E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Please help Cluster issues

10-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Rxilher
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Please help Cluster issues

Hello all,

I am new to BMW's and trying to help my brother. I have VW coding experience.

Long and short is... I am trying to help with a cluster milage/tamper light issue. He has a 2008 335 NA manual sedan with about 68,000 miles. He tried to solder LED's in the cluster and fried it. A friend gave him a similar 328 cluster with over 100,000 miles and he put it in without coding. He has driven it for a few months that way.

So... how do Fix it? Is the CAS now forced to the higher milage? Can I find out the actual milage? I just want to get it back to actual and get rid of the tamper light. I can get NCS Expert , a EEPROM programmer... whatever if the price is reasonable. Or work with a coder that can help. I am open to any/all suggestions.

Thanks you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Miran
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

Hey

What i readed is that you need to delete the miles and vin number from that cluster. I called bmw for that and they said when you plug a new cluster in it get the vin and miles from the cas. When the cluster has more milages then the cas, the cas will then overtake the miles from the cluster. If the cluster has les milages as the cas then the cluster overtake the miles from the cas. This works only when the cluster has the vin from the car. To delete the milages and vin you need to do this with the eeprom chip.

Whats with your original cluster? I have done some led change on e46, e60 and e90. Does the clustee work? Does the leds not work? You have - ans + on the board. I can give you my plan for + - maybe you have solderd it the wrong way

Sorry for my bad englisch im from germany.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Rxilher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miran View Post
Hey

What i readed is that you need to delete the miles and vin number from that cluster. I called bmw for that and they said when you plug a new cluster in it get the vin and miles from the cas. When the cluster has more milages then the cas, the cas will then overtake the miles from the cluster. If the cluster has les milages as the cas then the cluster overtake the miles from the cas. This works only when the cluster has the vin from the car. To delete the milages and vin you need to do this with the eeprom chip.

Whats with your original cluster? I have done some led change on e46, e60 and e90. Does the clustee work? Does the leds not work? You have - ans + on the board. I can give you my plan for + - maybe you have solderd it the wrong way

Sorry for my bad englisch im from germany.
Thank you for your comments! So because this donor cluster was never coded to the VIN the CAS should still hold the actual milage?

Sadly whatever my brother damaged when soldering the LED's caused it to not function at all. He threw the cluster out about 1 year ago when he did the soldering.

So what do I need to proceed? A low milage cluster? Minipro EEPROM programmer, SOP8 clip, INPA K+DCAN? All of those? What software? I have plenty of old Windows laptops.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Miran
Rep
Drives: E90 318i

I work for a guy who is soldering cluster. Now he wants to change the cluster from 260 to 330. He gave me a used one with higher milages and another vin. I have pluged it in hand stated coding. I test drived also with the cluster. After that i put my old cluster back and the milages was normal. If you want to read out the cas you need the i think its called ediabas tools. Then you have inpa for readinc out fault memeory, ncs expert for coding and tool32 for testing and more coding . There are 3 cables for bmw. One for 19xx to i think 2004, then one for e modelles and then there is a ethern cable for the f series. But please google that for yourself i could be wrong and wait a time maybe there is someone who has more knowledge than me
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Rxilher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miran View Post
I work for a guy who is soldering cluster. Now he wants to change the cluster from 260 to 330. He gave me a used one with higher milages and another vin. I have pluged it in hand stated coding. I test drived also with the cluster. After that i put my old cluster back and the milages was normal. If you want to read out the cas you need the i think its called ediabas tools. Then you have inpa for readinc out fault memeory, ncs expert for coding and tool32 for testing and more coding . There are 3 cables for bmw. One for 19xx to i think 2004, then one for e modelles and then there is a ethern cable for the f series. But please google that for yourself i could be wrong and wait a time maybe there is someone who has more knowledge than me
Thanks! Any suggestions on a better area to post this for more responses?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

One or more big threads on this

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...+cluster+miles

even more show up if you do the search
wildcatcrazy has a pretty straightforward explanation in the above thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:50 AM   #7
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

your better off just getting a virgin eeprom chip to solder to the board as the eeprom software is kinda hard to get/time consuming on learning. if you get a enough chip and solder it to the board(you need someone who can do smd soldering) then theoretically you can use tool32 to write the Vin and the computers should fix mileage back to normal. Most people think mileage is only stored in the Kombi and CAS but it's in like 4 or 5 different modules.

Alot of this info is around as people need to do this when they want to swap in a M cluster and keep correct mileage without tamper dot. Also the tamper dot is cause by going over the Grace window form car to car. I think I read it was something stupid like 10 hours, though I dunno how true this is.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
your better off just getting a virgin eeprom chip to solder to the board as the eeprom software is kinda hard to get/time consuming on learning. if you get a enough chip and solder it to the board(you need someone who can do smd soldering) then theoretically you can use tool32 to write the Vin and the computers should fix mileage back to normal. Most people think mileage is only stored in the Kombi and CAS but it's in like 4 or 5 different modules.

Alot of this info is around as people need to do this when they want to swap in a M cluster and keep correct mileage without tamper dot. Also the tamper dot is cause by going over the Grace window form car to car. I think I read it was something stupid like 10 hours, though I dunno how true this is.
You can't just replace it with a blank chip without the proper Eeprom dump to write back to it. The software and hardware versions need to match. There's a lot more info on these EP's than just mileage and VIN. The programmer was $50, the software is free, and takes all of 5-30 minutes to figure out depending on how bright you are. Tool32 isn't necessary to write the VIN, a simple default coding of the KOMBI writes it. Tool32 will not overwrite the VIN in a cluster that has been used.

The mileage and VIN need to be erased no matter what cluster you put in unless it's a brand new one. M3, 335i, etc. all need to be virginized to work in a different car. The tamper dot is caused by the VIN mismatch. Once the VIN is written it goes away
      10-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Rxilher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:

You can't just replace it with a blank chip without the proper Eeprom dump to write back to it. The software and hardware versions need to match. There's a lot more info on these EP's than just mileage and VIN. The programmer was $50, the software is free, and takes all of 5-30 minutes to figure out depending on how bright you are. Tool32 isn't necessary to write the VIN, a simple default coding of the KOMBI writes it. Tool32 will not overwrite the VIN in a cluster that has been used.

The mileage and VIN need to be erased no matter what cluster you put in unless it's a brand new one. M3, 335i, etc. all need to be virginized to work in a different car. The tamper dot is caused by the VIN mismatch. Once the VIN is written it goes away
Thank you for the additional information! What are the actual softwares that should be used for each process?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxilher View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the additional information! What are the actual softwares that should be used for each process?
The programmer usually comes with a software CD. My coding laptop doesn't have a CD disc drive so I just googled R270 programmer V1.3 download and found a online download. This is for erasing the mileage and VIN. You'll need NCS Expert to default code the KOMBI after its reinstalled to write your VIN to it.
      11-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #11
Rxilher
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The programmer usually comes with a software CD. My coding laptop doesn't have a CD disc drive so I just googled R270 programmer V1.3 download and found a online download. This is for erasing the mileage and VIN. You'll need NCS Expert to default code the KOMBI after its reinstalled to write your VIN to it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! So NCS Expert and the chip flashing software? No other software suites?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! So NCS Expert and the chip flashing software? No other software suites?
Software wise that's all you need.