E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > High pitched, buzzing sound at 60+ MPH?

03-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 328i XDrive

High pitched, buzzing sound at 60+ MPH?

Highway driving - I hear a high-pitched buzzing/whining sound which stays at a consistent pitch. It doesn't wobble or change. It's hard to tell where it's coming from. It hasn't affected the driving at all - it's merely a distraction which shouldn't be there.

Some people who had the same issue said it was their rear view mirror. I adjusted that but the sound still occasionally comes back.

Had a friend in the car and they thought they heard it coming from the rear wheel right wheel.

Did more reading - could this be a defunct or worn down suspension bushing?

What are the possibilities?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschophile View Post
Highway driving - I hear a high-pitched buzzing/whining sound which stays at a consistent pitch. It doesn't wobble or change. It's hard to tell where it's coming from. It hasn't affected the driving at all - it's merely a distraction which shouldn't be there.

Some people who had the same issue said it was their rear view mirror. I adjusted that but the sound still occasionally comes back.

Had a friend in the car and they thought they heard it coming from the rear wheel right wheel.

Did more reading - could this be a defunct or worn down suspension bushing?

What are the possibilities?
Is it just a sound? or is it a very high pitched vibration? I have a weird high pitched "buzzing" vibration at higher freeway speeds (70-80mph) and I can feel it just slightly through my steering wheel. I am thinking it might be an imbalanced front wheel as it feels rotational.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Is it just a sound? or is it a very high pitched vibration? I have a weird high pitched "buzzing" vibration at higher freeway speeds (70-80mph) and I can feel it just slightly through my steering wheel. I am thinking it might be an imbalanced front wheel as it feels rotational.
It's like a high-pitched monotone buzzing sound. I don't think I felt it through my steering wheel but will be aware for the possibility.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's like a high-pitched monotone buzzing sound. I don't think I felt it through my steering wheel but will be aware for the possibility.
You said its pretty consistent. Does that mean you haven't noticed it change in pitch/loudness with a change in speed or RPMS?
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You said its pretty consistent. Does that mean you haven't noticed it change in pitch/loudness with a change in speed or RPMS?
Sorry, I'll clarify - my bad.

I meant the sound is monotone, meaning it doesn't change pitch. That's what I meant by consistent.

The pitch stays the same and the loudness does adjust slightly at points, but only briefly. When it starts, it's soft for a few moments, gets loud, stays loud, then will diminish and disappear once I get below 60 MPH.

It happens intermittently whenever I reach that speed. It hasn't affected the driving other than it being distracting.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I meant the sound is monotone, meaning it doesn't change pitch. That's what I meant by consistent.

The pitch stays the same and the loudness does adjust slightly at points, but only briefly. When it starts, it's soft for a few moments, gets loud, stays loud, then will diminish and disappear once I get below 60 MPH.

It happens intermittently whenever I reach that speed. It hasn't affected the driving other than it being distracting.

Thanks for the help.
Maybe check the balance of your front wheels? One of them couldve thrown a wheel weight.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Have you checked your undertray plastics and exterior seals? Only above 60mph could be aerodynamic noise from loose trim or something. When my undertray wasn’t fastened properly you could hear and feel it moving in the airflow at higher speeds.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2018, 03:37 AM   #8
OlliD
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

Thanks for the help.
I have the exact same problem, also starting at the same speed (not rpm related but rahter speed).
Would be corious what your solution is - I am out of ideas for now but this sucks. I might add that I have the feeling that when this sound occours, I can feel it veeery slightly in the pedals, but nowhere else.
      03-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I will check the undertray and for any loose parts.

The only thing I can think of (longshot) is the TPMS module may be damaged and vibrating against the chassis. I've been getting a "TPMS Inactive" error ever since I got the car. I wonder if it's related.

I know this is under the car near the front wheel. Will check it out once I get a car jack and other tools.

OlliD - I'll keep you apprised. Getting my car tools this week and plan to do work within a few days or this weekend.

Last edited by Deutschophile; 03-05-2018 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Genuflections to OlliD
Appreciate 1
OlliD28.50
      03-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I will check the undertray and for any loose parts.

The only thing I can think of (longshot) is the TPMS module may be damaged and vibrating against the chassis. I've been getting a "TPMS Inactive" error ever since I got the car. I wonder if it's related.

I know this is under the car near the front wheel. Will check it out once I get a car jack and other tools.

OlliD - I'll keep you apprised. Getting my car tools this week and plan to do work within a few days or this weekend.
On the newer cars (mine is a 2010) the TPMS module is not in the wheel wells. It's behind the passenger wheel behind the splash guard/undertray. Might be this way for all LCIs, but either way they go out frequently no matter which type TPMS you have. It may be the module or you may have a loose assembly inside the wheel. I would have Discount Tire check for free before replacing the TPMS module.
      03-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliD View Post
I have the exact same problem, also starting at the same speed (not rpm related but rahter speed).
Would be corious what your solution is - I am out of ideas for now but this sucks. I might add that I have the feeling that when this sound occours, I can feel it veeery slightly in the pedals, but nowhere else.
Just to give an update for you and OP. I was experiencing a very slight "high frequency/pitch" vibration that I could feel in the steering and pedals. It was only happening at freeway speeds above 70mph so I knew it had to be speed related.

Took my front wheels/tires off to see if the balance was messed up, but they balanced out fine. Did a road force test and found my issue. Both my front wheels had the slightest of bends in them that could only be seen using the road force machine. Fixed the bends and now my problem is entirely gone!
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Quote:
Just to give an update for you and OP. I was experiencing a very slight "high frequency/pitch" vibration that I could feel in the steering and pedals. It was only happening at freeway speeds above 70mph so I knew it had to be speed related.

Took my front wheels/tires off to see if the balance was messed up, but they balanced out fine. Did a road force test and found my issue. Both my front wheels had the slightest of bends in them that could only be seen using the road force machine. Fixed the bends and now my problem is entirely gone!
How did you fix the bends?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedon View Post
How did you fix the bends?
WheelKraft in the Portland area.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #14
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for that.

If I wanted to do the same, what kind of service would I Google? Tire balancing? I looked up road force test and it returned a $8,500 machine - not in the market for that right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #15
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update:

It seems the issue recurs more so when someone is in the passenger seat going between 55 and 60MPH. Additionally, whereas it sounded more sustained weeks ago, it now sounds like the sound is punctuated. It's the same whining/howling type sound but lasts a few seconds at a time.

From my seat, it sounds like it's coming from the dash. My front seat passengers tell me it sounds like it is coming from the rear, possibly wheels.

But what seems to trigger it is extra weight in the car from people being in the passenger seat.

When I drove my passenger to the airport, the noise occurred. When I drove home alone at the same speed, the car didn't reproduce the sound.

Any ideas? I finally got equipment to raise car and look at things, which is nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Video - intermittent whistling sound

Updated with video:

You can hear it pretty well at 0:20.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #17
Deutschophile
Enlisted Member
Rep

I realize this is an old thread, but may be useful for others. Found out what it was...

The previous owner had replaced the windshield. Whoever did it did not set it properly. They threw away the retainer at the base of the windshield when putting the new windshield in, which you aren't supposed to do. This caused the whistling sound when wind would rush through the space where the retainer was supposed to be.

It also caused my passenger side footwell to puddle up with water. Rain was getting into the car because the retainer wasn't there.

After replacing the windshield with a brand new retainer, both problems have vanished.

Glad I got it figured out - Safelite was a big help!
Appreciate 0