E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replace brake wear sensors? Brake fluid?

09-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #1
1932blownhemi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Cpt...

Replace brake wear sensors? Brake fluid?

After searching on this site I've decided to replace the pads & rotors on my '08 335i with Stoptech drilled & slotted rotors (mostly for looks) & Stoptech sport pads. I'm getting the parts at Tirerack. Street driving & occasional fast driving through mountain roads. Car has 183000 miles on it. Last brake job I had the brake lines replace with stainless ones. Just wanted to state what I was doing in case anyone had any comments before I asked a couple of questions. Should I replace the brake wear sensors? And Tirerack has Stoptech STR-600 brake fluid. Is this good for my driving? I didn't see this listed on the brake fluid sticky... Thank You! Bill
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1932blownhemi View Post
After searching on this site I've decided to replace the pads & rotors on my '08 335i with Stoptech drilled & slotted rotors (mostly for looks) & Stoptech sport pads. I'm getting the parts at Tirerack. Street driving & occasional fast driving through mountain roads. Car has 183000 miles on it. Last brake job I had the brake lines replace with stainless ones. Just wanted to state what I was doing in case anyone had any comments before I asked a couple of questions. Should I replace the brake wear sensors? And Tirerack has Stoptech STR-600 brake fluid. Is this good for my driving? I didn't see this listed on the brake fluid sticky... Thank You! Bill
Yes, replace the sensors. As long as the brake fluid is synthetic DOT 4, it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

In theory you should replace worn brake sensors if you want to be notified when your pads reach replacement stage.

I simply removed the sensors altogether from the caliper, but left them plugged in with the two wires cut and connected to each other.

I inspect my pads few times a year.
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
Donutz139.50
      09-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Yes, replace the sensors. As long as the brake fluid is synthetic DOT 4, it should be fine.
Old school maintenance suggests new brake fluid 2yrs/30k miles. I'd bet that's more important than "brand.":

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Old school maintenance suggests new brake fluid 2yrs/30k miles. I'd bet that's more important than "brand.":
Idk about brand per say. I use Amsoil brake fluid. Yes, change it every 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Idk about brand per say. I use Amsoil brake fluid. Yes, change it every 2 years.
So you use Amsoil in the crank case too? Me neighbor uses it in van, truck, car, snowmobiles, motor cycles, etc.... He absolutely swears by the stuff.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you use Amsoil in the crank case too? Me neighbor uses it in van, truck, car, snowmobiles, motor cycles, etc.... He absolutely swears by the stuff.
I when you say crank case, do you mean front differential or transfer case?

In the front and rear differentials, on an AWD car/ suv BMW, Amsoil makes fluids for them. I do not believe Amsoil makes transfer case fluid for the BMW's. I have always used the BMW fluid for that. It's sucks because the BMW fluid for the transfer case is like $45-60 a litre/Qt.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
1932blownhemi
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank You for all the replies! Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
1932blownhemi
Private
United_States
Rep

Ended up getting Stop Tech Drilled Rotors with Stop Tech Sport Pads from Tirerack. They didn't have the drilled & slotted so just got drilled. Rotors, Pads & Brake Sensors for $551 shipped to my door. Local shop charged $170 to put them on. The local 'Certified Shop' that wouldn't put them on unless they got the parts wanted $1450 to do it! It stops on a dime! Thank You for all the help! Now I can get back to making it faster! Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

In my experience, the sensors largely depend on the mileage and where you live. North East areas and other salt belt regions prone to corrosion would likely replace the sensors sooner then other areas that don't see that kind of rust/corrosion.

What usually happens is when you pull the sensors out of the stock pads, it rips in half.

Most people who order our stoptech rotor and pad packages don't get the sensors. Sometimes, depending the brake pad chosen they come with sensors (which may or may not fit) because there are multiple fitments for BMW brake pads. (it's weird).

When in doubt they are about $50 or less depending on where you order the sensors. Yo can always just order them as needed and just deal with the light for a few days - not the end of the world and it's an easy install.
Appreciate 0