E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 100k+ E90 Paint Condition

07-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
TylerDR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90-328xi, 2001 E46-330xi

100k+ E90 Paint Condition

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get a few comparison shots with the condition of your guys clear coat/paint after 100k. This is something that’s more up my alley but any tips or info on how these factory paint jobs hold up over time would be much appreciated. I’ve attached a couple of mine.

I’m curious because on the driver and passenger side it almost feels like overspray or body work that’s been repainted. Either that or after 150k the coat is just showing it’s age, so if anyone has experienced the same thing let me know. You can’t really tell by just looking at it but if you run your hand along side it the texture is different.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDR View Post
Hi Guys,

I was hoping to get a few comparison shots with the condition of your guys clear coat/paint after 100k. This is something that's more up my alley but any tips or info on how these factory paint jobs hold up over time would be much appreciated. I've attached a couple of mine.

I'm curious because on the driver and passenger side it almost feels like overspray or body work that's been repainted. Either that or after 150k the coat is just showing it's age, so if anyone has experienced the same thing let me know. You can't really tell by just looking at it but if you run your hand along side it the texture is different.
My car is at 117,00 miles. I have a 2009 jet black 3 series that I purchased in 2009 CPO. The paint is far from perfect and this is not for a lack of trying. I'm not an expert but I feel like the paint/clear coat has softened with time. Excuse my terminology if it's not correct. I feel like my car is more easily prone to swirl marks and scratches no matter how I baby it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

There are lots of tell-tale signs that a car has been painted. It’s not uncommon or, IMO, a big issue unless it’s obvious in the daylight. Get the car under some fluorescent lights and you’ll be able to see a lot more of the issues.

A good way to extend the life of paint is give a good polish (cut if necessary) then seal the paint with a ceramic coating. It takes a while to polish, but it helps the sealant last a lot longer and the added UV protection of the ceramic coating is a nice bonus.

Unfortunately, if the car has sat outside for 150k+ miles with not much in the way of care taking clears will fail and there’s not much to do than repaint at that point.

Polishing the whole car will help with the uniformity of the feel of the paint. If not that, then cut compound is the next step.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
RealJ22
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 CT200h Cayman Boxster RC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My E90 is alpine white so the paint never looks too bad.

If I could see the vehicle in person, I could tell you if it has been painted. If you are really worried, I would use a paint depth gauge.

Usually you will be fine with a minor cut / polish. Make sure to use a DA / Random if you do not have experience. Wrong move with a rotary and you can burn the paint.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The paint on my car prevents the otherwise exposed steel from rusting; it works great.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Delta03117477.50
Thorin117.50
      07-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
TylerDR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90-328xi, 2001 E46-330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJ22 View Post
My E90 is alpine white so the paint never looks too bad.

If I could see the vehicle in person, I could tell you if it has been painted. If you are really worried, I would use a paint depth gauge.

Usually you will be fine with a minor cut / polish. Make sure to use a DA / Random if you do not have experience. Wrong move with a rotary and you can burn the paint.

Good luck!
Yeah totally agree with everyone above. I’m actually decent with a machine buffer. If you’ve ever worked in a detail shop there’s always one guy who’s great at it and he ends up doing a lot of the work. That wasn’t me but I’ve done a good bit of it. Whenever you pick up a darker car unless the person REALLY cared for it it’s going to be very swirled. Touch car washes which is what the majority of people use are always the culprit. Never, ever, use a touch car wash.

That was the case when I picked it up and believe me I know how crazy the difference is after you machine compound and buff. I no longer have a machine buffer, that’s the primary reason I haven’t taken that step. My question was as far as the clear coat goes what’s typical after 150k+ with E90’s? I clayed it a couple times so it’s not overspray. It’s just really odd that the sides of the car seem worn but not the hood, trunk, or roof. The areas that would typically show age first.

In the direct sunlight though, this thing is swirled beyond belief. I kind of envy owners of white/silver cars.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #7
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Yeah, aging on the sides vs top is very odd and a sign something has likely been done.

I’d say the e90 paint is pretty above average quality for BMW. But cars in high sun exposure are starting to have issues 13+ years on...

My blue water metallic 09 still looks pretty good but the hood and roof looking more worn than the rest... a good polish may take care of it. Not sure yet tho

But this car is basically silver - my first non black car besides one red. Man, silver is so, so so easy. Dunno if I’ll go back to anything else to be honest. Maybe white
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
asaeljethro
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Wagon

From my understandng the older BMWs such as e46s and older have had better paint quality than the e90 and newer
Appreciate 0