E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Code 315A (P2421) Fuel tank valve: jammed open - may not be what you think?

09-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Code 315A (P2421) Fuel tank valve: jammed open - may not be what you think?

Awhile ago, SES light came on, check and code 315A (P2421) - came up when the fuel tank is low... Initially, fuel tank breather valve was replaced (under intake manifold), cleared code, thought it's fixed. It came back on again on the next 1/4 tank of gasoline, so I did more research and replaced DMTL pump and replaced fuel nozzle lid. Again, the light came back again when fuel is just right below 1/4 tank. Any ideas guys? I'm going to check the hose connection at the breather valve again this weekend.

Perhaps I gotta switch out the charcoal canister?? That's a $300 bucks 😭

Also, fuel nozzle keeps shutting off as I pump 😣😡😠 Annoying af... maybe the new breather valve was a DOE unit...?

Any advice is welcome. TIA, guys.
      09-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Fuel shutting off at the pump early is def a venting issue with the canister. So looks like you have to replace that part anyways.. maybe it will fix more issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll replace the canister and go from there..
      09-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I am also having very similar problems. About 3 months ago when my fuel tank was under 1/4 tank, a code came up which was for the fuel tank vent valve(under the intake manifold). I replaced it and it seemed to be all good, but then last week again when I was under 1/4 tank, the same code came up. I also have a bitch of a time filling my gas tank at the gas station. The dam clicker keeps going off when I try to fill my tank. I've tried pulling the nozzle out a bit, rotating it, trying different gas stations and no luck.
      09-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

I'm not sure if this is totally related because I can't remember the codes but I was having a very similar issue a while ago. Was getting a CEL saying the dmtl pump had no connection and was stuck open I believe. I replaced the pump and the CEL did not go away. Eventually I found this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950374

After pulling the rear, drivers side wheel off I found the wiring going to the pump was frayed and one of the wires had been broken. Soldered in a new wire and all was well. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwgrenier View Post
I'm not sure if this is totally related because I can't remember the codes but I was having a very similar issue a while ago. Was getting a CEL saying the dmtl pump had no connection and was stuck open I believe. I replaced the pump and the CEL did not go away. Eventually I found this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950374

After pulling the rear, drivers side wheel off I found the wiring going to the pump was frayed and one of the wires had been broken. Soldered in a new wire and all was well. Hope this helps.
I ordered the new canister Saturday night, but thanks for the insight. I will definitely check the wiring when I take parts off.

Much appreciated.
      09-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

How did the new canister make out? Did it fix your problem? Just asking bc I’m having similar problems, just not as bad as you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
How did the new canister make out? Did it fix your problem? Just asking bc I’m having similar problems, just not as bad as you.
I haven't received the canister yet. FCP shipped it out this past tuesday, usually 5 business day with UPS and I'm in L.A., Cali. Gotta way until next weekend...
      10-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Fuel shutting off at the pump early is def a venting issue with the canister. So looks like you have to replace that part anyways.. maybe it will fix more issues.
Quote:
I replaced the canister and filled up gasoline yesterday. The nozzle premature shut-off is fixed! I reset the code, so I'll have to wait until the tank gets to empty again. But I think replacing canister fixed the issue. Thanks for the pointer, Pladi

flipmode if you haven't gotten any code and you can tolerate the shut-offs, just wait until it gets worse, I guess. Mine was gradually getting worse over 1.5 years ownership of the car.
      10-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street of Rage View Post
I replaced the canister and filled up gasoline yesterday. The nozzle premature shut-off is fixed! I reset the code, so I'll have to wait until the tank gets to empty again. But I think replacing canister fixed the issue. Thanks for the pointer, Pladi

flipmode if you haven't gotten any code and you can tolerate the shut-offs, just wait until it gets worse, I guess. Mine was gradually getting worse over 1.5 years ownership of the car.
Nice!

I had a questions and similarly-ish issue on this actually.

How fast was the nozzle clicking off, at like how many liters/gallon?

In my case it seems to click off. I found that if I stop pumping my gas for 3 seconds every 20 liters (5.2 gallons) until full it's fine and never clicked off early.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I've had the code come up twice this summer, as for fill ups its been a real pain in the ass. On a fill up, it clicks off on me at least 10 times. It is so frustrating especially when your trying to get the correct mixture with e85
      10-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

good stuff man
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Nice!

I had a questions and similarly-ish issue on this actually.

How fast was the nozzle clicking off, at like how many liters/gallon?

In my case it seems to click off. I found that if I stop pumping my gas for 3 seconds every 20 liters (5.2 gallons) until full it's fine and never clicked off early.
Nozzle clicked off about every 1 gallon or so. I pulled the nozzle out and inserted repeatedly, very frustrated indeed.

Quote:
I've had the code come up twice this summer, as for fill ups its been a real pain in the ass. On a fill up, it clicks off on me at least 10 times. It is so frustrating especially when your trying to get the correct mixture with e85
The struggle has been real, FOR REAL.

--------------------------------------------
Quick summary: several weeks ago I pulled out the old canister, which looks perfectly fine, with very minimal white residues, which is normal... I tried to use air compressor to blow air in and out (clear our passages), according to several Youtube vids, thinking it may delay or fix the issue. It doesn't help at all. Lol

Also, as i mentioned above, breather vent valve and DMTL pump were replaced and did not help the situation as well. So i bit the cost and bought the canister and crossed my finger at the gas station yesterday as I was pumping

Just hope this would help anyone with this issue now or in the future. Thanks again Pladi
      10-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nozzle clicked off about every 1 gallon or so. I pulled the nozzle out and inserted repeatedly, very frustrated indeed.

The struggle has been real, FOR REAL.

--------------------------------------------
Quick summary: several weeks ago I pulled out the old canister, which looks perfectly fine, with very minimal white residues, which is normal... I tried to use air compressor to blow air in and out (clear our passages), according to several Youtube vids, thinking it may delay or fix the issue. It doesn't help at all. Lol

Also, as i mentioned above, breather vent valve and DMTL pump were replaced and did not help the situation as well. So i bit the cost and bought the canister and crossed my finger at the gas station yesterday as I was pumping

Just hope this would help anyone with this issue now or in the future. Thanks again Pladi
I am familiar with this issue because my Mazda 3 had that problem and thats the only thing that worked. I assumed this is the same.. glad it turned outt o be.
Appreciate 2
      10-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I wonder if previous owner(s) had filled up with cheaper ACN91 gasoline that caused the canister to clogged or heavily filtered out the fume..
      10-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
I wonder if previous owner(s) had filled up with cheaper ACN91 gasoline that caused the canister to clogged or heavily filtered out the fume..
I thought the reason it happens is because it's overfill and liquid falls into it but I never really understood how that happens.

But thanks for the reply, thankfully your issue is not what I'm getting and it's just what others have said reading past forums, it's just how the car is and tilting the gun does help.
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2018, 12:26 AM   #17
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I thought the reason it happens is because it's overfill and liquid falls into it but I never really understood how that happens.

But thanks for the reply, thankfully your issue is not what I'm getting and it's just what others have said reading past forums, it's just how the car is and tilting the gun does help.
I thought so too, but tilting in every way did not help lol.
      10-02-2018, 12:55 AM   #18
n55n55n55n55
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

I'm actually having the same fill-up problem, 10-15 clicks just to get 10 gallons & P2421 code. You got a link to the canister? Is it the Activated Charcoal Filter? I don't know what to look for.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #19
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55n55n55n55 View Post
I'm actually having the same fill-up problem, 10-15 clicks just to get 10 gallons & P2421 code. You got a link to the canister? Is it the Activated Charcoal Filter? I don't know what to look for.
I got it from FCPEURO. It's activated charcoal filter.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...er-16137163596

You maybe able to find it cheaper on ebay from a legit seller.

Last edited by Street of Rage; 10-03-2018 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
n55n55n55n55
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Thanks! This will be awesome if I can finally fill up a full tank of gas, and pass my emissions properly.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
flipmode
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I ended up finding a used Activated Charcoal Filter at the wreckers and switched mine out a couple weeks ago. I can say after swapping it out, this also fixed my problem filling up at the pumps!
      10-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #22
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's good to hear, brother!