thought the wiring to the left is for CD changer . Is there more wiring under that left panel then ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

europe cars with prewiring are very rare, while most us cars until 2008/09 have prewiring
      06-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

My car is pre-wired, so I added the MULF to it (brackets, mic, BT speaker, etc). "Pre-wire" is a bit of a misnomer, as you still have to reroute the Fiber Optic line to the MULF (behind the rear-seat bolster), as well as re-pin the wires for the mic (behind the glove box). Additionally you would have to run the USB and AUX lines to the center console, if you want that functionality (or the AUX retained). What I'm trying to say is it is not an easy drop-in job.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably go the later factory radio replacement route which has BT built in.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #12
stoop_uk
Rep

Hey,

It's been a while and I realised I didn't do a follow-up post. I ended up not bothering with a MULF unit or aftermarket HU. I picked up a BT receiver which plugs into the Aux port, and I power it from the cigar lighter with a USB adapter. For £12, I thought this was the easiest/cheapest/best option.

Link here if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers.
Stewart
Appreciate 0