E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Relocating the OEM radio to the trunk to retain CHIMES w/ an aftermarket headunit

01-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #155
Jloobee
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
Thought I would write a follow up to my install.

1. Ran an ethernet cable from the radio harness up front to the trunk.
The cable carries CAN-L, CAN-H, 12V and Ground. The 12V and Ground supply use two wires each from the ethernet cable to ensure there's enough current carrying capacity. The other nice thing about ethernet cable is that it's twisted pairs, just like the CAN wiring:

i. Green - CAN-L to Pin 9 on the Metra harness (Brown/yellow stripe)
ii. White Green for CAN-H to Pin 11 on the Metra harness (Orange/Brown stripe)
iii. Blue/White Blue for +12V to Pin 15 on the Metra harness (Yellow)
iv. Brown/ White Brown for Ground to Pin 12 on the Metra harness (Black)
v. Orange for Reverse Camera trigger [In the end this was not used. The camera video cable came with a red 12V trigger wire]
vi. White Orange – unused

Note: my Metra harness came with no wire in Pin 11. I moved the one from Pin 13.

2. I put the radio in to a cut up plastic battery tray and used galvanized strap to create a mounting tray. Thank God we have Princess Auto up here in Canada.

3. Mounting location... as others have said there's really no good location. But I found something that's out of the way yet still accessible: the underside of the rear deck, next to the folding seat release handle.

4. MOST cables:
I considered two possible options (thanks ctuna )
(1) Just run an extension cable from the radio connector at the front to the mounting location in the trunk. This requires a fairly long 5 meter MOST extension cable. You can get these off Aliexpress for $25-$30.
(2) Use a Y-cable with two female MOST connectors, a female diagnostic loop on the radio connector, and a smaller (2 meter) extension cable to connect your radio to the Y-cable and whatever you have in the trunk (Sat radio, TCU, MULF, etc.). This is the option I went with.
Great job, I like your approach, nice and clean and efficient! Can you tell me what part numbers you used to make all the connections. Thanks
Appreciate 0