E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW e92 320d - Intake manifold cleanliness

05-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
josip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d

Lightbulb BMW e92 320d - Intake manifold cleanliness

Hello everyone,

I've recently changed the timing chains on my e92 and partially cleaned intake manifold with power washer while the engine was out anyway. I'm wondering should I have dismantled the head too because all i've pressure washed is EGR cooler, intake manifold with metal pipe that comes from EGR, rocker cover gasket, DPF and exterior parts of engine which i could have reached. I've never opened the head where intake manifold drops into cuz I'm worried about gaskets although I have red silicone (temperature resistant one). Main part of service was chains but I also decided to clean as much as I can.

So the head, under intake manifold - how far down does it go till it reaches cylinder, also how big the opening to cylinder is? Intake manifold had so much goo inside, about 3-4mm thick layer inside whole plastic which I pressure washed. Does the air canal to cylinders take as much goo or it's generally a bit cleaner than intake manifold since it's made of metal instead of plastic. Car was running fine even before cleaning, but it bothers me a bit because maybe I should have dismantled the head since engine was 80% dismantled.

By the way, after 200.000 km engine looks brand new inside, apart from intake which was covered in goo along with metal pipe that goes from EGR to manifold. Chains were never changed, but I heard some rattle and didn't want to chance it. They weren't streched when I compared them to new ones.

Sorry for poor explanation, english is not my native language and I possibly can't express myself properly.

Last edited by josip; 05-08-2019 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0