E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Drawing 6A current before ignition- lights/start stop fuses

09-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
ec362
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Drawing 6A current before ignition- lights/start stop fuses

Hi there
When doing the rocker cover and CCV on my e91 I disconnected the battery (out of habit). When I connected back up at the end it was arcing like anything and multimeter said 6 amps current!!! Digging around the fuses it was fuses 51, 52, 53, 54 and 59 but mainly 51 and 52 drawing it. Looks like this is the lights and start stop system from the key. Questions would be
- Any idea what I might have done to do this?! Shorted something? Anyone had this experience when opening things up?
- Any idea how to fix it ha ha

Thanks
Ed
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Doesn't surprise me that you get a peak current when you first reconnect the battery.
Cars are full of computers that all want to reboot at the same time if they have had a period with no power.
Unlike the old days switching the ignition off does not disable as much as you might think and there are a lot of circuits that are still live and doing stuff.
After the initial spark of battery reconnection does the current drop off after a few minutes once all of the systems have re-initiated themselves?
Appreciate 0