E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 Automatic trans, Sport/manual setting issue

09-05-2023, 09:13 PM   #1
retroarg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328i (automatic)

N52 Automatic trans, Sport/manual setting issue

I've never used bimmer post, but incase it doesn't say what my car is, its a 2008 328i with the n52b30 engine (don't know the trans code) with 87k miles

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this issue I'm having where when i shift drive to the left into sport mode, it doesn't actually turn the mode on, the shifter goes into place but the light on the boot doesn't turn on, nor does it show on the dash.

If i shift down and up the gears it then goes into sport mode, but then it wont go back into drive when i shift it back to the right. It only goes into drive if i go up to neutral, reverse, or park and then back into drive.

This started a while ago out of nowhere and its such a strange issue that I'm hoping someone on here has had it happen to them and fixed it. Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Usually shifter issues indicate to wiring under the shifter boot. Remove the shifter and the boot and inspect the wires. Also, if you have a diagnostic app/program pull the codes. I suggest BimmerGeeks Protool app, don't go with carly or BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

On my 2006 e90 a common problem I sadly discovered is for me the shifter wouldn't even go left into sports mode... But there are several writeups as this is a very common problem. The wires are secured improperly/too tightly and will eventually break from shifter being bumped (yea the way it was designed) If you take it to the dealership they will want to replace the entire gear shifting bits for a thousand plus.

But this is one of the easiest fixes you can ever do as a DIYer. Get the leather boot lifted up and out of the way. To remove shifter have car turned off squeeze the shift gear but pull shifter straight up but first release the leather skirt is clipped in and can be removed by pulling up from edges. Look at the grouping of wires their is a super thin almost single strand phone wire like uncooked angel hair spaghetti thin wire. just reattach with electrical tape or more permanent wire crimping etc...

This should be the source and solution. It's like a five ten minute repair. Best of luck and for future readers please pay it forward and let us know how it worked if this solved or was a different problem.

Last edited by crashoverride; 09-06-2023 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 12:09 PM   #4
retroarg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328i (automatic)

None of the wires look damaged to me, also could not find any loose wires
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #5
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Your next step is to see if there are any fault codes. I highly suggest getting Protool. It's a lifetime license, you can use it on any supported cars (not VIN locked) and you can do coding and diagnostics using it.

Read any fault codes that might be stored and that should help narrow it down.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Hmmmm... Perhaps we are mis-diagnosing. But here is a write up on the repair we've been thinking for the lower wire group that might have a broken wire

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ght=sport+mode
Appreciate 0