E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Forbes: Best Bargain Used Vehicles to Buy

05-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #23
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suspension first!

Then M Sport rear bumper.

Then maybe M Sport steering wheel if I can find an affordable airbag. I really don't care that much about the steering wheel, though.
M performance suspension is really cheap right now for pre-LCi cars. I bought my full M Perf kit + springs for about $1050 last summer. Installed I spent a total of about $1400. If you have access to a garage, you can do the install yourself. The struts and shocks on this car are very easy to install assuming you have a spring compressor.

I also have an M Performance steering wheel that works with your airbag for sale soon. The Alcantara is in really good condition (the car only has 24k miles and the wheel was cleaned meticulously). Let me know if you might be interested. It'll match the rest of your interior really well. I also live across town from you so you could come check it out if you'd like.
I can't find that suspension that low priced!

I was thinking ST X coilovers. Essentially rebranded KW V1 coilovers, made by KW, with galvanized steel instead of stainless.
Check out scorebmwparts.com which is sterling BMW's ecommerce site. Chris there should be able to hook you up.
I'm finding $1,263 for part # 33502320980.

Does that sound right?
Let me look it up. I still have the box.

EDIT: So I looked it up. I got part 33502320981. That's M Performance for the 335i. For some reason the 335i one is only ~$600 and the 4 cylinder model package is double that price.

Sorry to get your hopes up. Not sure why the 335i kit is half price.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 05-28-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #24
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Does that sound right?
Also, where did you get your bumper and where did you get the work done?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on that soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #25
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Yep, the cold hard truth. This is what makes it so obvious that BMW financial's residual values are so hyper inflated on leases. Estimated value of my car after 3 years is 68% of its MSRP, meaning its only supposed to lose 32% of its value, right? Haha, meanwhile, I'm not even 2 years into the lease and its already worth close to 50% less. 2, not even 3 years in. I've given this a lot of thought lately, and I love this car, but unless they are willing to knock about $8000 off the RV and sell me this car for around $24k at the end of the lease, I'm going to walk and buy a CPO 340 and be done with it all.

And this is why I always say if you're going new, Lease, and if you are buying, buy slightly used. Cuz if I had bought my car new, I would eat close to $25k in first 3 years with depreciation alone, to say nothing of watching whatever down payment vanish into thin air. But with the lease and this RV, total cost for 3 years is $12600

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 3
sr5959137.50
Red Bread4463.00
Germanauto9698.00
      05-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #26
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suspension first!

Then maybe M Sport steering wheel if I can find an affordable airbag. I really don't care that much about the steering wheel, though.
M performance suspension is really cheap right now for pre-LCi cars. I bought my full M Perf kit + springs for about $1050 last summer. Installed I spent a total of about $1400. If you have access to a garage, you can do the install yourself. The struts and shocks on this car are very easy to install assuming you have a spring compressor.

I also have an M Performance steering wheel that works with your airbag for sale soon. The Alcantara is in really good condition (the car only has 24k miles and the wheel was cleaned meticulously). Let me know if you might be interested. It'll match the rest of your interior really well. I also live across town from you so you could come check it out if you'd like.

I was thinking ST X coilovers. Essentially rebranded KW V1 coilovers, made by KW, with galvanized steel instead of stainless.
Check out scorebmwparts.com which is sterling BMW's ecommerce site. Chris there should be able to hook you up.

Does that sound right?

EDIT: So I looked it up. I got part 33502320981. That's M Performance for the 335i. For some reason the 335i one is only ~$600 and the 4 cylinder model package is double that price.

I found that too. Odd! I'm sure I'll be happy with my coilovers.

I got my bumper painted at European Motor Car Works.

The only two body shops I'd ever trust are European Motor Car Works in Costa Mesa (they normally don't do BMWs but they make exceptions for some colors) and DC Autocraft in Burbank.
      05-29-2018, 12:02 AM   #27
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suspension first!

Does that sound right?

The only two body shops I'd ever trust are European Motor Car Works in Costa Mesa (they normally don't do BMWs but they make exceptions for some colors) and DC Autocraft in Burbank.
Coilovers would be the better option for the full price. M Perf are good, but I gather a good set of street coilovers would be better hands down. When I saw the half price listing for the 335i kit, I couldn't resist.

It's so tough finding a good body shop in the Irvine area. They all try to rip you off and most won't give you the time of day if you're not going through insurance.

You wouldn't happen to know if that Costa Mesa ship would do silver cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #28
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suspension first!

Does that sound right?

Coilovers would be the better option for the full price. M Perf are good, but I gather a good set of street coilovers would be better hands down. When I saw the half price listing for the 335i kit, I couldn't resist.

It's so tough finding a good body shop in the Irvine area. They all try to rip you off and most won't give you the time of day if you're not going through insurance.

You wouldn't happen to know if that Costa Mesa ship would do silver cars?
Gonna take this to PM to not go too far off topic here...
      05-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #29
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Yep, the cold hard truth. This is what makes it so obvious that BMW financial's residual values are so hyper inflated on leases.
Even in the UK guaranteed future value means little in practice. It's only a low ball estimated trade-in value if you see the financial agreement until its end. The number is meaningless if you want to trade-in 6-18 months before the agreement ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow that sounds like a good deal(4-cylinder price for a 6 cylinder) in UK.

On this side of the pond, actually all the way to CA, there are killer deals for F30 right now.

E.g. 330i M sport package+ executive package(moonroof, comfort access, lumbar, M sport suspension/adaptive suspension, M steering wheel, M body kit, HUD, Nav,heated front seat, side+top cameras, full LED, PDC, auto high beam, 18-inch staggered) + leather MSRP $50k can go for less than $40k(before tax + feet).

That is one kickass config, especially when US-spec F30 has a lot more standard options that UK's.

US cars have much better quipped. You guys are lucky.

There are currently great deals on the F30s here too. Some dealers are offering 0% finance with barely any money down and low months payments. In other words, over 3-4 years, a new car will be cheaper.

I also find that 6 cylinder variants have the steepest discounts. The price difference between a 320i and 340i is less than half of what is in the configurator.
      05-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #30
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

bmws dont hold value bc maintenance is ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #31
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

As I've said before. Buying new is one of the dumbest things you can do. 2018 3 series looks and drives almost the same as a 2013 3 series that costs 50% less. Buy a clean one and take care of it and you won't have any major catastrophes.

Bmws Mercedes Audi's all follow the same depreciation curve. Majority are leases that are turned in at the 3 year mark when the LCI model arrives. Dealers get overstocked and value drops.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #32
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
bmws dont hold value bc maintenance is ridiculous
BMWs don't hold their value just as well as any other car relatively. The more expensive it is, the bigger that 50% hit will be. But cars like the M2 held their value well if they're hard to find and sought after, no matter the cost of maintenance.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #33
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Even in the UK guaranteed future value means little in practice. It's only a low ball estimated trade-in value if you see the financial agreement until its end. The number is meaningless if you want to trade-in 6-18 months before the agreement ends.

US cars have much better quipped. You guys are lucky.

There are currently great deals on the F30s here too. Some dealers are offering 0% finance with barely any money down and low months payments. In other words, over 3-4 years, a new car will be cheaper.

I also find that 6 cylinder variants have the steepest discounts. The price difference between a 320i and 340i is less than half of what is in the configurator.
In the US, the I6 holds value better than I4 though. E.g. a similar equipped I4 versus I6 can differ by, say, USD6k. That gap is eroded slower than the rest of the resale value as years go by.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #34
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

This is why I buy new OTD well below invoice or walk away. Can get 50% car value after 5 years of ownership. Car runs perfect and still smells new - will keep her another 10yrs. Buying new is for peace of mind. Car never had curb rash or hit a pothole. On the other hand, had new car different brand that never tracked straight so got rid of that within 2 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
BMW inflated residual makes them the best leasing cars in the market, and their real world depreciation makes them good CPO deals. I've already learned my lesson.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
This is why I buy new OTD well below invoice or walk away. Can get 50% car value after 5 years of ownership. Car runs perfect and still smells new - will keep her another 10yrs. Buying new is for peace of mind. Car never had curb rash or hit a pothole. On the other hand, had new car different brand that never tracked straight so got rid of that within 2 yrs.
Peace of mind is worth a lot. Keeping it that long you will definitely come out ahead unless she becomes a money pit. Most people just do not keep cars that long though. Most of the time, people buy with that intention and then after 5 years, they trade up, get something else, lifestyle and needs change or whatever and after that big down payment, all the depreciation, sales tax, finance charges and finally, getting hosed with a lowball dealer trade in offer, they don't come out ahead at all. BUT, most people have no idea what happened to them so whatever

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #37
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
BMWs don't hold their value just as well as any other car relatively. The more expensive it is, the bigger that 50% hit will be. But cars like the M2 held their value well if they're hard to find and sought after, no matter the cost of maintenance.
I dont agree with you. Tons of data out there. Check out lexus.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #38
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post
Yep, the cold hard truth. This is what makes it so obvious that BMW financial's residual values are so hyper inflated on leases. Estimated value of my car after 3 years is 68% of its MSRP, meaning its only supposed to lose 32% of its value, right? Haha, meanwhile, I'm not even 2 years into the lease and its already worth close to 50% less. 2, not even 3 years in. I've given this a lot of thought lately, and I love this car, but unless they are willing to knock about $8000 off the RV and sell me this car for around $24k at the end of the lease, I'm going to walk and buy a CPO 340 and be done with it all.

And this is why I always say if you're going new, Lease, and if you are buying, buy slightly used. Cuz if I had bought my car new, I would eat close to $25k in first 3 years with depreciation alone, to say nothing of watching whatever down payment vanish into thin air. But with the lease and this RV, total cost for 3 years is $12600
So,are you happy that you only paid $12600 for 3 years? Or are upset that the RV is so high. You can’t have it both ways. They clearly aren’t going to sell the car to you for trade in value. The dealer still wins in your scenario.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:45 PM   #39
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
I only lease new. No fun cars on that list FTL.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #40
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
BMWs do not lease well. Where are you seeing that?

How can they lease well if they depreciate so substantially.
They have better lease deals than their competition. But still, if you buy or lease a new car you are losing more money than buying used.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #41
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
They have better lease deals than their competition. But still, if you buy or lease a new car you are losing more money than buying used.
Second part is an unknown due to maintenance. You may get lucky or may not.

I deleted my comment anyways bc it seems like bmw keeps a higher residual than the market,
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #42
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

If you do your homework it's not an issue. Find a car that has a well documented Carfax and records and get a ppi done at bmw before buying.

And in most cases even if there is a repair needed like part of the suspension you are still coming out ahead buying used. It would take a catastrophic engine failure or transmission failure to make the new car a better buy
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #43
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
If you do your homework it's not an issue. Find a car that has a well documented Carfax and records and get a ppi done at bmw before buying.

And in most cases even if there is a repair needed like part of the suspension you are still coming out ahead buying used. It would take a catastrophic engine failure or transmission failure to make the new car a better buy
Man, I do not trust CarFax. I had a previous BMW that was rear ended three separate times (all while stopped at a light, on the brake.) Each repair was done through insurance, at a BMW dealership, one was $15k, the other two were slightly less than $8k. I also paid cash for a parking lot accident repair.

When I sold that car, I fully disclosed its history and said I'd provide a CarFax report. Lo and behold, no accident history of any sort. I had another car with an insurance covered accident that also came out with a clean CarFax. I'd trust a paint thickness gun and a professional inspection more than a CarFax report.
Appreciate 2
P111554.00
      05-30-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Back in 2005, I bought a new 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport w/ the Cummins engine. I bought it for $10K below sticker, at $34K. I drove it for nearly 10 years, and put over 100K miles on it. The day I put it up for sale, a gentleman from Indiana expressed interest in and promptly made the long trek to Texas to collect her. He paid nearly $23,000 for it.

Another sad fact: my mother in law has a 2015 Tahoe LT. My wife has a 2015 X5 with a sticker of just shy of $80K. Although the X5 is quite a bit more expensive than the (quite basic) Tahoe LT, any guesses on which one is worth more today? Sorry, no prizes!
Appreciate 0