E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ONR + dirty black car (56K warning)

02-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #45
BMW DIET
Captain
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007/330coupe/silv/BBSch

nice work thanks for the info
      03-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
e92drivver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Great info. I may need to check ONR and a sponge out.

I've read a lot of threads from detailers on this forum and many recommend wool mitts or other products that draw the dirt away from the paint & into the longer fibers. That sponge looks scary. I only imagine grit getting ground into the paint under the sponge. Do the detailers I've been reading on this forum (picus,david,sheer, etc) use sponges? I dont think my car is sponge worthy, I may need to stick with wool.

At one point BK brought up negative parts of ONR mentioned on autopia. What are some of the more serious negatives about the product? What should I be looking out for or trying to avoid?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:17 AM   #47
JOYRIIDE1113
Pirate
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailing Shark

A grout sponge is a different animal in the sense it acts totally different when being used as a wash media. I have used grout sponges, wool mitts, sea sponge, MF, ect and with the right mind and sense, neither has contributed any more marring than the other, if any.

I would not be soo concerned as to what another detailer uses, but as to what works best for you. You can never copy the exact formula.

I personally was scared to use it until I put my fear aside.I liek it because it rinses clean and uses less wash solution. I don't like the fact it doesn't get crack really well without using pressure and the lack of "give" when sliding it across the paint, like a wool mitt does.
sure Vintage is rad, but if they screw up the prep it won't matter if they coat it in pure white carnauba picked from trees that bloom every ten years during a full moon; it will still look like ass. ---PICUS
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #48
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92drivver View Post
I've read a lot of threads from detailers on this forum and many recommend wool mitts or other products that draw the dirt away from the paint & into the longer fibers. That sponge looks scary. I only imagine grit getting ground into the paint under the sponge. Do the detailers I've been reading on this forum (picus,david,sheer, etc) use sponges? I dont think my car is sponge worthy, I may need to stick with wool.

At one point BK brought up negative parts of ONR mentioned on autopia. What are some of the more serious negatives about the product? What should I be looking out for or trying to avoid?
Regarding the grout sponge, JOYRIIDE1113 addressed it. Basically, the GS I used (from Lowes, less than $2 per) is all the rage right now on Autopia. It is very soft when it is wet, so I wasn't too worried about messing up the clear coat.

Also, you can't tell from the photos, but my finish is good, but not perfect, so I intend to polish in the spring, anyway. As a result, I was probably braver than I would have otherwise been. Nevertheless, I haven't seen any new marring from the ONR and GS combo. The little marring I have is all old -- from a few "scratch the hell out of my car" auto washes over the past year or so , and some claying where I was a little too aggressive a few months ago.

The reason I used a GS with ONR is because it rinses out so well. ONR tends to bind the dirt into the wash media more than soap does. A MF or wool mitt is harder to rinse free of dirt with ONR than when using regular soap (not impossible, just harder). The GS rinses out really easily.

Interestingly, I thought the use of GS was something new. But if you search old Autopia threads, some detailers have been using them for years. I even read one older thread where someone recommended a GS inside a wool mitt as his wash media, because the GS holds so much water and soap in it. I'm not that hardcore or knowledgeable; I'm just a newbie who was trying it because others had spoken so highly of it. It worked fine and I'm going to continue using it for ONR. I have wool and MF "dreadlock" mitts I like when I wash with soap.

As far as negatives on ONR, it mostly boils down to the fact that some people just don't like it. It's hard to get past the feeling you're washing with just water, and that puts some people off. Also, you can only clean what you touch, so you can't, for example, spray off the undercarriage. And it's harder to clean a muddy car, or clean the wheels and wheel wells, IMO, because you can't spray with a hose.

I just ONR-ed again today, and I have to say, a warm water mix with ONR sure is better than freezing my butt off trying to hand wash in the cold.
      03-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #49
soph1aa
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
+1 on ONR!
and good write up / detail pics~
      03-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #50
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Great write-up and beautiful car!

I've been using ONR this winter and I love it. I pre-soak each area I work on using a garden sprayer loaded with the ONR wash mixture. The stuff beads and helps lift the dirt away from the paint before you wipe. I've been using an MF towel, but I may try the sponge. What I really like is that I can wash my car in half the time of the hose method. I may stick with this method year around.

But any tips on getting dirt out of cracks? For example, it's hard to get the dirt that's on the door sill, below the hinge. That's where I miss having some water pressure.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #51
Houston11
Rep
Drives: 2008 jet blk. 335ci

can some1 tell me what ONR is?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #52
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston11 View Post
can some1 tell me what ONR is?
Their is a picture of the bottle on the first page of this thread!!

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #53
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
great write up. i'm buying a bottle right now!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #54
jeffvb9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW x4m comp

How does that not scratch?????? Im stumped.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #55
blakjack23
Major
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

Garage List
'06 325i  [0.00]
Great write up BK. I might just have to order a bottle myself. This seems like a good, quick way to do some weekly washes in the summer between 'normal' washes. Sometimes I just have a little layer of dust that really doesn't require a full wash but it still bothers me, so this seems like a good solution for those weeks.

'06 325i - AT (bite me!) - Jet Black - Black leatherette - Aluminum Trim - Blacklines - 189's - M3 Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #56
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvb9 View Post
How does that not scratch?????? Im stumped.
It doesn't scratch, it only left swirl marks. My friend was arguing with me on how swirl marks were already there on his car before using ONR. Few months later, after his car was polished, I asked him to do a demonstration and BAM there were light swirl marks! Shine a spot light directly on the paint and you will see what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #57
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
It doesn't scratch, it only left swirl marks. My friend was arguing with me on how swirl marks were already there on his car before using ONR. Few months later, after his car was polished, I asked him to do a demonstration and BAM there were light swirl marks! Shine a spot light directly on the paint and you will see what I'm talking about.
Not on my car (or any other serious detailers I know). I wouldn't use it if it swirled the clear!

ONR won't swirl your car, provided you use soft wash media (like the Lowe's grout sponge I used) and use it gently, rinse the wash media often, and so on.

I have a black car and polish a few times a year, using halogens and with careful examination of the paint. ONR does not swirl any more than "regular" washing and drying, which is to say very little or not at all when done correctly.

I don't sell ONR or have any interest in whether others buy it. I'm just saying it's easy to be skeptical of it -- I certainly was. However, I was willing to give it a try based on positive reviews from detailers I respect. My experience with it has been terrific. I've been using it over a year now (see the date of the first post in this thread), and have nothing but praise for it.
      03-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #58
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

I just bought a gallon. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #59
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Not on my car (or any other serious detailers I know). I wouldn't use it if it swirled the clear!

ONR won't swirl your car, provided you use soft wash media (like the Lowe's grout sponge I used) and use it gently, rinse the wash media often, and so on.

I have a black car and polish a few times a year, using halogens and with careful examination of the paint. ONR does not swirl any more than "regular" washing and drying, which is to say very little or not at all when done correctly.

I don't sell ONR or have any interest in whether others buy it. I'm just saying it's easy to be skeptical of it -- I certainly was. However, I was willing to give it a try based on positive reviews from detailers I respect. My experience with it has been terrific. I've been using it over a year now (see the date of the first post in this thread), and have nothing but praise for it.
My friend said the same exact thing all the time. But the result shows swirls. With me, it's very obvious. ONR is a great way to save the enviroment, cut short detailing time, great tool to use for winter car wash however, there are drawback - you will get a lot more swirl marks if it's done not properly. Many people said it won't leave anyswirls, I think that's a bit of blowing up. When you are rubbing (or lightly touch) a dirty car, there are two things will happen: 1. you will scratch it by rubbing the dirt against the paint or 2. you will not remove all the dirty on the paint. A clean fiber towel dragging a cross the paint to dry a clean car after wash does leave swirls. This is why ppl recommend you to put a towel on, let it sit then take it off and move to the next area rather than dragging it or rubbing it. What kind of magic ONR does when you rubbing a wash media across your dirty car??? This is as simple and obvious like a car running into a curve, the law of physics is set, no mater what type of car or what type of tire, at a specific speed with a specific weight, you're off the road.

I'm not against ONR, I'm in fact, a big fan of it. I just want to put a true word out for others to know. Consider pros and cons before you make the purchase and keep in mind, a proper wash is always the best. Also with polishing, taking swirl marks and scratches off is a simple process, anyone can do. Properly seal and protect the paint afterward is hard. If you have too much fun polishing the car a few time a year, soon, your clear coat is all gone and your paint is worse than one with no polishing done.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #60
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

looks sweeet
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #61
dr.jay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135

I gotta try some ONR I just bought 5 Pro Line sponges from Lowes, it looks like your car came out great
      03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #62
OEKlM
Lieutenant General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
is the car JB?
      03-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #63
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

According to BK's signature, the car is Black Sapphire.

I bought a bottle of ONR last week after reading a countless number of articles/threads praising it. Haven't used it yet, but I'll give it a try with those GS sponges from Lowes this weekend. May use a two bucket system instead, but it's tough to argue with BK's method and results. Looks fantastic.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #64
OEKlM
Lieutenant General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
According to BK's signature, the car is Black Sapphire.

I bought a bottle of ONR last week after reading a countless number of articles/threads praising it. Haven't used it yet, but I'll give it a try with those GS sponges from Lowes this weekend. May use a two bucket system instead, but it's tough to argue with BK's method and results. Looks fantastic.
doh... sorry haha anyone with experience with ONR on JetBlack?
      03-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #65
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
I'm not against ONR, I'm in fact, a big fan of it. I just want to put a true word out for others to know. Consider pros and cons before you make the purchase and keep in mind, a proper wash is always the best. Also with polishing, taking swirl marks and scratches off is a simple process, anyone can do. Properly seal and protect the paint afterward is hard. If you have too much fun polishing the car a few time a year, soon, your clear coat is all gone and your paint is worse than one with no polishing done.
Agreed in general with most of what you say, but I think you're overstating the "cons," maybe in an attempt to balance what you think is me overstating the "pros"? I don't mean to overstate the positive aspects, and I agree a traditional wash is best. However, I posted this thread to suggest that while it took a leap of faith for me, this product surprised me and I've become a believer. Whatever ONR does, it hasn't swirled my paint any more than a traditional wash. Maybe for very soft paint, it's different.

I should add that for cars with heavier dirt, several of us who use ONR will take care of the heavy dirt first -- for example, drive through a "no touch" spray wash, then ONR. Or pre-treat panels with a spray bottle of ONR solution (just dunk the bottle in your bucket) prior to cleaning that panel.

I don't get the reference to polishing being easy but sealing being difficult. Frankly, I think it's the other way around -- paint prep being where the work should be focused and where expertise makes a difference. Also, as far as polish thinning the CC, unless you're compounding, it's a negligible amount. You can use a light polish twice a year for a dozen years without concern.
      03-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #66
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

+1 on ORN I used this stuff yesterday and it's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0