E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Differences between DAF/PAF and 0da/0pa files for WinKFP

10-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Differences between DAF/PAF and 0da/0pa files for WinKFP

Does anyone know what DAF/PAF files are used for?

I had never seen a DAF file before but recently stumbled onto one for the MSS60 DME. It appears that the DAF is a BINHEX like the 0da and extremely similar to it. The differences I can see are that the RSA signature block present in the 0da is not present in the DAF but the DAF contains a few lines of data not present in the 0da. DAF also explicitly fills unused memory with FF which the 0DA generally does not do.

To my surprise I could find nothing by Google searches or direct searches on several forums relating to the differences between DAF/PAF and 0DA/0PA files and what DAF/PAF files are actually used for. The WinKFP 'manual' floating around the internet mentions DAF/PAF files, implying they are accepted by WinKFP for flashing, but is not explicit about their specific uses.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the DAF incorporated some mechanism to bypass the RSA signing requirement (so that altered calibration files could be flashed using WinKFP). Probably not true but a wonderful fantasy. It would be simple enough to test but I thought I'd try to find out a little more about DAF/PAF files before taking the risk, however slight it might be.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Does anyone know what DAF/PAF files are used for?

I had never seen a DAF file before but recently stumbled onto one for the MSS60 DME. It appears that the DAF is a BINHEX like the 0da and extremely similar to it. The differences I can see are that the RSA signature block present in the 0da is not present in the DAF but the DAF contains a few lines of data not present in the 0da. DAF also explicitly fills unused memory with FF which the 0DA generally does not do.

To my surprise I could find nothing by Google searches or direct searches on several forums relating to the differences between DAF/PAF and 0DA/0PA files and what DAF/PAF files are actually used for. The WinKFP 'manual' floating around the internet mentions DAF/PAF files, implying they are accepted by WinKFP for flashing, but is not explicit about their specific uses.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the DAF incorporated some mechanism to bypass the RSA signing requirement (so that altered calibration files could be flashed using WinKFP). Probably not true but a wonderful fantasy. It would be simple enough to test but I thought I'd try to find out a little more about DAF/PAF files before taking the risk, however slight it might be.
Don't waste your time with this.

BimmerLabs has cracked most of the common DMEs and made the unlock programs available for free.

The web sight also coverts a custom tune into a 0dA file that can be flashed into an unlocked DME and a few TCUs. They even provide the script that runs Winfkp for you.

Check it out. A lot of time and hard work went into this.

I don't expect this to remain free for very long.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

BimmerLabs has done beautiful work but it did not include the MSS60 (E9x M3 DME) last time I checked. And even if their repertoire included the MSS60, I'd still like to know what the purpose of DAF/PAF files are.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:28 PM   #4
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
BimmerLabs has done beautiful work but it did not include the MSS60 (E9x M3 DME) last time I checked. And even if their repertoire included the MSS60, I'd still like to know what the purpose of DAF/PAF files are.
As you discovered, they are unsigned program (PAF) or data (DAF) exchange files. They just contain some extra directives at the end of the file to build the signature table. They are intermediate stage files that can be signed by PaFMaker to generate the 0pa/0da files.