E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > All DISA N52s - Future Serious Issue

03-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #243
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Did anyone actually used the vanos-bmw.com repair kit? This one?

if yes, any feedback? Looks like the cost for 2 is 73.9 x 2 = 147.8 $ vs 500+ for 2 new units.
Also, it seems that the majority of issues stem from the big disa unit? Haven't seen issues with the small unit. Can anyone confirm?

Big disa repair kit:

Small disa repair kit:

P.S.: after how many miles did your your disa bit the dust? My X3 e83 3si has around 97 k miles.

thanks
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)

Last edited by doru; 03-21-2017 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #244
Pohsib
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i w Sport Package 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
...and don't forget the green throttle body gasket.
Thank you for this reminder. I was gearing up to remove the intake manifold and probably rebuild my DISAs. I bought the intake gaskets and crankcase breather pipe, vent, and other tubing just in case I break something. This is the first I’m hearing about this gasket. I ordered the gasket through FCP and opted for three day delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #245
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohsib View Post
Thank you for this reminder. I was gearing up to remove the intake manifold and probably rebuild my DISAs. I bought the intake gaskets and crankcase breather pipe, vent, and other tubing just in case I break something. This is the first I’m hearing about this gasket. I ordered the gasket through FCP and opted for three day delivery.
I have a set of large and small disa repairing kit that I am selling
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #246
Grizzopit
Russia
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 330i ESS SC 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Did anyone actually used the vanos-bmw.com repair kit? This one?

if yes, any feedback? Looks like the cost for 2 is 73.9 x 2 = 147.8 $ vs 500+ for 2 new units.
Also, it seems that the majority of issues stem from the big disa unit? Haven't seen issues with the small unit. Can anyone confirm?

Big disa repair kit:

Small disa repair kit:

P.S.: after how many miles did your your disa bit the dust? My X3 e83 3si has around 97 k miles.

thanks
Yes our russian kit

https://www.drive2.ru/l/533323338806722621/
100% close question
      04-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #247
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohsib View Post
Hi everyone, I'm about to tackle the install in the next couple of weeks an wanted to make sure I have all the right replacements parts. So far I got:

- Small and Big DISA
- CCV hose
- Intake Manifold gaskets

What are other tubing or parts should I buy from FCP euro that can possibly break during the uninstall/install process.

Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #248
hOlykamOtie*
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Probably throttle body gasket for peace of mind? I just did this procedure last weekend, replaced both of them. Didn't take out the intake manifold, I just scooped the small disa when I removed the alternator since I was replacing that part too.
      04-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #249
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut_boi View Post
Hi everyone, I'm about to tackle the install in the next couple of weeks an wanted to make sure I have all the right replacements parts. So far I got:

- Small and Big DISA
- CCV hose

What are other tubing or parts should I buy from FCP euro that can possibly break during the uninstall/install process.

Thank you in advance
- Werd on ThrottleBody gasket.
- Is it time to replace the starter? Would be the perfect time.
- Lots of shop towels to plug holes and sop up oil. Did you already degrease the new one already?
- Some people buy new screws for the DISAs...I like to do that because the old ones sometimes felt soft and the heads worn. Just makes it easier when you service them again and the screwhead isnt worn. But, as far as a necessity, if you have all the old ones, you can reuse.
- Hopefully you have the right set of Etorx already. I use a battery-powered ratchet as it makes quick work of those awkward bolts.
- Did you do the silencer replace (with silicone elbow) yet? Little better sound, plus better airflow into the throttlebody.

Rest should be plug and play assuming you have the right CCV for your setup. Some manifolds only had one bottom CCV port on the intake manifold so you have to plug and tape up the second return.
Appreciate 1
donut_boi997.50
      04-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #250
donut_boi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 X5M DGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
- Werd on ThrottleBody gasket.
- Is it time to replace the starter? Would be the perfect time.
- Lots of shop towels to plug holes and sop up oil. Did you already degrease the new one already?
- Some people buy new screws for the DISAs...I like to do that because the old ones sometimes felt soft and the heads worn. Just makes it easier when you service them again and the screwhead isnt worn. But, as far as a necessity, if you have all the old ones, you can reuse.
- Hopefully you have the right set of Etorx already. I use a battery-powered ratchet as it makes quick work of those awkward bolts.
- Did you do the silencer replace (with silicone elbow) yet? Little better sound, plus better airflow into the throttlebody.

Rest should be plug and play assuming you have the right CCV for your setup. Some manifolds only had one bottom CCV port on the intake manifold so you have to plug and tape up the second return.
Thank you so much for the reply, starter is still good and the new 3IM has been degreased already. Looks like ill be adding new DISA screws to the list and possibly a silicone elbow.

Thanks again for the reply just want to make sure that there are parts around that are prone to breaking easily while I do the uninstall/install.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #251
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

I pulled my outer valve to check today and I have a few questions. I'm pretty sure I need a new one anyway, but I'm curious about a couple things.

1) The flap rotates freely, won't stay in position at all. But it still works correctly with the ISTA test. Opens to directly perpendicular, closes again when commanded. But I can freely rotate it by hand, it's not attached to the shaft. Is that common?

2) Was there a metal pin on here? The inner shaft is loose inside the opening, not sure if there was originally a metal pin here or some kind of softer bushing holding it in place. Build date is 12/06. It came out easy enough and I didn't see anything inside the manifold. I guess it could have popped out and rolled away when I was removing the DISA but seems unlikely, and looking at the design of the manifold it doesn't seem like anything could come out while the DISA is in place. There was quite a bit of gray-ish grease around the end of the shaft so it seems like if there was a pin it's been missing for quite a while. Seems more likely that there may have been some kind of seal that dissolved in the engine oil?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #252
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut_boi View Post

- Small and Big DISA
- CCV hose

Thank you in advance
Check your oil filter housing for leaks, might as well replace gasket while removing the intake. Also if you have an N51 engine DISA is covered for 15 yrs and 150k miles,
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #253
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

If one has a 330i already with the N52B30, and is looking to replace both the large and small intake adjuster units with OEM components... Does one need to program them to 'match' the ECU? I saw in the beginning thread that it was stated it wasn't required, but I found several references that one does need to code it to optimally match the ECU; and some references to just flush the adaptation with INPA.

Adjuster Unit Product ID: 11-61-7-579-114
Adjuster Unit Product ID: 11-61-7-560-538
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 10:49 AM   #254
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzandrl View Post
If one has a 330i already with the N52B30, and is looking to replace both the large and small intake adjuster units with OEM components... Does one need to program them to 'match' the ECU? I saw in the beginning thread that it was stated it wasn't required, but I found several references that one does need to code it to optimally match the ECU; and some references to just flush the adaptation with INPA.

Adjuster Unit Product ID: 11-61-7-579-114
Adjuster Unit Product ID: 11-61-7-560-538

Can you share the details on programming the disa flaps? From my understanding, you don't have to program these. Every guide I've seen doesn't mention programming.

I recently bought a new pair of Genuine BMW Disa flaps. $660 bucks. Kind of a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 02:05 PM   #255
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

There's no need to program anything if your car already has DISAs. If you're upgrading a non-DISA manifold (e.g. a non-SULEV 328i) to a DISA manifold then you do need to update the ECU to use them, but a 330i which already has them doesn't need any coding. The DISA themselves are not coded, you just need an ECU which is programmed to use them.
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      01-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #256
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep

Replacement was pretty much drop in and reset adaptations. The big flap was flapping around a little and was ready to pop off. The small one was in great shape. This was a super easy repair without having to pull the manifold off. Also, if someone wants them for a DIY rebuild, PM me.
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      01-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #257
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzandrl View Post
Replacement was pretty much drop in and reset adaptations. The big flap was flapping around a little and was ready to pop off. The small one was in great shape. This was a super easy repair without having to pull the manifold off. Also, if someone wants them for a DIY rebuild, PM me.
What adaptations did you reset and why did you reset them?

Did you do the small one through the alternator?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 04:13 PM   #258
Yzandrl
newbie.
Rep

For adaptations, I just did all of them (not transmission) because I changed the vanos solenoids and disa flaps at same time. As for the small disa, it was removable with alternator taken out, and pretty easy, but it took a while to figure out how to rotate/tip/move out of there without any force. Keep a good memory of how you did that and reverse it to get back in. Also, I'd put a little lubricant/glycerine or whatever on the seal to make it easier to fit into the intake manifold and not rely on the bolts to pull it in place. Also, be careful of those plastic CCV fittings, they are plastic and brittle. I probably should have just pulled it all off and replaced them all at once but it seems to work fine still.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 06:33 PM   #259
blackknight
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i 2005

anyone knows what type of motor are in these disa valves
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 04:50 AM   #260
h3ll
Rep
Drives: e91 07 6mt xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
anyone knows what type of motor are in these disa valves
Ive got a broken one laying around somewhere..
I guess once I find it i'ld have to rip it apart to see the motor.
Why do you want to know?
Appreciate 0