E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sub & Headunit Upgrade BMW E92

11-07-2022, 04:13 PM   #1
stefzy
Rep
Drives: E92 320i

Sub & Headunit Upgrade BMW E92

Hi all,

I have a BMW E92 320i 59' plate UK (2009-10). I don't know how to define it, but I have the basic sound system (2 front, 2 back, 2 under-seat (no sub/tweeters)), so no separate AMP, with a BMW professional HU.

Here's my main question/problem. I want to install my aftermarket amp for my aftermarket sub, and preferably I want to install a new stereo which would make the process of adding the AMP easier - I imagine - by simply wiring in the sub output to the new HU, then add an in between aftermarket control module for the steering controls which replicates the system I had in my old car, easy right?

But, upon further thought, I am worried about parking sensors, and other potential features that the HU has that is crucial to the functionality of the car (no idea what these are so feel free to inform me). So in this regard, here are my questions:

a) what are the actual cons/issues of removing the HU, i.e. will I loose my beeping and other features?
b) If I need to keep the HU, being that I don't have an amp to wire in the aftermarket amp, how can I go about adding my aftermarket amp?

I'm sure this may have been covered over the years but a comprehensive answer/links to comp. answers will be really helpful as I'm very lost atm.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

there are many threads on upgrading the base system it is one of the most
covered topics here.
If you add a sub to the crappy base system you will have a crappy base
system with loud bass.

Changing the Head Unit to aftermarket can be done and there are harnesses
that can retain some of the functions like the connects 2 .
Changing the Head unit is generally a can of worms.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...highlight=base

put base in the search box many threads like the above come up

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...5&d=1493273253

Last edited by ctuna; 11-07-2022 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #3
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
How can I go about adding my aftermarket amp?
The aftermarket route is not a bad idea if you plan to really improve audio and overhaul whole system. But can be more expensive in this context.

Currently your setup:
HU -> speakers.

Just change existing wires.

You change it by removing seats and modify underseat speaker wires.
In your case you just create one more connection passing it to the rear from both sides.
So you have L+R inputs.

All that is left is to add an AMP + SUB.
Take into consideration that AMP needs to accept speaker level inputs.

We did this cheap install to one E60. It works, bass works and that's all he wanted. But he had Hi-Fi that has low level signals and better EQ.

Why not go over and beyond like i did:

It runs at about 120W and that is plenty. Anything beyond will start shaking interior apart.
Infinite baffle is very efficient and plays wider spectrum compared to box types.

With base speakers i suspect there won't be anything else left but bass like ctuna mentioned.
Lack of tweeters does not allow to bring soundstange higher and any song will be lacking clarity. HU will start clipping at higher volumes killing speakers since it is already overtaxed with underseat+door speaker parallel connection.

More preferred upgrade would be front 3-way AMP+DSP combo.
Then add another AMP & SUB to the DSP+AMP.
Finally some CD-Emulating hardware to send cleaner signal from USB/Phone/AUX signal to HU and you get pretty darn good system that exceeds most OEM setups.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 11-08-2022 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0