E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

09-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1079
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm narrowing my mole list down alot faster than I thought I would...JEEZ
      09-05-2008, 04:04 AM   #1080
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
I'm narrowing my mole list down alot faster than I thought I would...JEEZ
RB, I'm getting worried about your mental health. We need you bro! Don't go mad cow on us now!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #1081
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'm just going to chime in here and give my experience with the 29.2.
I was actually very surprised because I've read so much about how bad it sucks.
I drove Slubu's car about a week ago and I felt the lag, but it really wasn't that bad. There was a tad bit of lag, but I was expecting a huge difference.
I offered to give him a ride in mine but he didn't want to feel what he was missing. I honestly don't know if he would have felt much of a difference except for the DPs and more power since I don't have the 29.2 program. But, as far as the lag, I was thinking that mine was just a tad quicker to react.

I really am sympathetic to those who are going through these frustrations but unless some cars are behaving much differently than Slubu's, I'm wondering if some are making a much bigger deal than they should.
Your point is well taken, and I understand what you mean.

With that said--the car does not perform as advertised. Period. That is just the way that it is--and by acknowledging that you could feel the lag, you, like us, can see that there is a definite difference between pre and post 29.2. The difference feels pretty big to me--but that doesn't matter in my opinion. The simple fact is that my car has more lag than yours does. It may not feel like a big deal to you, but it is to me.

Perhaps you would feel differently if you drove the car around day after day....and continued to make payments.....and kept getting the run-around from your dealer and BMWNA....once you add all of this up, it is no longer a small thing. It is a misrepresentation by the company, on the most basic level. And I feel cheated.
      09-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #1082
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
So, I just got off the phone with Dan at BMWNA again....it seems as though it will now be 45-60 days to see my regional tech. And there is no set schedule. And I was told that I would not be allowed to speak to him/her when they were at the dealer.

So I ask--what if the regional tech tells me that there is no problem? He says--well that is basically the end of the line--there is no one else to complain to. When you complain to the dealer--they hook you up to machines which say there is no problem. They take a ride in your car that drives like other cars on the lot. They tell you to contact BMWNA--that is all they can do....on the other end, BMWNA, who I am contracted with, tells me to use my relationship at the dealer to solve the problem....which is hilarious--around and around we go.....

So, meanwhile, as I wait the 45-60 days for the RT to show up, who I can't ride with or talk to in order to explain my complaint in detail, I get to make two more payments on a car that acts fundamentally different than the one I made my purchasing decision on, and the finger-pointing between BMW and my dealer continues....

I tell you what, if this is not cleared up, and it won't be, and they don't take care of me, and they won't, I guess that will be it for my Roundel purchases. I have tried to stay level-headed and let the process play out before feeling this way--but there seems to be no remedy in my future. I keep getting told I am an anomoly with this problem (not that it should matter) and so now they are acting like it is all in my head.

32 months remaining on the lease, and I couldn't be more dissatisfied......
OH MY GOD. I'm frustrated and fired up after just reading that. It absolutely BAFFLES MY FEEBLE MIND that Dan can not ELEVATE any of our calls to someone above him. I'm sorry, but he is not the end-all of our verbal contact at BMW. We need to break through to talk to someone who a) understands anything about cars, b) understands our problem as we describe it, and c) has the power to actually DO SOMETHING instead of running in circles like a g.d. dog trying to bite its tail.

I am also EXTREMELY SICK AND TIRED of the regional tech asshats acting like they are a combination of The Stig and God Himself. Oh no, you can't TALK to the RT. Heavens no, you can't SPEAK to the RT. F THEM.

Well, this email has inspired me to call Dan back YET AGAIN, which I know he will love! I am going to DEMAND a call from The Stig who drove my car. I am also going to demand a response to the letter (attached to supporting documentation of BMW's fraud/bait and switch) which asked for financial compensation if the issue is not addressed immediately.

Obviously I would much rather have my car FIXED than either get money back, or take part in a lawsuit, however, the first remedy is quickly becoming less and less of a realistic outcome. With the several lawyers that people have contacted here, have we not gotten anywhere as far as discussing feasibility of getting the ball rolling with filing a claim?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #1083
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
OH MY GOD. I'm frustrated and fired up after just reading that. It absolutely BAFFLES MY FEEBLE MIND that Dan can not ELEVATE any of our calls to someone above him. I'm sorry, but he is not the end-all of our verbal contact at BMW. We need to break through to talk to someone who a) understands anything about cars, b) understands our problem as we describe it, and c) has the power to actually DO SOMETHING instead of running in circles like a g.d. dog trying to bite its tail.

I am also EXTREMELY SICK AND TIRED of the regional tech asshats acting like they are a combination of The Stig and God Himself. Oh no, you can't TALK to the RT. Heavens no, you can't SPEAK to the RT. F THEM.

Well, this email has inspired me to call Dan back YET AGAIN, which I know he will love! I am going to DEMAND a call from The Stig who drove my car. I am also going to demand a response to the letter (attached to supporting documentation of BMW's fraud/bait and switch) which asked for financial compensation if the issue is not addressed immediately.

Obviously I would much rather have my car FIXED than either get money back, or take part in a lawsuit, however, the first remedy is quickly becoming less and less of a realistic outcome. With the several lawyers that people have contacted here, have we not gotten anywhere as far as discussing feasibility of getting the ball rolling with filing a claim?
I have honestly reached the point where I am just over the whole situation. This is my third BMW--and they have been the most fun and satisfying cars I have ever had. It would be a shame to not own another one....

I agree, that there has to someone above our mutual friend Dan that can hear and actually do something about a customer's complaint. I don't think I should have to pay monthly for a car performing this way, at the very least. It would be nice to have my down payment back as well....but I know we have little chance of that happening....

Dan made every assurance that the dealer, who I have purchased 6 cars from BTW, is making every attempt to solve my problem. It was hard not to laugh.....
      09-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #1084
paltomare
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:

These are my feelings as well. I am waiting for my dealership to get back to me but I suspect the same results as others here. I am pissed off and would love to drive the car right through their f***ing showroom window. I intend to contact an attorney about this to see if we have a case for a class action lawsuit. If others have already contacted lawyers please share any feedback you have gotten.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #1085
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I have honestly reached the point where I am just over the whole situation. This is my third BMW--and they have been the most fun and satisfying cars I have ever had. It would be a shame to not own another one....

I agree, that there has to someone above our mutual friend Dan that can hear and actually do something about a customer's complaint. I don't think I should have to pay monthly for a car performing this way, at the very least. It would be nice to have my down payment back as well....but I know we have little chance of that happening....

Dan made every assurance that the dealer, who I have purchased 6 cars from BTW, is making every attempt to solve my problem. It was hard not to laugh.....

I feel exacly the same way. That Is why I have decided to sell the car if V31 does'nt fix it. I honestly am sick of beeing frustrated while bmw continues business as usual.

I will most likely take a financial hit selling so soon but at least I know what a big pile of sh** bmw is and will sleep better with another car in my garage.
Also I have now managed to get 2 potential buyers to not buy a bmw, once again it was very easy.. just let them drive my car for 10 mins.

oh, during my 10 years of having a driving licence, I have purchased 6 bmw's. This is the last one.

/P
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #1086
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would love to sell mine too, if V31 or something else doesn't fix it within the next couple of months. But, that would be very annoying for a few reasons...
a) I ordered this car to spec and waited 4 months for it. It would be a shame to have that waiting be for nothing.
b) I've put a lot of time/effort/money into making it "mine" with all the little stuff like the aero kit, spoiler, reflector deletes, wired in detector, etc etc. All the little stuff that I enjoyed doing would be gone and wasted.
c) Mainly - the depreciation hit. As you alluded to above, the hit on resale at this point would be stomach turning. As far as I know, selling a car 1-2 years after purchase is pretty much the worst hit you can take.
and d) because of C, I probably wouldn't have enough money to buy either a C63, S5, or RS4, which are the only things I would want to replace this car with, in the same "price region".

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #1087
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Has anyone actually contacted a reputable attorney specializing in these sort of matters? I see you guys bitchin about BMWNA/dealers/Dan etc., but really, that hasn't and isn't likely to get you anywhere. $$ talks and unless they realize there is a credible threat of legal action, they won't care about (what they deem to be) rants from a select few on some random car forum. There is an immaterial financial impact from all these complaints to date and $ is all the co. really cares about.

Only 3 things can possibly get things moving for you guys: govt. agency (highly unlikely), press (doesn't seem like there's any movement on that), threat of/actual credible legal action (easier w/more impact).

A similar thing happened on the Maxima boards a couple years ago when ppl found out the actual HP was lower than advertised. Dozens of members bitched, complained etc., but no one was willing to give their car to get a dyno (at the crank) done. An attorney was involved, but it went no where b/c ppl weren't willing to go ahead w/the actions it takes to back up their complaints.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #1088
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep

ezat, I understand your point completly, however I would definitely buy a car that is'nt all about performance just to get rid this feeling I now have of beeing sodomized by bmw..

I will most likely buy an Audi 2.0T, dunno if they're availible in US but its a decent engine in a good looking car that does'nt ruin you.

The financial hit is something I personally am willing to take eaven if a spent my last dime on the bloody thing. wich I did, thus the above mentioned feeling.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #1089
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltomare View Post
These are my feelings as well. I am waiting for my dealership to get back to me but I suspect the same results as others here. I am pissed off and would love to drive the car right through their f***ing showroom window. I intend to contact an attorney about this to see if we have a case for a class action lawsuit. If others have already contacted lawyers please share any feedback you have gotten.
I'm very tempted to run with this case. But it involves going against Goliath, fronting a lot of money, potentially years of litigation, etc. And before you even file suit, there needs to be a lot of legwork done. The biggest impediment is proving the change in lag. Trust me, I understand that it feels entirely different, but legally speaking it is much easier to be successful if you have hard proof.

I have spent more than a few hours researching bases for bringing suit. There are some. There are also potential ways BMW can escape liability. But if you guys are serious, I would need a several things. To start, stock versions of a pre 29.2 car and post 29.2 car. I'll stop there, considering BMW ironically monitors all this.

Also, end result will be some sort of reduced monetary compensation. It will almost be impossible to "force" BMW to rectify this. That said, I'm meeting my friend today for lunch (also an attorney).

I could go on and on, but will stop here for now. Suffice to say I've looked into this, it is possible and there are viable grounds, but the road to get there is hard, long and expensive.
      09-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #1090
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

It's Sept 5th and v31 should be released today.

Do we have anybody on the forum from Germany who is planning to get it installed. I am really really hoping that the v31 will fix our issue.

Spoke to BMW SA in Orlando, their reponse is "Oh really, we never heard of this issue". He wanted to setup an appointment so that they can look into it. But I know their response. I would like to wait till v31 is out and then see if that fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #1091
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Maybe it would help if we really harnessed the power of the people on this forum. We have thousands of members that could contact hundreds of dealerships. Then the problem would get the attention it deserves, much like what happened with the HDP (HPFP) issue.

My problem is that I have a hard time determining precisely what the changes are. I think my comparison of pre- and post- 29.2 might not be fair because I think I may have had a ringer tune initially.

I do not see how v.31 can solve the problems -- there is an unavoidable conflict between the wastegate stress and low rpm boost. The ideal solution is a recall where our turbos get replaced with the updated version, and we get a hot tune back. But that would be so expensive for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #1092
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

Comcast lost this case ...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...hrottling.html
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #1093
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:

With that said--the car does not perform as advertised. Period. That is just the way that it is--and by acknowledging that you could feel the lag, you, like us, can see that there is a definite difference between pre and post 29.2. The difference feels pretty big to me--but that doesn't matter in my opinion. The simple fact is that my car has more lag than yours does. It may not feel like a big deal to you, but it is to me.

Perhaps you would feel differently if you drove the car around day after day....and continued to make payments.....and kept getting the run-around from your dealer and BMWNA....once you add all of this up, it is no longer a small thing. It is a misrepresentation by the company, on the most basic level. And I feel cheated.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #1094
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

Quote:

I've been trying to find a pre-29.2 6MT, or even any car that supposedly has no lag, to compare to mine. If I can get the two of them side by side, at a dealer, on video tape, and/or with some kind of boost test, I'll go to town with the info. Screw a class action suit, I'd just file an individual suit and hope that it sets a precedent. But I am not wasting my money on a lawyer when all I have to go on is, "I know it was different before."

I need the evidence. Unfortunately, pre-29.2 6MT's are becoming a dying breed.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #1095
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I've been trying to find a pre-29.2 6MT, or even any car that supposedly has no lag, to compare to mine. If I can get the two of them side by side, at a dealer, on video tape, and/or with some kind of boost test, I'll go to town with the info. Screw a class action suit, I'd just file an individual suit and hope that it sets a precedent. But I am not wasting my money on a lawyer when all I have to go on is, "I know it was different before."

I wonder if Meyergru could help us out there (are you a 6MT meyer? I forget). I imagine it is MUCH easier for a pre 29.2'er to find a post 29.2'er than the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #1096
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munu View Post
It's Sept 5th and v31 should be released today.

Do we have anybody on the forum from Germany who is planning to get it installed. I am really really hoping that the v31 will fix our issue.

Spoke to BMW SA in Orlando, their reponse is "Oh really, we never heard of this issue". He wanted to setup an appointment so that they can look into it. But I know their response. I would like to wait till v31 is out and then see if that fixes the issue.
munu,

I think meyergru is the only Germanic one in the thread, and he is both away for weeks, and already has 27.4 reinstalled so is in no rush to go farking around with things.

Our next-in-line "person of hope and destiny" is Pavel, I believe. Since it's realeased in the rest of Euro on the 9th.... Pavel, sorry if i'm wrong and making an assumption here.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #1097
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Believe me guys when I say that I feel for you. I just wanted to post my experiences with the 29.2 car that I drove.
If Slubu's car acted a bit different and more responsive than the rest then I could understand even more about the frustrations that you guys are going through.
I really hope you get some action so that by the time I get cursed with the imfamous program, it will be all squared away.
Until then, I'll be driving around with my dark ages 25.2 version.

Quote:

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #1098
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I may have one, see my previous post.
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #1099
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
I wonder if Meyergru could help us out there (are you a 6MT meyer? I forget). I imagine it is MUCH easier for a pre 29.2'er to find a post 29.2'er than the other way around.
I have a step. But as I already said, I am not in town for the next 3 weeks. There seem to be few people here in Germany that complain about this problem (at least in the internet forums), no one near me to be more specific.

If BMW tells me that the problem is solved by v31, I will try that, but I bet one of you guys will report the outcome of that way more early.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #1100
Kruz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Page 49 and to be honest Ive read only 20 some pages....can someone please summarize which 335is are affected here?

I have a July 07 6MT production and I believe my Idrive main screen is brown. I was in for an oil change a few weeks back and insisted they did not reprogram anything since everthing is working fine and I do not believe I have lag. When running through the gearbox and not powershiting, the acceleration is smooth and linear. I hear the turbos whistling from about 1500rpms as well.

The 08 335xi coupe (step) loaner they gave me though may have had the lag. It did not have Idrive, but when floored (button pushed under throttle) it REALLY seemed to push me back all of a sudden over 3,000 rpms. This was either lag or the auto downshifting 2 gears much faster than I can or want to do manually. I noticed the tach sweep really fast to redline. I also noticed the loaner had a slightly meaner growl from the exhaust.

Do these conditions point to my car not having 29.2 and the loaner having it?

My car
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0