E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006 325i won’t start (peep the username)

11-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Ihatemy325i
Istillhatemy325i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 335i

Unhappy 2006 325i won’t start (peep the username)

Hey y’all so for the past week my car has been in the dumps. My serpentine belt slipped off last weekend and so like anyone else would, I threw that fucker back on and went on with my day. Well about 3 days later, it came off again so I figured it was my tensioner and so I bought a new tensioner pulley and new serpentine belt and scheduled my repair for this weekend. Of course my car did not like my schedule and decided to slip off the next two days in a row on my home from work. But yesterday on my way home from work everything hit the fan. My belt came off as I was driving per usual so I pulled over and popped the hood to find my belt off AND my air cooling tube connected right below the temp sensor had came off and all my coolant completely drained out onto the street. I was about a mile from my house so I threw the belt back on and shoved the tube to where it was basically dangling off but still on. The water hose fitting that the tube was connected to was snapped and so today I went and got some new clamps and ordered a new fitting that will be here Monday. Here’s my problem, I started my car up this morning and yanked in my garage with no story in belt on or coolant in my car and the tube was off and not connected BUT it started fine. I replaced the whole tensioner pulley and serpentine belt and also rigged my coolant tube back on the connector to where it was not leaking coolant except a few drops. I filled my coolant back up as well. I tried to start the car and NOTHING. I hear it trying but it’s just not starting. I’ve tried troubleshooting as much as possible, thought the belt was on too tight so I listened that a bit and even completely took it off bc it should still start even if the belt is off like it did in the morning, still nothing. I have no idea what to do or where to tune but I’m hoping someone here could help me. Thank you my fellow stressed out Beamer owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatemy325i View Post
Hey y’all so for the past week my car has been in the dumps. My serpentine belt slipped off last weekend and so like anyone else would, I threw that fucker back on and went on with my day. Well about 3 days later, it came off again so I figured it was my tensioner and so I bought a new tensioner pulley and new serpentine belt and scheduled my repair for this weekend. Of course my car did not like my schedule and decided to slip off the next two days in a row on my home from work. But yesterday on my way home from work everything hit the fan. My belt came off as I was driving per usual so I pulled over and popped the hood to find my belt off AND my air cooling tube connected right below the temp sensor had came off and all my coolant completely drained out onto the street. I was about a mile from my house so I threw the belt back on and shoved the tube to where it was basically dangling off but still on. The water hose fitting that the tube was connected to was snapped and so today I went and got some new clamps and ordered a new fitting that will be here Monday. Here’s my problem, I started my car up this morning and yanked in my garage with no story in belt on or coolant in my car and the tube was off and not connected BUT it started fine. I replaced the whole tensioner pulley and serpentine belt and also rigged my coolant tube back on the connector to where it was not leaking coolant except a few drops. I filled my coolant back up as well. I tried to start the car and NOTHING. I hear it trying but it’s just not starting. I’ve tried troubleshooting as much as possible, thought the belt was on too tight so I listened that a bit and even completely took it off bc it should still start even if the belt is off like it did in the morning, still nothing. I have no idea what to do or where to tune but I’m hoping someone here could help me. Thank you my fellow stressed out Beamer owners.
Pulled any codes
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
These engines really like to stay cool. Driving any car without coolant for more than about 30 seconds can do immense damage. These aren't any different, and you drove for a few minutes? You could get amazingly lucky and just have some sensor wire disconnected that's keeping it from starting, or you might be looking at a new engine.

And when the belt comes off, there's about a 1 in 10 chance that the crank pulley will grab the belt and suck it in around the front of the engine shredding the front main seal in the process.
So, you were already lucky the first time it came off... the other 4 times? Were you thinking your car is indestructible?
Appreciate 3
dpaul653.50
Efthreeoh17303.00
      11-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Ihatemy325i
Istillhatemy325i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
These engines really like to stay cool. Driving any car without coolant for more than about 30 seconds can do immense damage. These aren't any different, and you drove for a few minutes? You could get amazingly lucky and just have some sensor wire disconnected that's keeping it from starting, or you might be looking at a new engine.

And when the belt comes off, there's about a 1 in 10 chance that the crank pulley will grab the belt and suck it in around the front of the engine shredding the front main seal in the process.
So, you were already lucky the first time it came off... the other 4 times? Were you thinking your car is indestructible?
Everytime the belt came off it was in perfectly fine condition it just slipped off the pulley. It never got sucked into the engine. But yeah I should have just kept it there and worked on it but I had no tools
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sell your car and buy a Civic. This is the perfect example of a great car owned by someone not equipped to own it.

The E90 probably has the best on-line support of any BMW let alone any car on the internet. The two problems your car has have been discussed and diagnosed on this forum ad nauseam. The first time the belt slipped off the pulley should have been your first sign to check on the internet to find out the problem and the repair for it. Your car is probably leaking from the oil filter housing and contaminating the belt, which causes it to slip off the tensioner. Or the tensioner bolt has started to fatigue and the tensioner is failing to maintain tension on the belt. As vlord said, you're lucky the belt wasn't ingested by the crankshaft and destroying the engine. Google "E90 oil filter housing gasket".

The second issue is also well known, and the repair is changing the t-stat plastic hose bib with an aluminum replacement part. Running the engine without a closed cooling system is completely idiotic; no water-cooled engine will run more than a few minutes without overheating with an open cooling system. It appears you don't understand automobiles, let alone BMWs.

And it's Bimmer, not Beamer. Beamers are BMW motorcycles.

Seriously, go buy a clapped out Civic or Corolla and make your life easier. BMW ownership is not your thing.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-24-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sell your car and by a Civic. This is the perfect example of a great car owned by someone not equipped to own it.

The E90 probably has the best on-line support of any BMW let alone any car on the internet. The two problems your car has have been discussed and diagnosed on this forum ad nauseam. The first time the belt slipped off the pulley should have been your first sign to check on the internet to find out the problem and the repair for it. Your car is probably leaking from the oil filter housing and contaminating the belt, which causes it to slip off the tensioner. Or the tensioner bolt has started to fatigue and the tensioner is failing to maintain tension on the belt. As vlord said, you're lucky the belt wasn't ingested by the crankshaft and destroying the engine. Google "E90 oil filter housing gasket".

The second issue is also well known, and the repair is changing the t-stat plastic hose bib with an aluminum replacement part. Running the engine without a closed cooling system is completely idiotic; no water-cooled engine will run more than a few minutes without overheating with an open cooling system. It appears you don't understand automobiles, let alone BMWs.

And it's Bimmer, not Beamer. Beamers are BMW motorcycles.

Seriously, go buy a clapped out Civic or Corolla and make your life easier. BMW ownership is not your thing.
Harsh.....but fair
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00