E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AFE Catted or other Stainless Header for N52 E90 E91 328i? Noise is an Issue

12-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

AFE Catted or other Stainless Header for N52 E90 E91 328i? Noise is an Issue

This is for my family wagon. I'm worried non-catted header may cause too much noise. I plan to keep the OE mid pipe with high flow cats, mid muffler and OE tail muffler.
The only reason I want header is to make more power and equal length sound quality from the exhaust pulses.
AFE Catted header runs like $1,300 even with discount. But I think it's ceramic coated? It doesn't look to be equal length between the two sets.

Active AutoWerks stainless design seems to be equal length between the forward and aft headers, contributing to better exhaust pulse sound.

Can someone who has had header upgrades for a long while chime in?
I want to make more power, better exhaust pulse, but not so much noise. I need to be able to drive on the highway with family.
Thank you.

Last edited by Soravia; 12-31-2019 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

AA headers on a car with everything else stock is hardly distinguishable from a completely stock system.

My friend has AA cat less headers, stock mid-pipe with secondary cats, stock resonator, and stock muffler.

Even my car with the exhaust it has is quieter than a stock setup that's done a muffler delete....and there are a few exhaust clips in this section of just a muffler delete for you to listen to and gauge how it sounds.
      01-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I second what Rmtt said. I ran the AA headers as my only exhaust mod for a while. It sounded stock to me, I am 100% sure if you have a stock muffler you won’t be upset with the noise of a header upgrade.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8211.00
      01-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I'll go AA route then. Should I do DISA + Tune first or Header first? I know header doesn't NEED a tune but I still have to do something about the CEL codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Thanks! I'll go AA route then. Should I do DISA + Tune first or Header first? I know header doesn't NEED a tune but I still have to do something about the CEL codes.
Can you do both financially? When I did my 3SI tune, adding the headers to the tune was only $100 extra.

If you can do that, I would knock it all out at once.
      01-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
This is for my family wagon. I'm worried non-catted header may cause too much noise. I plan to keep the OE mid pipe with high flow cats, mid muffler and OE tail muffler.
The only reason I want header is to make more power and equal length sound quality from the exhaust pulses.
AFE Catted header runs like $1,300 even with discount. But I think it's ceramic coated? It doesn't look to be equal length between the two sets.

Active AutoWerks stainless design seems to be equal length between the forward and aft headers, contributing to better exhaust pulse sound.

Can someone who has had header upgrades for a long while chime in?
I want to make more power, better exhaust pulse, but not so much noise. I need to be able to drive on the highway with family.
Thank you.
I had AA headers for over 40k miles with the same setup you are describing. Other than very slight increase in raspiness when pushed, everything sounds like stock. There is no noise difference while cruising or driving normally.

The only “side effect” will be increased smell.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also in case I mis-read....if you are asking if headers OR 3Si....I would do the 3SI first. Much easier install and more power throughout the RPM range in my opinion.
      01-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Can you do both financially? When I did my 3SI tune, adding the headers to the tune was only $100 extra.

If you can do that, I would knock it all out at once.
I have the money. Time is issue with work, family, etc. Even though it's not my DD, I don't like unfinished cars sitting in driveway.

I need to clear up more in garage to park it.

I'll probably do headers when I get a chance to do clutch?
I plan to do clutch, rear diff (LSD), front diff (final ratio to Automatic 3.93), and engine oil pan all in one go. Might as well throw in the header if I can pull it out from the bottom instead of top? �� I just got to plan it.

For smell, I can replace the mid muffler with a high flow cat if I need to reduce the smell. ��
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

I would recommend the 3IM, MILVs, and the StageFP tune all at once, the best bang for your buck imo
Appreciate 0