E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Errors found in inpa need help decoding them

06-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #1
ee90
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E90 335xi, E39

Errors found in inpa need help decoding them

Attached a pic of errors I got when I checked inpa

Backstory, car randomly gets the half/yellow check engine light I stop the car turn it off and it's gone not a issue at all. The first time it happened the car got louder, I pulled into a parking lot turned it off and turned it back on and no problem at all car was running fine, second time was out of the blue at a traffic light, turn it on and off it's gone. The last time it happened to me was when I floored it from a stop more than usual and the check engine light came on it lost power as well like the turbos were not working. Very bizarre and I don't understand the errors either.

Any help is appreciated, every time I turn the car off and turn it back on it's fine runs completely normal. Car is a 2008 335i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee90 View Post
Attached a pic of errors I got when I checked inpa...
car randomly gets the half/yellow check engine light I stop the car turn it off and it's gone... Car is a 2008 335i
I am NOT familiar with N54, but use INPA on my N52K. I would suggest doing the following:
1) Review attached pdf: "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" for a) HOW to view "Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules", and b) Procedure to SAVE ScreenPrints of INPA Screens; use that procedure to

2) View, Save, attach jpg/png files of ScreenPrints of following INPA Screens:

a) INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules;

b) INPA > DME (Engine | MSD80) > F4 Error Memory > F1 Read Error Memory > F3 Error Memory with Freeze Frame; that will be ~ one screen per Fault Code, and will show Freeze Frame Data, or a "Snapshot" of system conditions & mileage at moment Fault Code was saved, up to Last 3 occurrences of each code.

That information will give us a better idea of "Next Steps". Your photo of screen provided does NOT include the Details for 3100 Code (Boost Pressure Control Shutdown, which is usually the "secondary" result of some other issue), but the other two codes never occurred at the SAME time/ mileage/ km:
2A82: Intake Camshaft, Implausible Position
2F6C: Exhaust Flap Control, Line Break (Open circuit)

Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Fault Info links for those two codes:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...IAMQA4ADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...EAMwA3ADAANAA=

Without knowing the mileage at which 3100 code was saved (Boost Shutdown/ Limp) it is impossible to say if either of other codes (or some other issue, such as BUS Communication fault) caused 3100. ALL THREE faults are intermittent (Fault NOT currently present = Fehler momentan NICHT vorhanden). That is why the additional data is requested.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 14 views)
Appreciate 1
ee9012.50
      06-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #3
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee90 View Post

Any help is appreciated, every time I turn the car off and turn it back on it's fine runs completely normal. Car is a 2008 335i
Follow George's advice - collect the error status from all modules with freeze frame data to complete due diligence.

Since I'm painfully overfamiliar with the N54, I would add the following:

1) As George surmises, 3100 is a secondary code indicating that the DME has shut off boost as a precautionary measure because one or more of its inputs are missing, implausible or out of range.

2) Exhaust flap is irrelevant - it has no effect on engine operation. It's a device to reduce noise at idle or low speeds. Or to accentuate the positive, a device to increase the noise when you wish to impress bystanders.

3) A VANOS problem is entirely consistent with your symptoms and 2A82 is most commonly (but by no means solely) a problematic VANOS solenoid. A very simple diagnostic for the solenoid is simply to swap the exhaust and intake. If the error follows, replace the solenoid. If not, further diagnosis is required.
Appreciate 1
ee9012.50