E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > [FIXED] N53 weird misfires (rough idle & rare power loss)

02-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #45
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325i E92 N53 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I doubt NOx sensor would cause a misfire. I still think you're right - it's injector(s). See this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...5#post23587995

If you can afford it, I'd replace all six injectors, not just one bank.
Yeah that's definitely what I'm going to do, will get them for £1110 from Cooper Tunbridge Wells as I couldn't find any cheaper that have warranty.
Will install them myself and will have a full service done on it with oil and all filters changed.

Ultimately, if the problem is still there, I'll go like that thread suggests, to MapTech to get it remapped and NOx coded out. I've emailed them to get a quote and the whole shebang is actually cheaper than a NOXEM unit and + it's a stage 1 remap which gives the car some extra power too which seems like a win-win.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #46
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I doubt NOx sensor would cause a misfire. I still think you're right - it's injector(s). See this thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...5#post23587995

If you can afford it, I'd replace all six injectors, not just one bank.
Update: I have continued querying about the procedure with MapTech and they told me if I have NOx cat issues, just coding out the NOx sensor wouldn't fix those. I'd additionally have to have the secondary cat removed.
They told me it would obviously cost extra, but that I could have it done at any other garage if I wanted to.

However, what's just curious is that in the thread there, Will_460cs says it fixed the NOx ageing issues for him and hasn't mentioned anything about removing the cats themselves. He hasn't been online since last year though, so I think waiting for a reply to the PM I sent him is hopeless...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:46 AM   #47
mahoone
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Replacing NOX sensor or coding it out won't fix the leaking injectors so I would get them done first.

I've got NOXEM installed for a year now and it does its job. No more NOX error codes and the car operates in Strafited mode as it should.
There's no need to remove cats because there's probably nothing wrong with them. It's the error code (30E9) that's preventing your engine to operate in Stratify mode.

What error codes are you getting now? Is it just 2DED and 30E9?
Any misfire codes?

Last edited by mahoone; 02-16-2019 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #48
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoone View Post
Replacing NOX sensor or coding it out won't fix the leaking injectors so I would get them done first.

I've got NOXEM installed for a year now and it does its job. No more NOX error codes and the car operates in Strafited mode as it should.
There's no need to remove cats because there's probably nothing wrong with them. It's the error code (30E9) that's preventing your engine to operate in Stratify mode.

What error codes are you getting now? Is it just 2DED and 30E9?
Any misfire codes?
I've said earlier that I'll replace all 6 injectors first.
Then I'll clear out errors, reset adaptations and drive for about 200-300km. Only after, if the cat errors return or I'm not satisfied with how it runs I'll take it to the remap guys. I'll order the injectors next week and fingers crossed I fix the issue.

You can look in the full history of the errors in that folder and see it says something about cylinders 4 and 6 (29CE and 29D0). I've looked at the km timestamp of these and they coincide exactly with when I remember getting the CEL. Last occurrence was precisely on my way to the garage, and again a start-stop of the engine cured this.
I have also had a read about that 2FDA error that popped up once ever, about 1.5k miles away just to ease my mind. Section 1 of https://bimmerprofs.com/hpfp/ which includes my code, mentions one of the most probable cause of this being leaky injectors.

I think the 2DED code you can ignore as that literally came and went, and is most probably caused by my cable/obd port/laptop's connection.

I'm just curious if the OP in that thread had to get his secondary cat removed to get rid of the 30E9 cat aging error (like the remap guys told me they need to) or if just the coding out of the NOx sensor did it (like he said it did)...

Last edited by Mircea; 02-16-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #49
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

I have just tested my PCV for whistles while the engine is running and there are no sounds, just a very very tiny whistle when I partly put my finger over the breather. Also opened the oil filler cup with the engine running, there is almost no vacuum though there is definitely some air getting sucked in with it open, and the idle just went nuts until I put it back on, all of which I have read is normal.

I have also cleaned my intake VANOS solenoid (looked like this https://i.ibb.co/jvGYmzq/IMG-0509.jpg) it made no difference from what I could tell, though the engine was already warm when I started up the car, but there were still slight shakes and smell of petrol quickly after startup. I'll see in the morning but I have little hope for this. Was worth a try though.

Anything else I could try doing before ordering the injectors or while waiting for them?

Last edited by Mircea; 02-16-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 04:00 AM   #50
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

Bought the new index 11s, replaced and coded them yesterday, reset errors and adaptations and redid them.
Here's how the old ones looked with emphasis on the ones that looked worst.
There was some oil on some of them from halfway down but I guess that's from when I had the leaky VCG. One of them especially had oil with this white vanilla-like colour to it which I guess is just dust? Neither smelled of anything unusual.

Will have the oil changed and filters replaced this week hopefully.

I started the car up this morning after a ~10h sit and the problem seems to be gone where there were shakes and idle fluctuations at cold there's no more. Only time will tell though, this week'll be a trial.

I still have the 30E9 error code popping up though, but this will probably be for another thread later on.

Cheers everyone for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #51
mahoone
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

That's great! Well done
I had the 30E9 code when I bought the car. I ended up buying NOXEM which got rid of it permanently.
When you start the car in the morning does it rev up to 700-800 rpm and then gradually drop down to idle rpm?

Here's what mine look like:

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:26 AM   #52
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I had the 30E9 code when I bought the car. I ended up buying NOXEM which got rid of it permanently.
I am considering this or the decat/remap way as outlined here, since both options cost roughly the same. Just need to clear some things out about their process first.

Quote:
That's great! Well done
When you start the car in the morning does it rev up to 700-800 rpm and then gradually drop down to idle rpm?
Yeah that's exactly what it did this morning, though it was -1*c and it stayed 1-2min in the higher revs until calming down to ~600rpm.
No shakes or petrol smell!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #53
OliSharp
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport

Is there a particular online guide you followed to code your injectors and re-set adaptations. I know there are loads but I'm looking for a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Update:

Bought the new index 11s, replaced and coded them yesterday, reset errors and adaptations and redid them.
Here's how the old ones looked with emphasis on the ones that looked worst.
There was some oil on some of them from halfway down but I guess that's from when I had the leaky VCG. One of them especially had oil with this white vanilla-like colour to it which I guess is just dust? Neither smelled of anything unusual.

Will have the oil changed and filters replaced this week hopefully.

I started the car up this morning after a ~10h sit and the problem seems to be gone where there were shakes and idle fluctuations at cold there's no more. Only time will tell though, this week'll be a trial.

I still have the 30E9 error code popping up though, but this will probably be for another thread later on.

Cheers everyone for the help!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #54
M//SPORT
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i n53

Wow, this is pretty much the exact same as mine.

I just bought the car off an arsehole copper, saw me coming.

Anyway i am in the exact same position, with pretty much the exact same issues, am just away to start a thread, any advice etc is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by M//SPORT; 09-07-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #55
M//SPORT
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i n53

Same cold starts ok after warmed, runs fine smooth as. I have used Bimmerprofs diagnosis process as i am getting the Nox sensor codes ( short circuit, etc ), misfires, mixture codes etc, high mpg, smell of fuel on cold start.

The nox sensors looks dead, as per Bimmerprofs, so recon its had a fuel bath, but o2s are ok apart from reading rich bank 1.

My other issue was i found a large crack near the oil filler cap neck ( common issue ) so big vacuum leak, i sealed it for now and did help. This is about to be replaced not cheap.

Trims, o2 readings started looking better. Nox still dead.

Checked the plugs bank 2 good bank 1 sooted , too rich deposits ( black ) but no sign of wet plug/s, if they are sooted then surely so are the injectors, been told this is not a true indication of bad injectors as they can also have bad spray patterns or clogged so no fail safe way of telling. How do you check on INPA, i cant find it ?

Coils ok, and changed plugs, still no better.

So was away to swap my Nox sensor out with the NOXEM Bimmerprofs model, and replace valve cover and gasket for BMWoem.

But now i aint so sure.

Obviously the valve cover etc, would have been causing a huge intake leak, possibly triggering the Nox and o2 sensors to then send more fuel, putting pressure on the HPFP the injectors etc, in a self perpetuating circle to foul plugs, Nox, O2s round and round it goes until Nox is dead and maybe injectors to a point.

Anyway i am stuck what to fix obviously the valve cover is a defo, BMW want over £900, supply is a shade over £400.

The NOXEM is £330 delivered if i really do need it.

And as i am sure most of you know injectors per bank supply are about £550-600.

After the valve cover gasket including cracked cover, what should i change first, injectors or Nox, i am totally lost as i am sure most that have suffered these issues have been. There is a wealth of info online but there is also alot of conflict too.

I have read alot about these cars over the last while, and have worked on the e39s and e46 model but ths is a different animal altogether, help.................

Last edited by M//SPORT; 09-07-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0