E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealer says I have a oil pan gasket leak..

01-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
lol that's like a doctor diagnosing an 80 year-old man with "gray hair".
While they're at it, if the car has at least 60k, they might as well recommend new shocks in the rear for $1,200 as well, most likely the bump stops are swollen and the boots ripped. If we all did everything the dealer recommended, it would literally add up to more than the wholesale value of the vehicle itself....now they wouldn't consider if the shocks are doing their job before they up and replace, now, would they? That's reserved for CPOs and cars under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #24
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaming View Post
wants $1400.00 to fix. I check my levels regularly and have not noticed and perceivable drop in level.How critical of an issue is this ? Need to be done?
If your good at turning a wrench, have a small, hand held torque wrench and an ample supply of sockets & extensions, you can do this repair for under $100.00.

Search for DIYs on this forum. There are plenty. If you are over 125k, the dealer is probably being truthful. Most oil pan gaskets are on borrowed time past 125k.

I'd also change the pre-cat o2 sensors
"while your in there" since they will be easy to get to once you drop the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #25
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Why do so many BMW gaskets leak? I don't get it. They leak on older models, newer models, even the M cars leak oil like crazy.

My oil pan gasket is leaking too and I'm leaving it like that until I feel like DIY or find a great price at an indy. I see no visible oil where I park (aside from the prior OTHER leaked gaskets) and the oil level is stable between changes.

An Indy offered to fix my OPG at a little over $1,000. No thanks.

I've replaced my OFHG, VCG, and now the oil pan? And this happens to almost everyone....why can't BMW get it right?
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #26
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Why do so many BMW gaskets leak? I don't get it. They leak on older models, newer models, even the newer M cars leak oil like crazy.

My oil pan gasket is leaking too and I'm leaving it like that until I feel like DIY or find a great price at an indy.

I've replaced my OFHG, VCG, and now the oil pan? And this happens to almost everyone....why can't BMW get it right?
German engineering? lol

My rear main was replaced as well. I know it is a seal and not a gasket but close enough
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Why do so many BMW gaskets leak? I don't get it. They leak on older models, newer models, even the M cars leak oil like crazy.

My oil pan gasket is leaking too and I'm leaving it like that until I feel like DIY or find a great price at an indy. I see no visible oil where I park (aside from the prior OTHER leaked gaskets) and the oil level is stable between changes.

An Indy offered to fix my OPG at a little over $1,000. No thanks.

The M44 in my wife's Z3 needed a complete timing cover gasket overhaul and OFHG, which means a new VCG too since the valve cover bolts into the timing cover. It was a mess! But she's been dry for 2 years now (the car that is...).

The pan however, is leak free after 20.... Go figure.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #28
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texus View Post
$1400 buys a bunch of oil.
and that is exactly why I haven't done mine yet. No drips on the garage floor, and I have had my belly pan off for a month to see how bad the leak is.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #29
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

I've been quoted $1500 by two independents.... I have an "xi"....

Seriously think about jacking it up and putting my cribbing under it, put the engine support on it and just start disassembling the whole front underside.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #30
cschiavoni
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daenerys - blk 2011 328xi

I had oil pan gasket leak fixed at a dealer and it was around $500. Your estimate does seem high.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:17 PM   #31
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiavoni View Post
I had oil pan gasket leak fixed at a dealer and it was around $500. Your estimate does seem high.
That is crazy low for a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #32
e36power
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaming View Post
wants $1400.00 to fix. I check my levels regularly and have not noticed and perceivable drop in level.How critical of an issue is this ? Need to be done?
I had the same issues. FWIW, I drove around with mine leaking for a while after Nalley diagnosed it. Maybe two years. The only reason I fixed it was because I was sick of topping off the oil every 6-8 weeks (it was getting progressively worse) and I plan on keeping the car long enough that I would eventually have to do it.

As far as price, that is good price for a dealership based on what I was quoted. But I would recommend an indy. Sport Motoring in Decatur did mine. I would recommend them if you ever get down that way. Good people over there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #33
mrucker71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 x5 3.0i & 2007 335i

Severe engine oil leak

Help please on a 2007 335I sedan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help Please

Hello folks, I am new to the site. A little about myself, I own a 2003 BMW X5 3.0I that currently has 225k miles on it and I own a 2007 BMW 335I Sedan with 105k miles currently on it.
My question is on the 335I.
I took it to the dealer a week ago to have an alignment, battery cable recall and an inspection performed on it at Jackie Cooper BMW in Edmond, OK.
They said on the report, there is a oil filter housing leak and the transmission seal is leaking. I drove the car back home and parked it over the weekend and drove the X5. Monday, I drove the 335I to work where it sat until I left for lunch. When I returned to my parking spot, I saw a puddle of oil where I had parked previously. I thought nothing of this as someone parked there on 1st shift earlier that day also I smelled burning oil earlier that day while driving but assumed the smell was coming from the car in front of me. Well, I decided I would park in a different spot just to be sure and check later when I got off work if there was a puddle under the car. Sure enough there was. I started the car and let it warm up then checked the oil level. It said I was 1/2 a quart low. I put it in gear and drove off. Then I notice where I was parked early and left for lunch was a trail of oil. I got on the highway and was concern about the level and kept checking it periodically. The level was lower every time I checked it. I had to stop for gas so while I was there decided to check the oil again and could smell oil burning on the exhaust. The level was below the minimum. I noticed an oil trial where I pulled in to the station. I added a quart and drove home.

Well I assumed the leak was coming from the oil filter housing as the tech mentioned on the report. Over this past weekend, I replaced both gaskets for the oil filter housing and the transmission cooler on the side of the oil filter housing. I put the car back together, put oil back in it and started the car and let it warm up. I thought it was fixed. I looked under the car and oil was pouring out. I forgot to mention before I put everything back on the engine, I checked the valve cover gaskets for any sign of leakage. There was no leaks around the valve cover gasket. Also, I did notice oil that had seeped from the oil filter housing before the repair, down the side of the block and onto the oil pan gasket. I cleaned this area and wiped the oil off the side of the oil pan lip. Here is my concern, I don't know if it is a stock gasket but the oil pan gasket over lapped the oil pan by at least a good 1/2 inch. It was rubber over hanging the oil pan but it appeared to still be sealing the between the engine surface and the oil pan. I don't know for sure if the oil pan is leaking when pressure is present as I have not removed the covers yet. Also I noticed the covers were pulled down as in forced down as someone was looking inside (Technician). I was wondering if maybe there is something like a hose that could have been pulled loose? Anyone have any ideas? I am suspecting possibly the oil pan gasket needs to be replaced but any ideas on anything else that could cause this that I can check would be greatly appreciated.
I do all repairs myself on my vehicles. I just can see paying someone thousands of dollars to fix someone I am very capable of doing myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #34
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That's when I discovered the real problem with an oil pan leak on the N52.

The rear of the pan protrudes into the bell housing. When the pan gasket leaks, the air circulation created by the clutch (the pressure plate has fan blades stamped into it to cool the clutch) draws the oil from the rear of the pan and spreads it all over the inside of the bell housing.
What do you mean? Your car was just re-engineering itself. Porsche touts being all smart with their PDK gearbox clutched being bathed in oil. Your car was just way ahead of the times

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
Got mine done by an Indy for $600... Don't pay stealership pricing
ArcticRik I'm also in Orlando, which Indy did you use?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #36
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Quote:
Hey I actually got mine done while I was living in KC for a year. But local to Orlando I would contact Mike at Double Down Garage! He does amazing work and really knows his stuff, Ive taken my car to him for various thing so far
Appreciate 1
VA081.50
      10-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #37
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Quote:
Hey I actually got mine done while I was living in KC for a year. But local to Orlando I would contact Mike at Double Down Garage! He does amazing work and really knows his stuff, I?ve taken my car to him for various thing so far
Appreciate the reference, I?ll look him up
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:19 AM   #38
Austin LeNomad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

It's a good lesson in DIY vs cost at dealership

I did mine, it did take me quite a while (20+) hours to go slowly and do it right, dropping the subframe, carefully removing items, tightening all those bolts, but it came out to about $200 total, including the tools (I needed a cheap engine holder). But I didn't have to pay any extaa-ordinary amount to a dealer, and I learned a lot about my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #39
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

It's a big job. I believe the book says 6-8 hours...just had mine done...was like 900 all in at my trusted indy. Get is done.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #40
brads2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin LeNomad View Post
I did mine, it did take me quite a while (20+) hours to go slowly and do it right, dropping the subframe, carefully removing items, tightening all those bolts, but it came out to about $200 total, including the tools (I needed a cheap engine holder). But I didn't have to pay any extaa-ordinary amount to a dealer, and I learned a lot about my car.
What engine holder did you use and did it work well?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #41
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxrick View Post
It's a big job. I believe the book says 6-8 hours...just had mine done...was like 900 all in at my trusted indy. Get is done.
Zero reason to get the oil pan gasket fixed unless you are losing a ton of oil.. I lose about a half qt per year if that. My pan has been leaking for almost 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #42
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Zero reason to get the oil pan gasket fixed unless you are losing a ton of oil.. I lose about a half qt per year if that. My pan has been leaking for almost 3 years now.
I'm losing about 1 liter per 10k miles... I may if it ever hits 1 per 5k.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #43
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
A) I was losing more than that
B) There are plastic shields under the oil pan which creates an additional mess
c) I take care of my car and don't let shit like this go unfixed.

I plan on keeping my car which is a DD...thats why I got it fixed. That's my reason..to each his own.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      10-24-2017, 09:38 PM   #44
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

They all do it if it hasn't been replaced. If you're not dripping on your garage floor or losing enough for to notice, it can be put off a while. Mine has had a slight seeping that can be seen when changing the oil for quite a while. Level never gets low and I don't get any drops on the ground. When I do, i'll have it replaced. Also, as others have said, shop around and when it's time you can get a much better deal than taht.
Appreciate 0