E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP / 2011 328i Sedan

04-30-2018, 02:27 AM   #1
e90.santi
⁶God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328I E90

IMPORTANT PLEASE HELP / 2011 328i Sedan

Alright, my car was low on oil maybe even empty, and the car said add +1qt, I took it to a shop and gave them the right oil, this was a oil change BTW and the oil was full. 3-4 days later, I turn on my car and start hearing a faint knock, I drive off and not a minute later the car won't accelerate and just turns off immediately.The car won't accept the key anymore, it just gets stuck. I try to turn on the car and oil starts leaking from the oil filter.The car is currently in the shop, still won't turn on but now accepts the key. Does anyone know what it could be?
      04-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If I ignore the oil leaking from the filter housing for a minute, all you issues appear to point to something electronic. The car should always accept the key and turn various systems on even before you start the engine.

Back to the oil filter housing leaking: Whether you have a serious problem depends on how bad it is leaking. If it is gushing oil then you may have low / no oil pressure in the system and this would be very bad if you drove on no oil pressure. The car should have warned you about having no or low oil pressure. This is not the same as saying you have a low oil level and should add oil.

Wait to see what the shop says.
      04-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
e90.santi
⁶God
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328I E90

Thank you, i think i really might be that because i did have low oil light and i went on a around 125 mile drive, but i really dont know if it was low oil pressure as the car worked for around 2-3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthewrench View Post
If I ignore the oil leaking from the filter housing for a minute, all you issues appear to point to something electronic. The car should always accept the key and turn various systems on even before you start the engine.

Back to the oil filter housing leaking: Whether you have a serious problem depends on how bad it is leaking. If it is gushing oil then you may have low / no oil pressure in the system and this would be very bad if you drove on no oil pressure. The car should have warned you about having no or low oil pressure. This is not the same as saying you have a low oil level and should add oil.

Wait to see what the shop says.