E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Service Icon / Brake Pad Check

08-28-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Unhappy Service Icon / Brake Pad Check

After getting home this afternoon from a drive to the coast and back I needed to take the mother in law home (she was sitting the kids).

Anyway started the car and got the icon with the car on the hoist. iDrive told me the front & rear brake pads were caput. Restarted the car several times and got the same warnings. Tried to see if the car was throwing a code with the reader but it was clea.

Anyway decided to drive and no issues with the brakes, no grinding etc that normally indicates your pads have hit the low end of their life. The hand brake wanrning light (the little red one that sits on your dash when the handbrake is engaged) remained on through the drive but the car was pulling up fine and no issues with acceleration (i.e. hand brake was certainly off).

So what life are people getting out of their pads? I do drive in a spirited manner so brake & tyre life I expect to be shorter than normal and higher than average fuel use but I have only done 6200km since new.

Just want to get this sorted out before I have the suspension upgraded to PSS9's & get an exhaust fitted so the warrently police cannot get too excited.

Thanks,

S
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you been out to a track day?

I get over 50,000k out of a front set of rotors on an E46 M3 and have around 35k on the current set of pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Have you been out to a track day?

I get over 50,000k out of a front set of rotors on an E46 M3 and have around 35k on the current set of pads.
No track day's.

I think it is probably some kind of electrical gremlin, will book it into the stealership for them to have a look.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

If I was to beleive the CBS (codition based servicing) on my car then I needed front brake pads 2000 klms ago but the red symbol has not shown up as yet.

Maybe the sensor wire is shorting out against the metal work of the car. You had some panel beating done recently if I recall so maybe something didn't go back right and caused a short.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
If I was to beleive the CBS (codition based servicing) on my car then I needed front brake pads 2000 klms ago but the red symbol has not shown up as yet.

Maybe the sensor wire is shorting out against the metal work of the car. You had some panel beating done recently if I recall so maybe something didn't go back right and caused a short.
Never know.

According to the service tech I spoke with this morning there is a plastic clip on the edge of the brake pads, once this wears to a certain point it closes a circuit that generates the alarm. He thinks there might be something wrong with that system and it is unlikely that the pads are actually worn.

Booked it into the stealership anyway and if nothing more at least the car will get a bath!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Never know.

According to the service tech I spoke with this morning there is a plastic clip on the edge of the brake pads, once this wears to a certain point it closes a circuit that generates the alarm. He thinks there might be something wrong with that system and it is unlikely that the pads are actually worn.

Booked it into the stealership anyway and if nothing more at least the car will get a bath!!
and some scratches... be careful
      08-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Far out... 6000kms is not much at all....ive done 24,000 in my car and have yet another 15000 from memory before they need changing. This no good, best to take it to the stealership and get them to check over.
      08-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Was at Alto's this morning having the door handle fitted (finally). They put it onto the computer & had a quick look at the pads etc and expect it's a sensor due to a small stone or something causing it to screw up.

So Thursday they will have the car and fix it.

Bugger that means 5 days driving as stock
Appreciate 0