E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Failed NYS Emissions, AA N52 Header Tune: BEWARE

08-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #23
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
I am curious - why not have AA give you their off-road tune which eliminates those sensor codes and 'not ready'? Worked for me here in GA.
I have the off road tune which eliminates the codes and gets rid of the SES. The problem is I put over 700 miles on doing the drive cycle very specifically, and still had two "incomplete" monitors. The catalyst monitor was incomplete which is fine because you can have 1 incomplete monitor and that is the monitor that should be incomplete with the tune loaded. The O2 monitor would not complete though.

I removed the tune and did a few hundred miles of the drive cycle, and got all monitors to complete except the O2 monitor. I have zero O2 related codes. All I had were cat codes P0420 and P0430 and the SES because of them.

Either the tune is not working correctly for me, or I have an underlying issue that is not apparent.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #24
jpregione
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

any update on this? I have an 09 328i n51 engine with AA headers and tune and also have two monitors incomplete, the oxygen sensor and catalyst monitor and need to get emissions done this month..... an update on what AA has come up with would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #25
jpregione
Private
Rep

Try to get inpa to look for codes, I just read mine and had an emission related error (secondary air pump) that wasn't cleared. I had a CEL a couple weeks ago and cleared it with and regular handheld reader which removed the SES light but apparently not the code.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #26
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpregione View Post
any update on this? I have an 09 328i n51 engine with AA headers and tune and also have two monitors incomplete, the oxygen sensor and catalyst monitor and need to get emissions done this month..... an update on what AA has come up with would be great.
Well that is the exact same situation that I started with, and at the moment its not looking good for either of us. I have done the drive cycle many times, with and without the tune, putting close to 1000 miles on if not more over the past couple weeks and can not get all monitors "ok".

I attempted installing O2 spacers (spark plug non-foulers) tonight but there is not much room to work with while the headers are installed. My O2 socket was too large so I need to borrow my buddies smaller one another day. Butttt If I have to remove the headers to put the spacers on I'm going to put the stock manifolds back on because I am sick of this situation. I have been going back and forth with AA, and they have given me a few different variations of the tune to try but none of them have given me any results. At this point I've gotten the vibe that they aren't sure whats going on and there's nothing left they can do for me since its an "off-road" tune.....

Quote:
Try to get inpa to look for codes, I just read mine and had an emission related error (secondary air pump) that wasn't cleared. I had a CEL a couple weeks ago and cleared it with and regular handheld reader which removed the SES light but apparently not the code.
I think I have a friend with INPA so I will definitely check that out this weekend hopefully. I also am pretty sure I don't have the secondary air pump since my car is a 2006. Correct me if I am wrong, but the simon3 programmer pulls codes from the DME, would INPA return different results?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #27
jpregione
Private
Rep

I guess my point was if you had emission codes at one time and only cleared them with a standard obdII device they might still be in the background preventing your monitor to complete. As you said before there are a lot of people with the AA headers / tune that pass emissions so it has to be something relatively simple
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #28
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess my point was if you had emission codes at one time and only cleared them with a standard obdII device they might still be in the background preventing your monitor to complete. As you said before there are a lot of people with the AA headers / tune that pass emissions so it has to be something relatively simple
Using INPA is on my list to do now for sure, because I still think it should be something relatively simple like you said. I also had my neighbor use his professional scan tool (MAC or Snap-On I cant remember which) and did not come up with anything out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #29
jpregione
Private
Rep

Yeah I don't really know why a handheld scanner (bosch in this case) would clear codes, clear ses and then report no codes detected when I can then turn around with inpa and see a dme code.

Maybe someone with an understanding of it can chime in
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #30
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Hey,since thiis looks like to be a recent install of parts,has this been goin on since then? The first thing I would do is back track all sensor wires and make sure they are correct,this is common when swapping headers,not marking. Then I would check your o2 sensors,I thought even tho the light is off,there still active,but with the tune,the catalyst will never be ready,ck the sensors. This would eliminate the sensors and wiring,now you can rule them out and go upward. Picking and pointing are useless without conformation. I hope this helps,if you returned your tune to stock,ck your wiring and sensors
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #31
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
Hey,since thiis looks like to be a recent install of parts,has this been goin on since then? The first thing I would do is back track all sensor wires and make sure they are correct,this is common when swapping headers,not marking. Then I would check your o2 sensors,I thought even tho the light is off,there still active,but with the tune,the catalyst will never be ready,ck the sensors. This would eliminate the sensors and wiring,now you can rule them out and go upward. Picking and pointing are useless without conformation. I hope this helps,if you returned your tune to stock,ck your wiring and sensors
I have had everything installed for about 4-5 months, but I am not sure if it has been an actual issue since then because I only discovered this when I went to get my inspection done. When I swapped the headers I put the sensors on one at a time I believe when I had them side by side. I did in fact check all my wires recently to make sure everything was plugged in correctly and it seemed to be fine. I know the catalyst monitor will stay incomplete already as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #32
jpregione
Private
Rep

does anybody know how to monitor emissions readiness while driving? can it be done using INPA?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #33
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yes, you can check them in INPA.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #34
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

This is what scares me with tunes and chasing codes not there prior. It sounds like it may be something you overlooked,have you asked to send your ecu to aa? Hopefully you'll have this figured out in time
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #35
jpregione
Private
Rep

did you ever get inpa to check for other codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #36
jpregione
Private
Rep

If there are 4 readiness monitors (Cat, EVAP, O2, and O2 heater.), does anybody know what is checked for each? Specifically I am fighting a secondary air pump problem and am curious which one of these is affected, currently I cant get catalyst or O2 to set and am curious if this would be the cause of one of them

actually a better way to ask this is if one has AA headers along with O2 delete tune which monitors will never set?

Last edited by jpregione; 08-11-2016 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: updated question
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #37
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
This is what scares me with tunes and chasing codes not there prior. It sounds like it may be something you overlooked,have you asked to send your ecu to aa? Hopefully you'll have this figured out in time
The problem is I have no codes present other than the cat codes. I have not asked to send my ECU to AA because they basically have told me I am on my own at this point because it is an "off-road" tune and they do not guarantee you will pass emissions.

Quote:
did you ever get inpa to check for other codes?
I have used a basic OBD2 scanner, the simon3 which pulls codes from the DME and also had my neighbor use his professional scanner (MAC or Snap-On), none of which pulled any O2 or emissions related codes. They have provided me with multiple tunes to try all with different ways of modifying the O2 or cat codes, but nothing has worked. I have been in contact with another forum member that had a similar issue which he could also not figure out, and it seems that AA may be aware of it but are not doing anything about it since it only affects maybe 10% of people.

Ive been driving around uninspected for a month now trying to figure this out. I have checked and re-checked everything, so I'm ready to throw in the towel and put the OEM manifold on at this point because I am ready to buy a new car and had someone that wanted to buy mine but this situation came about. If you think INPA will pull different codes other than the 3 different scan-tools I have used then I will try and get access to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #38
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaone23 View Post
The problem is I have no codes present other than the cat codes. I have not asked to send my ECU to AA because they basically have told me I am on my own at this point because it is an "off-road" tune and they do not guarantee you will pass emissions.

I have used a basic OBD2 scanner, the simon3 which pulls codes from the DME and also had my neighbor use his professional scanner (MAC or Snap-On), none of which pulled any O2 or emissions related codes. They have provided me with multiple tunes to try all with different ways of modifying the O2 or cat codes, but nothing has worked. I have been in contact with another forum member that had a similar issue which he could also not figure out, and it seems that AA may be aware of it but are not doing anything about it since it only affects maybe 10% of people.

Ive been driving around uninspected for a month now trying to figure this out. I have checked and re-checked everything, so I'm ready to throw in the towel and put the OEM manifold on at this point because I am ready to buy a new car and had someone that wanted to buy mine but this situation came about. If you think INPA will pull different codes other than the 3 different scan-tools I have used then I will try and get access to it.
I hope you do figure it out (honestly), but if you decide to sell your headers....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #39
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I hope you do figure it out (honestly), but if you decide to sell your headers....
Well as soon as I get my hands on a set of OEM exhaust manifolds I would gladly sell my headers......soooo if you know anyone willing to part with them let me know! I do not think there is anything left to figure out unfortunately, it seems that my car just does not like the tune. If there is anything to figure out it is beyond my knowledge and capability and I have also run out of patience. I found an e90 and e92 M-Sport 335i xdrive with low miles in my price range so im trying to get this sorted out asap.

Last edited by mpaone23; 08-11-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #40
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Well as soon as I get my hands on a set of OEM exhaust manifolds I would gladly sell my headers......soooo if you know anyone willing to part with them let me know! I do not think there is anything left to figure out unfortunately, it seems that my car just does not like the tune. If there is anything to figure out it is beyond my knowledge and capability and I have also run out of patience. I have an e90 and e92 M-Sport 335i xdrive with low miles in my price range so im trying to get this sorted out asap.
I happen to have a set sitting around. (off my 2008 328i) like 70K on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #41
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Well as soon as I get my hands on a set of OEM exhaust manifolds I would gladly sell my headers......soooo if you know anyone willing to part with them let me know! I do not think there is anything left to figure out unfortunately, it seems that my car just does not like the tune. If there is anything to figure out it is beyond my knowledge and capability and I have also run out of patience. I found an e90 and e92 M-Sport 335i xdrive with low miles in my price range so im trying to get this sorted out asap.
I have OEM headers from my 128i. Dunno if it's cross compatible to the 3 Series.

Anyways, I currently have a ton of incompletes within my system. I'm thinking it's because I recently cleared codes and don't drive the car around on the street (just unload of trailer/drive short/turn off car...repeat).

Going to take a 20 minute or so drive tonight to see if my system can ready up.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #42
jpregione
Private
Rep

mpaone23, any new findings / update on your situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #43
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Just to show you my current situation. Not too impressed with AA right now after they said it would pass parameter checks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #44
mpaone23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
mpaone23, any new findings / update on your situation?
No new findings. I did just borrow cable from a buddy so I can use bimmerlogger to scan for shadow codes that TheAxiom recommended, and I also will be checking in INPA to see if anything comes up. I am going to look into it more tomorrow and will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Just to show you my current situation. Not too impressed with AA right now after they said it would pass parameter checks.
I don't think you will have a problem getting the EVAP monitor or the Secondary Air monitor to complete.......But as far as the O2 monitor and Catalyst monitor goes if your luck is like mine then it's not hopeful. I'm pretty disappointed myself.

If nothing comes up with bimmerlogger or INPA, I will be putting the stock manifold back on and loading the tune for just the 3-stage manifold. I have run out of patience, lost a sale on my car, and have lost multiple cars I wanted to buy.
Appreciate 0