E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question for those that blow dry their car

05-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #1
don40vette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Question for those that blow dry their car

Im really interested in comments from those that blow dry only. Dont use any towels to dry.

What wax, sealant, hybrid, ceramic etc. works best that when you blow dry your car the water flys off the car.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      06-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have recently gotten serious about detailing my car and just used the blower to dry it today. I usually have to wring out the chamois numerous times but didn't have to but once today. I have a BSM E92 so the scratches and swirls are obvious and have motivated me to start working on them.

I bought the Chemical Guys Torq Orbital Polisher with Scratch and Swirl Remover and orange pads which led me down the rabbit hole. The results were a good start but the Griot's Complete Compound worked better for me. I ordered their BOSS Correcting Creme which should arrive today, I think when used with a yellow pad should get me close. The Complete Compound can be used to polish and I've been using Meguiar's Creme Wax lately. I'm just starting this process and I'm sure that others are more knowledgable on the subject. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and have learned a lot on the subject.
      06-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

I use a BigBoi Blowr MINI for drying. I polished with LVR Ice and coated the car with Ethos Graphene Matrix.
The water just flies off the surface. The only time a towel touches the paint is if i'm applying a quick detailer or refreshing the top layer of my coating.

Any wax, sealant or coating with good hydrophobic properties will make air drying much easier. Preparation is key if you want good results and longevity of the protection. Decon wash, iron remover, mechanical decon with a synthetic clay towel, then you can either apply protection from there or do a paint enhancement to further clean the clearcoat and bring out some gloss. But if you're up for it, go for a full paint correction. Depending on the condition of your clear, do a one step or multi step correction to eliminate (or minimize)scratches/swirl marks and bring out a high gloss before you apply protection.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
don40vette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

My car is a 2009 black car I bought new and has spent it's entire life outside in South Texas weather. In the year 2021 it looks better than 99% of the cars on the road.
About 3 months after I bought the car I gave it a full paint correction and since then I have machined polished several times.
I have coated with Gyeon Syncro and water would fly off the car with my 8HP Metro Master Blaster for the first month.
Coated with Gyeon MOHS, same, first month, pretty good
Gyeon Can Coat, better than the first two with blower and a 1/3 of cost but still only about a month.
P&S BeadMaker, the first two weeks, better than all of those I first listed but then dead.
Wolfgang Uber Ceramic, close to BeadMaker, but not quite.
Wolfgang Fuzion Concours Series Wax, outstanding if blow drying within the first week of appling
Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax, water sticks to car like glue. Horrible for someone using a blower but it does give good gloss
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
I use a BigBoi Blowr MINI for drying. I polished with LVR Ice and coated the car with Ethos Graphene Matrix.
The water just flies off the surface. The only time a towel touches the paint is if i'm applying a quick detailer or refreshing the top layer of my coating.

Any wax, sealant or coating with good hydrophobic properties will make air drying much easier. Preparation is key if you want good results and longevity of the protection. Decon wash, iron remover, mechanical decon with a synthetic clay towel, then you can either apply protection from there or do a paint enhancement to further clean the clearcoat and bring out some gloss. But if you're up for it, go for a full paint correction. Depending on the condition of your clear, do a one step or multi step correction to eliminate (or minimize)scratches/swirl marks and bring out a high gloss before you apply protection.
You like the clay towels/mitts over clay bars? Any particular reason?
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #6
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post

You like the clay towels/mitts over clay bars? Any particular reason?
Faster, reusable and the waffle weave patterns supposedly help keep contaminants away from the surface
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      07-05-2021, 02:25 AM   #7
macloren
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Blow dry and then quick detailer as a drying agent.
Appreciate 0