E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Snapped connector tab on glow plug module

10-08-2018, 05:37 AM   #1
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d, E91, 2008

Snapped connector tab on glow plug module

Hi,

another problem I encountered yesterday when trying to remove the glow plug module.

I removed the round connector no problem but when trying to remove the right connector the tabs were extremely stiff and not moving at all. The plastic must have been well deteriorated and I managed to snap one of the tabs trying to press it.

What are my options?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Does it still work?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

The glow plug module needed to come out for repair as it is faulty. No messages on dash but INPA shows error codes for 5 out of 6 glow plugs, returning immediately after clearing the fault codes.

The connector works and holds itself in (now permanently) but the glow plug module still needs to be replaced.

Now I snapped the tab on the connector trying to get it out and still didn't manage and it seems my chances are slim with the tab broken and the very limited access..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

What I meant was if you put it back together does the connector stay put? I'm changing my module in the next week, wasn't looking forward to it before your post lol.

I'm sure once its on you could use something to make sure it doesn't slip off.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
What I meant was if you put it back together does the connector stay put? I'm changing my module in the next week, wasn't looking forward to it before your post lol.

I'm sure once its on you could use something to make sure it doesn't slip off.
It does stay put ...and that's the problem. I broke the tab which allows you to remove the connector. Hence I wasn't able to take the glow plug module out in the first place. If I managed to get it off before snapping it you could clip it back on to the new one and i't be fine until the next time you need to take it off. However, it is unlikely you'd brake the tab after removing it. It broke because the plastic was brittle as opposed to springy, probably due to age and temperature.

...and that's my question. What are my options now? I still need to take out the glow plug module to repair it, but how do I take it out? It's like breaking a key inside a locked door's lock.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

by the way I saw the video before the repair and was hoping it would be that easy... but it wasn't. I even took the manifold off as I wanted to check for carbon buildup anyway. Luckily not much CBU there. But taking the manifold off made little difference to how difficult it was to do this job blind and one handed when the connector is not coming off.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Yes agree it looks a right pain where it is. Do you have any hook tools that you can use to pry the connector away?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
Yes agree it looks a right pain where it is. Do you have any hook tools that you can use to pry the connector away?
I have picks but with the lack of access the manoeuvrability with any tool will be limited. But the bigger problem is that I can't see what I'm doing and I don't know where to stick the pick to release the connector.

Also, even if I release the front clip, there is one on the back of the connector too. ...also solid.

You know when the guy in the video says "you squeeze one side and you hear click..." well, I heard it... but it snapped the tab off
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felippe View Post
I have picks but with the lack of access the manoeuvrability with any tool will be limited. But the bigger problem is that I can't see what I'm doing and I don't know where to stick the pick to release the connector.

Also, even if I release the front clip, there is one on the back of the connector too. ...also solid.

You know when the guy in the video says "you squeeze one side and you hear click..." well, I heard it... but it snapped the tab off

If you look at the new glow plug module would that help you locate where you need to get a pick tool in to release the plug? I take it the module is still bolted in?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

I had the module unbolted but didn't help me... if anything it was more difficult to do anything with it as you can't hold it with two hands. Plus mine is completely covered in oil from the leaky swirl flap seals.

I know what the glow plug module connector looks like. That doesn't really help to be honest.

Last edited by Felippe; 10-08-2018 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:53 AM   #12
lloydie
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

You can buy a new plug from BMW worst case scenario, though you would have to de-pin the existing connector with the limited access which is a PITA.
Leave the glow plug box bolted down to pop the plugs off, or at least loosen them off the locking tabs, then unbolt the box. You can also try pushing the plug on further whilst pushing the tab down, sometimes it gets caught on the tabs on the glow box controller.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #13
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydie View Post
You can buy a new plug from BMW worst case scenario, though you would have to de-pin the existing connector with the limited access which is a PITA.
Leave the glow plug box bolted down to pop the plugs off, or at least loosen them off the locking tabs, then unbolt the box. You can also try pushing the plug on further whilst pushing the tab down, sometimes it gets caught on the tabs on the glow box controller.
Thanks! Hopefully I won't have to change the plug as that won't be just a PITA but pretty much impossible considering where it is, unless I can free it up a bit further. I tried pushing the plug further on as I was pressing the tabs but it made no difference - but this is definitely a very good piece of advice for everyone with any connector!!!

Does anyone have a good resolution close-up photo of this or any other connector with same style tabs so I can figure out how I can unlock it with the tab missing? I'm thinking of making a small tool to hold the locking tab off the barb, insert it (blindly) on both sides and then the connector should hopefully pop off.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
lloydie
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I have the plug in my garage if you can wait. I have de-pinned one in situ but the whole plug was cracked so the pins practically fell out. I think you can move the wiring harness once the plug is off, it goes downwards from memory, and then you can access it from under the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
Felippe
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydie View Post
I have the plug in my garage if you can wait. I have de-pinned one in situ but the whole plug was cracked so the pins practically fell out. I think you can move the wiring harness once the plug is off, it goes downwards from memory, and then you can access it from under the car.
Thanks very much!!! I've found some nice close-ups of the assembly. (If you are looking for a part number, note that this glow plug module part number might not be the right one for you, it's just to show the connector!)

Name:  Module with connector.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  279.9 KB
Name:  Module with connector 2.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  304.3 KB

I think I can get a pick into the gap and leaver it out. If not, I will grind a toothpick out of a drill bit and try with that

I'll see if I can take some photos if I get to do it this weekend.
Appreciate 0