E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Dechroming options

11-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Dechroming options

Hello all,

Interested in getting rid of the Chromeline shite on the 1 series... OK, it doesnt look the end of the world - but its not going to be in keeping with the theme this car will attain.

I have considered the following -

Replace Chrome (were talking round the windows here) with High Gloss Shadowline... quoted around £800 from BMW, which is both inexplicable and astonishingly expensive!

Vinyl wrap of the Chrome - could be an option, would just go for a nice shiny black to keep an OEM look, CF would look comedy and Matte black would just be random. Anyone know of a place in the North up to the job and for the right price?

Any ideas guys?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Can't help Matt but what are your initial thoughts of the 135i??

I know 'Mr bmwbailey Hoops' did a diy job on his 335i with some tape and he'd be the first to admit it wasn't the best finish so, not that you will, but don't do it yourself!!!
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hello all,

Interested in getting rid of the Chromeline shite on the 1 series... OK, it doesnt look the end of the world - but its not going to be in keeping with the theme this car will attain.

I have considered the following -

Replace Chrome (were talking round the windows here) with High Gloss Shadowline... quoted around £800 from BMW, which is both inexplicable and astonishingly expensive!

Vinyl wrap of the Chrome - could be an option, would just go for a nice shiny black to keep an OEM look, CF would look comedy and Matte black would just be random. Anyone know of a place in the North up to the job and for the right price?

Any ideas guys?

Matt
Do the vinyl wrap mate. I got quoted £150 for it by some guy in Reading (no use to you) but that's something to give you a benchmark figure to work with. I remember the BMW shit was extremely overpriced! I'm leaving mine as it is for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
I'm leaving mine as it is for the moment.
I think Chrome looks good on a black car. The chrome compliments the 'clean' alloys, and bits in the grill on the 6cl cars.

Problem is when you start to dechrome other bits like the grill (which I know you have ). It starts to look a bit out of place.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Very good mate.

I will post a full 'First impressions' review and pics prob early next week.

I like... The sharper turn in; excellent, creamy, revvy engine; sharp, easy to work gearbox; fantastic noise; plus more.

I dislike... Even harsher ride; slightly slower than the mapped 335d; slightly cheap looking pop up nav screen; few other bits!

Do I like it more than the 335d? Yes and no... It's not a 'better car' but its probably 'more suitable' for me right now.

I would say that a 1 series compared like for like with a 3 series with the same mods, or lack of, would be quicker, without sacrificing much (or any) luxury...

On the other hand, there is no doubt the 3 series is the better looking car, but that will always be based on opinion.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Very good mate.

I will post a full 'First impressions' review and pics prob early next week.

I like... The sharper turn in; excellent, creamy, revvy engine; sharp, easy to work gearbox; fantastic noise; plus more.

I dislike... Even harsher ride; slightly slower than the mapped 335d; slightly cheap looking pop up nav screen; few other bits!

Do I like it more than the 335d? Yes and no... It's not a 'better car' but its probably 'more suitable' for me right now.

I would say that a 1 series compared like for like with a 3 series with the same mods, or lack of, would be quicker, without sacrificing much (or any) luxury...

On the other hand, there is no doubt the 3 series is the better looking car, but that will always be based on opinion.

Matt
I am sure it will grow on you some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I think Chrome looks good on a black car. The chrome compliments the 'clean' alloys, and bits in the grill on the 6cl cars.

Problem is when you start to dechrome other bits like the grill (which I know you have ). It starts to look a bit out of place.
Love the strategic use of clean. Yeh it won't help with darker alloys in the future as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I am sure it will grow on you some more.
Sorry,

If it reads that I am not really pleased, then thats not true - I am really pleased!!

One thing I love is how all the 'tail happy' sillyness of the 350z and other cars I have had is back!!

Matt
Appreciate 0