E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > 5 Favourite Marques and 5 Least Favourite Marques!

05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
5 Favourite Marques and 5 Least Favourite Marques!

Another little quiz, like your five cars for under £50K!

I'll start the procedings, five fave five least fave and reasons why!

My Five Favourite Marques.

1. Porsche - You all knew it would have to be, for being Porsche, not another brand like it, for being unique, for surviving against the odds. Not forgetting the beautiful, awe-inspiring cars they make that are in reach of everyone (not new - fair enough but everyone can own a Porsche : ))

2. TVR - Why? Plastic British sports cars built in a Blackpool shed that smell of glue, often go wrong, sound utterly amazing, supercar performance for shopping car money, says it all, we are British, we should be proud of our eccentric tastes and TVR just sums up what a British sports car is all about I love them and can't wait to own one!

3. Lamborghini - The car of the devil, over the top Italian extreme, what is not to love?

4. BMW - For the M Cars, for the M1, Z1 and other limited production specials. Mainstream, affordable and fun. BMW = RWD in a FWD dominated world, is it any wonder they sell so many?

5. Ferrari - Who doesn't dream of owning a Ferrari? They have made some of the most beautiful cars both looking and sounding ever produced, they are admired even by people who aren't really into cars.

And my 5 least favourite marques!

1. Toyota - From the heady days of the MR2 turbo and Supra, to boring FWD hatches, and the Prius monstrosity, Toyota have gone from producing some boring mixed with some very capable cars to producing the most horrible FWD shopping cars A shame.

2. "Chevrolet" - Why oh why rebrand the Daewoo cars "Chevrolet"

3. Aston Martin - Now this may cause a little controversy, I really do not like Aston Martins, I don't understand what posessed people to aspire to them, to me they are dreadfully ugly, don't have great performance to the amount they cost, they don't turn heads, one Marque I will never, ever understand, each to their own.

4. VW - never ever appealed to me, just seem a bit too ordinary, run of the mill and boring. I personally see nothing special in them at all at the same time I have no interest in Hot Hatches so original Golf GTis and the like aren't anything interesting to me, hence I don't "get" VW!

5. Saab - Another GM company in here, I was going to put Vauxhall then remembered both the VX220 and the Monaro which almost made me forgive them a little then remembered the Corsa, Astra and Vectra, yawn mobiles behond belief lol, in the end I opted for Saab - another Marque I just don't "get" and have no affection for what so ever!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Favs

1. BMW - Had loads and they have all been good to drive and reliable.
2. Skoda - Quality at a sensible price.
3. Porsche - Special but usable everyday

Not so good, I cannot really think as I have never owned anything I did not like.
      05-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Favourites:

1. Lotus (because of the Exige and Elise)

2. BMW (because they insist on rear wheel drive)

3. Lamborghini (because their cars are still wild and I'd rather have a raging bull than a prancing pony)

4. Jaguar (because they still have some sense of englishness, and Jonathon Palmer used their bits to make the Jaguar JP)

5. Porsche (because love em or hate em they are bloody quick cars)

Least Favourite:

1. Smart (because it's not big or clever)

2. Mercedes (because it's fur coat and no knickers)

3. Kia (because I don't need a warranty)

4. Hyundai (for making the most gutless ever 2.7 litre V6)

5. Audi (because they make decent cars, but send the power to the wrong wheels)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

It showed up in new posts, so I had to chime in... even from another country. Pardon my glaring Americanism

Fave 5

1. Ferrari - I wouldnt be surprised if this got at least 1/3rd of the number 1s. It got me into cars in the first place. Passion, beauty, and performance. It's automotive perfection.

2. Porsche - Used to think they were overrated until my old man got a 911S. Never has one test drive changed an opinion so greatly.

3. Audi - No one makes better interiors. None of the other germans feel as solidly built. And its wonderful having a car that you dont see everywhere because the posers everywhere arent buying them for status. The S5, the R8, the TT, and the A8!? Huge improvements on what used to be a blah lineup. Audi's making massive strides.

4. Acura - Maybe not so much anymore, but they used to make the most underrated cars on the planet. The Legend was one of the greatest cars of the 90s and i've never had a bad experience having one or living with one. I hope they turn things around (no more rsx or cl, the "revised" RL, and the ridiculously underpowered tsx are huge disappointments), but I've always said that my dream garage would be a Ferrari as a once a month, a Porsche as a once a day, and an Acura as a DD.

5. Lexus - the only japanese manufacturer that stands toe to toe with the bigs from germany. I'm not old enough for one yet, but they'll always have my respect.

Runner up- Hyundai: I've been rooting for them since 2000. I love to see them proving the haters wrong.5

Least Fave 5 (from least hated 5 to most hated 1
5. Mercedes - 80% of their owners buy them for the show factor. I dont find any of their models to be superior to the competition except the C63. The only other cars that I find appealing in their lineup are grossly overpriced (a CL550 or above that costs more than a 911S? An S550 that starts at $15k more than an A8L!? I'll pass). I love the C63 though, and because of this up and coming trend of sportier more early-90s benz quality cars, they are teetering on getting off my bad list.

4. BMW - I'm going to be grilled at the stake for this. But the build quality has gone down so far. The cars dont drive like they used to. They've gotten to japanese looking (what's with all the newfound curvyness!). They're just so grossly overrated. The 3er is the only car that I find to be better than its competition. I never liked the 6 series. Coming from an M-sport E39, I found the E60 to be massive, floaty, and just unbmwlike. There's nothing I like about the 7 more than the A8 or S. I do like the Z4, especially the Z4M. Thats a great car for them. I suppose my dislike for BMW comes from the Lebron-factor.. aka when you have a billion fanboys that proclaim you as king when you really arent doing anything to earn that title. While Benz is getting more performance oriented and "hardcore", BMW seems to be going in the opposite direction. Because I take stronger interest in what BMW does (obviously), i'm angered by their current actions and direction more than the other companies, thus they end up in the 4th spot.

3. Infiniti - Not really a big hater. But you drive an Acura and then a BMW it seems natural for them to be on the least favorite list. They havent made a car as comfortable as the J30 since, well, the J30. They let the Q45 die. And the M45 has got to be the gaudiest damn car out right now.

1. Ford/Lincoln - Why does Lincoln still exist? Seriously! Make something new and competitive for people under 60! When your flagship is an SUV, your company is lacking. And ford... ford ford ford. How about you let Americans get your good cars? And Mustang owners and their anti-import anything, macho man, no replacement for displacement attitude makes me nauseous. Not that they're all this way... but boy, they're out there.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Favourites:

1. Lotus (because of the Exige and Elise)

2. BMW (because they insist on rear wheel drive)

3. Lamborghini (because their cars are still wild and I'd rather have a raging bull than a prancing pony)

4. Jaguar (because they still have some sense of englishness, and Jonathon Palmer used their bits to make the Jaguar JP)

5. Porsche (because love em or hate em they are bloody quick cars)

Least Favourite:

1. Smart (because it's not big or clever)

2. Mercedes (because it's fur coat and no knickers)

3. Kia (because I don't need a warranty)

4. Hyundai (for making the most gutless ever 2.7 litre V6)

5. Audi (because they make decent cars, but send the power to the wrong wheels)
May I please add Kia and Hyundai to my Least Favourite? Good choices, may I add

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Avenger - Nice to have some imput from over the pond Interesting to see the differences in what we look for as Nations too! Pleased to have your imput!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Kia are on the up at the moment the Proceed looks like an Audi A3 3 dr and comes with a 7 year warrenty for 2/3rds the price of the A3. Not saying it's ground breaking but I do not feel its a 'cold shower'. Plus I reakon the dealers would treat you top notch if you went to buy.
      05-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

great topic man

my favs are :

1- Porsche. Affordable yet classy, fun to drive, best german engineering, very well designed and the fact it's a Porsche

2- M devision of BMW. For making some of the best cars ever e.g. e30,e46 M3.

3- Lotus. I just love the way a 1.8 Liter Lotus outperforms a V8 almost every time and in every way ... impressive

4- Pagani. The Zonda is just amazing and is my #1 dream car in my dream car list

5- Rolls Royce. The best in it's class. Though one would only expect that level for the amount of money paid.

least fav.

1- Toyota. They are simply rubbish.

2- Rover. For the same reason above.

3- Citroen. They never produced anything special + the same reason above.

4- New age Chrysler/Dodge. Very cheap when it comes to quality.

5- Honda. For having such crowd.
      05-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
You can add them, but you'll have to remove 2 of the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Kia are on the up at the moment the Proceed looks like an Audi A3 3 dr and comes with a 7 year warrenty for 2/3rds the price of the A3. Not saying it's ground breaking but I do not feel its a 'cold shower'. Plus I reakon the dealers would treat you top notch if you went to buy.
You must resist Gibbo. Warranties are not that important
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

companies / brands I like:

1. Honda - Recent designs are quite rubbish, but they make some of the best engines in the world. The nsx and the s2000 are two of my favourite cars, and Honda's fwd performance cars (Type R especially) are pretty good too.

2. BMW - I don't really know how to explain why I like BMW, but it might be because I really like their designs (all eras). There's something about the way they do things that just clicks with me. Then there's the fact that they drive very well, and that they are well positioned in the market (with the high residuals and the inclusive servicing/warranty). They make great engines too. I especially like the products which have been developed under Bangle.

3. Mercedes Benz - Only recently have I come to appreciate Mercedes' vintage designs. I don't like their new stuff, save for a few models - but for sure, MB used to make the best cars in the world.

4. Toyota - This company knows how to run itself. Very well. If only GM had the same business sense. Long term thinking = long term success. Though their current adm offerings are quite sedate, I think that we are going to see a lot of exciting products from Toyota, especially through Lexus (GSF? LFA? Supra Successor?).

----------------------------------------------
companies / brands I dislike

1. Hummer - I can't really take someone who drives a hummer seriously. I can accept that many people are ignorant about cars, or have unusual taste - but for someone to go out and buy a hummer really demonstrates a higher level of stupidity. If they wanted something that looked 'big and tough', they could have bought an MB G-wagen or maybe a Jeep. Why Hummer? They can't even manage off-roading for fucks sakes. H2, H3 or whatever they have now, all look ridiculous. Bonus points if you have oversized chrome wheels.

2. Volkswagen - It's not that I don't the like the company (ag), but I really hate the VW branding. They really need to fire / hang their marketing team. The adverts they use are horrible - flower power? fuck that. and they should change their logo - so ugly. Moreover, what's with the high priced vehicles? can you really sell cheap Mexican made econoboxes in the same brand as high end luxury sedans? Sounds like they want to be like MB, only they are doing it wrong.

3. Chrysler llc - shit design, shit engineering, shit manufacturing, shit materials, shit product, shit management. This company had potential, especially with the MB merger. I suspect the major reason it didn't work out was because of the management in play. I hope Cerberus can do a good job sorting this company out, otherwise they are bound to fail.

brands I see potential in:

Audi - used to be very boring, but is now getting better with designs like the new RS4, S5 and R8. The current A8/S8 is very good looking, as is the new TT. I can see this brand getting a lot more popular over the next 5-10 years. It's too bad they only use FWD and AWD. It should be RWD and AWD.

Jaguar - the new XF really impressed me. If Ford can make cars like that, then I think they can really turn the brand around.

and that's all I can think of at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'll make this a little more personal as you need to own/drive some cars to love or loath them. Here is my top five cars/brands I have owned, hired or had as a company car

1. BMW E91 320d M Sport Touring - has to be the best car I have owned on many levels.....would love a E91 M3!!!

2. Porsche - from my first 924 in 1989 to Cayenne (I did work for Porsche so had company cars to play with). Wish I had bought shares in them during early 90's. My username might suggest which one I'd like to own now.

3. BMW again!! - 1974 2002 Tii - Old and tatty but great fun to drive. Even at 30 years old still gave some friends in their 2.0 rep mobiles a shock down the dual carraigeway!! Would love to own a 1974 3.0 CSL Batmobile, M1, 2002 Turbo

4. Ford - RS cars - 1984 RS1600i - I have owned two of these, once in 1989 and again in 1998. I'd buy another tomorrow. I'd also like to own many others including RS500, RS200, RS3100 Capri!!, RS Mexico Mk II

5. Lamgorghini - No I haven't owned one!!! But would love an 80's LP5000s in white as per the poster on my bedroom wall at that time!

The top loathes in no particular order as they are all crap!

1. Daewoo - more specifically the Nubira which I had as a hire car in my new job for 3 weeks. I thought my boss was taking the piss as I had moved from Porsche. However the hire company was pulling a fast one.

2. Toyota - The dullest car company by far and that includes Lexus!! I had a Avensis thankfully only for a few weeks.

3. Vauxhall - Having to endure a Vectra presently until the new Touring arrives. If I described this car fully I'd be banned from this forum. This car is marginally better than the Zafira I had for one week until I complained to the hire company to change it. They gave me this Vectra instead...Arhh!!

4. VW - I know its a close relative of Porsche and they are taking the Saxony region to court to overthrow the VW Law but this is a dull brand. Hated the Bora and Passat I have had. At least they allow Porsche to become stronger.

5. All American cars and brands - Just don't get it. They don't look good, they don't perform even with their 242,000,000 cubic inch Hemis, they drink half of Texas yearly oil yeald on one trip to the shops and the yanks think that a sports car is defined by rock hard suspension and heavy steering. I have had several Chryslers through a previous job.

There you have it.

Last edited by Carrera RSR; 05-30-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
1) Lamborghini
2)Ferrari
3)Koenigsegg
4)BMW
5)Bentley

worst shiightboxes

1)Kia
2) Chrysler
3)fiat, only because they made the multipla, i actually love the new 500 though. Amazing there both from the same stable.
4)Seberio
5)Mitsufishi
      05-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
(because it's fur coat and no knickers)
Yes but its comfortable...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
Top 5

1. Bugatti (VW) - because they did the impossible. A 250mph+ auto with electric seats and sat nav? We are at least a decade away from any other manufacturer achieving this.

2. BMW - How every car must be good to drive. From their cheapest to the most dear. The mass produced performance car. Also, one of the few manufacturers left to be their own company. Not owned by anyone else, no part sharing (PSA not incl. )

3. Honda - Mad respect, for their innovation and their VTEC engines. I see them as the Japanese BMW's.

4. Pagani - Perhaps the only car I would ever have over a Veyron. For me it has the best 'image' in the world. But not as much value for money as a Bugatti. Just look at the interior!

5. Lambo - Probably their designs. Although they are owned by Audi (and so on), when you drive one you forget all about 'part-sharing'! However, they are the only supercars I have ever driven, so I will reserve judgement or the competition..
Oh and how they SOUND!!

Bottom 5

1. (The Worst) Chrysler - Still confused as to why they are still in existence. Oh yes, the fact that 0% of their cars are exported out of their home country.

2. Ssangyong - LOL :
http://www.ssangyonggb.co.uk/Pages/P...=SsangyongHome

3. Vauxhall - No one says that a cheap(er) car producer can't make cars which have desirability / passion. No car does it for me in their lineup. OK, I have read the VX220 is a good car, but why copy Lotus and expect to sell more?

4. G-Wiz - I admire what its trying to do... well, rather here than in the Top 5. Why not have a body designed like a Gallardo, and have the standard engine? At least that would be a start.

5. Citroen - Nice looking. But I don't like how bits of the interior break in my hand. (Fragile)

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Favs.

1. Has to be a Porsche now - having now driven 2 different models I can honestly say I didn't realise a car could come so close to being nearly as much fun as a motorbike. A nearly new Porsche is more or less affordable as well.

2. BMW 3 Series (6 cylinder variants), whatever fuel the car 'drinks' they are smooth, quick, comfortable, handle better than their equivalent rivals and are a 'nice place to be'. Build quality could be better in the cabin though imo.

3. This may not be popular but wtf. Sporty Fords for sheer affordable fun and overall aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Well done Ford for always building engines that concentrate on the important overtaking speeds and not balls out 0-60 and top end.

4. Bentley - for very impressive, fast, luxurious continental cruisers and sheer presence.

5. Land Rover! Mainly the 'proper' ones. Love em' or hate em' they are the ubiquitous and original work horse. Over 75% ever built are still running. And they were a British classless icon.

Not favs.

1. Most of the Rover cars and driven by flat cap wearing, stick to the speed limit, I've bought British (Japanese) brigade. Embarrassing when the skills are there to build far better.

2. Citroen Picasso - cheap, nasty and dangerous (horrendous electrical faults), and you see them everywhere.

3. Average Mercedes. Dull, boring, average handling, over priced and suspect build quality (apparently improving).

4. VW Passat. Possibly the most boring car ever produced and driven by bored reps. or Mr balding who wishes he could affford a 3 Series.

5. Audi - the A3 (Golf?) and the A4 (run of the mill variants). Just boring all round and you never see them being thrashed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Yes but its comfortable...
"comfortable" is not a valid criterion when selecting a car
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

Quote:

?

comfort is a serious factor

what's the point of having a fun car if it tires you after 20 minutes?

comfort, safety, visibility and amenities might not be so exciting to discuss

but they are crucial criteria for car selection, especially for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I wasn't talking about cars, I was talking about wearing a fur coat with no knickers... its very comfortable...
Appreciate 0