E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Essential mods to make n54 track ready

01-14-2024, 01:47 PM   #1
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Essential mods to make n54 track ready

Hey guys ,

Looking to track my single turbo n54, got most mods already done just wanted to ask you track guys if you guys noticed that these cars really need a specific set of mods to make the car track ready? I’m slightly worried about my suspension set up, it’s bilstien b8s all around with dinan lowering springs , eibach front and rear sways , and I’m doing the rear subframe bushings to solid aluminum in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you guys have found anything that really is a weak point that I should do before getting the track this spring (I have also street/ track brakes with ss lines and apex wheels wrapped in federal 595 rs-pro tires) !

Thanks in advanced !
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:30 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

I used B8s and Dinan D100s with the rest of the suspension stock, worked well. The weak point was cooling. I had to install an oil cooler and a bigger radiator to keep up.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
I used B8s and Dinan D100s with the rest of the suspension stock, worked well. The weak point was cooling. I had to install an oil cooler and a bigger radiator to keep up.
Hey thank you for the reply! Did you have the oem oil cooler? Then found that wasn’t enough cooling or did you not have one at all?

I also have the option through mhd to use the track cooling option I use the sport and does extremely well on the street , also have the mosselman thermostat for the oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 03:27 PM   #4
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

n54 produces a ton of heat, cooling and more cooling otherwise it youre gonna back off it frequently on track. imo in order

brakes/pads
iat-wmi required
coolant upgrade/additional capacity
oil cooler upgrade/additional capacity

suspension
rsfb and diff mount
front monoballs
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251660.50
      01-15-2024, 08:43 AM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335boston View Post
Hey thank you for the reply! Did you have the oem oil cooler? Then found that wasn’t enough cooling or did you not have one at all?

I also have the option through mhd to use the track cooling option I use the sport and does extremely well on the street , also have the mosselman thermostat for the oil.
The car originally had no oil cooler. I retrofitted the OEM sport intercooler, which was quite a project, lots of parts to shop for. If I understand your reply correctly, you have that already? It did the job on the track for me.

If I had continued tracking, upgraded brakes would have been essential.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
The car originally had no oil cooler. I retrofitted the OEM sport intercooler, which was quite a project, lots of parts to shop for. If I understand your reply correctly, you have that already? It did the job on the track for me.

If I had continued tracking, upgraded brakes would have been essential.
Yes thankfully my came stock with the oem oil cooler ! Happy to hear it was up to the task on the track , I also upgraded to the 335is air ducts so that the fog lights are deleted and there’s more air getting to it
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #7
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

CSF radiator, big FMIC and a good oil cooler. Don't worry about your suspension, I assume if you're asking (that's not a bad thing) you're fairly new and even a stock car is more capable than a beginner is capable of pushing it, cooling aside. FWIW I have solid aluminum subframe bushings and wish I'd never done it.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
CSF radiator, big FMIC and a good oil cooler. FWIW I have solid aluminum subframe bushings and wish I'd never done it.
Hey! Why the regret on subframe bushings? I herd they are a great upgrade ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:00 PM   #9
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey! Why the regret on subframe bushings? I herd they are a great upgrade ?
It's a majorly overkill solution to a problem that barely exists. Even at 475whp on full e85, I just had a little squirm at WOT, nothing major at all. A set of whiteline inserts for $100 or less would've completely solved this without reinventing the wheel. It tracks more straight now, but at the expense of a ton more shock and little vibrations being transferred into the cabin. That's also a LOT of force being applied directly to the chassis which I can't imagine will be good for it over time. M3 or polyurethane if you feel the need to upgrade, but honestly, .

I got talked into it by everyone saying it's a "must have" or "the car should've come this way from the factory" or "it's almost unsafe how bad it is stock" and it's simply not the case. I'd go back to stock in a heartbeat, though M3 or poly ,ay be the best of all worlds.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2024, 01:12 PM   #10
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
It's a majorly overkill solution to a problem that barely exists. Even at 475whp on full e85, I just had a little squirm at WOT, nothing major at all. A set of whiteline inserts for $100 or less would've completely solved this without reinventing the wheel. It tracks more straight now, but at the expense of a ton more shock and little vibrations being transferred into the cabin. That's also a LOT of force being applied directly to the chassis which I can't imagine will be good for it over time. M3 or polyurethane if you feel the need to upgrade, but honestly, .

I got talked into it by everyone saying it's a "must have" or "the car should've come this way from the factory" or "it's almost unsafe how bad it is stock" and it's simply not the case. I'd go back to stock in a heartbeat, though M3 or poly ,ay be the best of all worlds.
Interesting points , I went and bought the turner solid aluminum like you after reading up and I also had a couple chat with turner about it as well. They told me will have some more noise but not thing to harsh more so on hitting bumps it’s going to be less forgiving. With my single kit my end rear end wonders on a full throttle pull, for example 3rd gear pull on the highway I have to try to and stop it from going into either lane which is why I went with them . I’m hoping the NVH won’t be too insane.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 03:05 PM   #11
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting points , I went and bought the turner solid aluminum like you after reading up and I also had a couple chat with turner about it as well. They told me will have some more noise but not thing to harsh more so on hitting bumps it’s going to be less forgiving. With my single kit my end rear end wonders on a full throttle pull, for example 3rd gear pull on the highway I have to try to and stop it from going into either lane which is why I went with them . I’m hoping the NVH won’t be too insane.
IMO it's not a good idea on a street car as it's completely unnecessary but it won't be race car harsh or anything. Hopefully you enjoy them more than I do!
Appreciate 0