E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $3AH Backup Camera + Top View Camera Retrofit Development Thread

10-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
My module came in today and it will not read or write in NCSexpert. I will play around with it a bit but my hopes are not high for this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Can you see it with Tool32? I believe the job is trsvc_01.prg

If it's connected to Kcan1, I believe you should be able to see it. I'm curious if you can see it, and what errors you get.

I have a trsvc installed, and working but it's from an F10. I have a retrofitted NBT/EVO so I have an adapter that provides a Kcan2 bus. The trsvc is on the Kcan1 bus, and requires a PDC module to function. I have a PDC module from an F10, and it's on the Kcan2 bus. I don't know if the E90 PDC module sends out the same message id's as the E70.

The trsvc I have, even being from an F10 works on the Kcan1 bus, so I think a module from a E70 should work, provided you have a PDC module (I don't know if it has to be from an E70 or not).

I don't know about NCSExpert, but in E-sys you can only see ECU's that were available to the FA that is loaded. I know that when you use NCSEpert it creates a FA file in the working directory, it might be using this to know what ECU's it should be accessible. You might be able to read the trsvc if you have a FA file from an E70 with 3AH when you try to read it. I would mess around with the FA in that folder to see if it allows you to read different ECU's.

I'm curious if you get this working. I know the sideview and topview camera would work with my trsvc, but I don't have plans to install them. The sideview would be pretty easy to install in the front fenders, but I'm not sure they are worth the effort. I would like to install the topview camera's but I don't know if F30 mirrors mount the same as E90 mirrors, and I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a test.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
Nickco431457.50
      10-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #25
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post

If it's connected to Kcan1, I believe you should be able to see it. I'm curious if you can see it, and what errors you get.

I have a trsvc installed, and working but it's from an F10. I have a retrofitted NBT/EVO so I have an adapter that provides a Kcan2 bus. The trsvc is on the Kcan1 bus, and requires a PDC module to function. I have a PDC module from an F10, and it's on the Kcan2 bus. I don't know if the E90 PDC module sends out the same message id's as the E70.

The trsvc I have, even being from an F10 works on the Kcan1 bus, so I think a module from a E70 should work, provided you have a PDC module (I don't know if it has to be from an E70 or not).

I don't know about NCSExpert, but in E-sys you can only see ECU's that were available to the FA that is loaded. I know that when you use NCSEpert it creates a FA file in the working directory, it might be using this to know what ECU's it should be accessible. You might be able to read the trsvc if you have a FA file from an E70 with 3AH when you try to read it. I would mess around with the FA in that folder to see if it allows you to read different ECU's.

I'm curious if you get this working. I know the sideview and topview camera would work with my trsvc, but I don't have plans to install them. The sideview would be pretty easy to install in the front fenders, but I'm not sure they are worth the effort. I would like to install the topview camera's but I don't know if F30 mirrors mount the same as E90 mirrors, and I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a test.
I am grabbing a E70 FA file now. If this works I will buy a F30 mirror on eBay with free returns.
Attached Images

Last edited by Nickco43; 10-16-2018 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 07:54 PM   #26
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Rip this retrofit, I need a new jbe and pdc. I am going to look around for a quality china solution.

Last edited by Nickco43; 10-16-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #27
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post

I am grabbing a E70 FA file now. If this works I will buy a F30 mirror on eBay with free returns.
Is This the same as using an ssd file?
      10-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #28
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Rip this retrofit, I need a new jbe and pdc. I am going to look around for a quality china solution.

Not jbe AND pdc - jbe OR pdc. Some models have the PDC module integrated with the jbe, others have a separate PDC module.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Sorry to revive an old thread but its pertinent to a job I'm doing on my E91.
I've already sourced and fitted an F31 trunk handle with camera. I did have to enlarge the aperture in the boot lid (trunk lid) to get it fitted.
I've routed the HSD cable through into the car and have my TRSVC hooked up and powered up and sitting on KCAN.

Its a second hand TRSVC with 3 inputs (for top view)
from an F series car. I can communicate with the TRSVC diagnostically using non bmw specific equipment so I know its alive.

I've coded 3AG in CAS and NFRM and wired to FBAS in CIC. Pins 18 27 28. Problem is nothing has changed in my CIC display when parking is active. I still only have the graphical display of front and rear sensors. No park menu, no room for camera video.

Playing with coding in NCSexpert, I've enabled park menu, rotated PDC display to vertikal, changed between wert 21 & 23 values but nothing makes any changes, except park menu when that is aktiv I lose all parking display completely. There is still audio but no display at all.
I could try VO coding 3AH (top view) as I'm using a top view enabled TRSVC.

Is it normal for the display to only change to show video when there is an active input on FBAS?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Andystobbs; 11-30-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #30
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but its pertinent to a job I'm doing on my E91.
I've already sourced and fitted an F31 trunk handle with camera. I did have to enlarge the aperture in the boot lid (trunk lid) to get it fitted.
I've routed the HSD cable through into the car and have my TRSVC hooked up and powered up and sitting on KCAN.

Its a second hand TRSVC with 3 inputs (for top view)
from an F series car. I can communicate with the TRSVC diagnostically using non bmw specific equipment so I know its alive.

I've coded 3AG in CAS and NFRM and wired to FBAS in CIC. Pins 18 27 28. Problem is nothing has changed in my CIC display when parking is active. I still only have the graphical display of front and rear sensors. No park menu, no room for camera video.

Playing with coding in NCSexpert, I've enabled park menu, rotated PDC display to vertikal, changed between wert 21 & 23 values but nothing makes any changes, except park menu when that is aktiv I lose all parking display completely. There is still audio but no display at all.
I could try VO coding 3AH (top view) as I'm using a top view enabled TRSVC.

Is it normal for the display to only change to show video when there is an active input on FBAS?

Thanks for any help.
I think if you have K-Can 2 with a NBT Evo retrofit the TRSVC surround view will work just fine. It would be about $1,000 for me to put a full surround camera system in my car. I do not think it is worth the cost.

With a CIC I would try using the camera gear our of a X1 as it is just a lifted E90. It has K-Can 1 like the E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #31
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Thanks. I'm not really interested in top or surround view. Its only the RVC I'm after. I only got TRSVC with top view input because it was cheaper on ebay. I have a horrible feeling that the X1 camera module is different but I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #32
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

What actually differs between KCAN and KCAN2?
Are we saying that the F series (with NBT) has two parallel KCAN networks or that KCAN2 is a revision of KCAN(1) with different architecture?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #33
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

I see now that KCAN and KCAN2 run in parallel from gateway module. KCAN2 going to JB module. Need to do some more thinking.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #34
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

So it turns out my TRSVC by pure accident and luck has come from an E70 rather than an Fxx so hopefully that's going to make it slightly more compatible.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #35
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #36
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Got it working today. A chance conversation with a guy who is also doing the same project revealed that an E84 PDC is an absolute neccessity as it is the PDC module that sends the CAN message to turn on the RVC image in the CIC, and possibly also the TRSVC. I had been mistakenly thinking that this would be the job of the TRSVC.
Anyway I bought a used E84 PDC module (I have front and rear sensors, which made it quite a rare module compared to rear only, but ebay delivered).
Initially the E84 module as delivered did nothing but using an SSD file I was able to default code it and suddenly everything was working.
I still cannot access the TRSVC with NCS, I'd like to go in and change some things to better set up the physical location of the camera on the car but that can wait for a bit more time.
So I have the moving guidlines, brightness and contrast control, object marking and trailer hitch zoom all working perfectly (bar it being slightly off due to camera positioning as above).
Pretty chuffed with that.
Maybe one day I'll look at the top view side of things if I run out of other things to spend time and money on, just to see if its can be done.

I owe a lot of the credit to Adrian who saved me a LOT of time in trying to work out how its meant to function for myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #37
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Got it working today. A chance conversation with a guy who is also doing the same project revealed that an E84 PDC is an absolute neccessity as it is the PDC module that sends the CAN message to turn on the RVC image in the CIC, and possibly also the TRSVC. I had been mistakenly thinking that this would be the job of the TRSVC.
Anyway I bought a used E84 PDC module (I have front and rear sensors, which made it quite a rare module compared to rear only, but ebay delivered).
Initially the E84 module as delivered did nothing but using an SSD file I was able to default code it and suddenly everything was working.
I still cannot access the TRSVC with NCS, I'd like to go in and change some things to better set up the physical location of the camera on the car but that can wait for a bit more time.
So I have the moving guidlines, brightness and contrast control, object marking and trailer hitch zoom all working perfectly (bar it being slightly off due to camera positioning as above).
Pretty chuffed with that.
Maybe one day I'll look at the top view side of things if I run out of other things to spend time and money on, just to see if its can be done.

I owe a lot of the credit to Adrian who saved me a LOT of time in trying to work out how its meant to function for myself.
I am going back to CIC to sell my car. I might pop in a E84 TRSVC. Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:28 AM   #38
Superwofy
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 0475

Thanks for the shoutout Andy

Some more info for everybody:
  • The reason you need an E84 PDC module (or conversion) is because it sends additional CAN messages on KCAN telling TRSVC that reverse is engaged and to start broadcasting. There's a bit more to it than this but essentially the E84 0pa contains additional subroutines.
  • Any E-series TRSVC will work. E70 or E84. Only caveat with E70 is that you'll get error codes stored on TRSVC for missing cameras. You'll only see these during diagnosis. I tried flashing to the E84 ZB and it goes fine but makes no difference - must be in the bootloader or something..
  • I have created daten files that will allow you to code the module natively in your E9X. I copied all parameters from PDC87.C05 and merged them with the few new ones in PDC84.C15. I also adjusted E89SGVT so that it can detect coding index 15 outside of the E84.
  • There won't be any conflicts even if you try to code an actual E84.
  • You also need to code parameter MACRO_L6_PARKMENU or you won't get MACRO pdc working (the red/yellow/green waves).
  • To see TRSVC in NCS add $3AG to the FA.

https://github.com/AdrianBude/E84-PDC-E89X

P.S for other crazy people out there, it is possible to swap the 2L86D chip with a new 1L59W and flash it via BDM with Xprog (i.e convert a non E84 module). I destroyed a total of 3 chips trying so there's that...

Last edited by Superwofy; 01-23-2020 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 3
Nickco431457.50
feuer4275.50
      02-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #39
Dubstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E81

Garage List
2015 F31 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwofy View Post
Thanks for the shoutout Andy

Some more info for everybody:
  • The reason you need an E84 PDC module (or conversion) is because it sends additional CAN messages on KCAN telling TRSVC that reverse is engaged and to start broadcasting. There's a bit more to it than this but essentially the E84 0pa contains additional subroutines.
  • Any E-series TRSVC will work. E70 or E84. Only caveat with E70 is that you'll get error codes stored on TRSVC for missing cameras. You'll only see these during diagnosis. I tried flashing to the E84 ZB and it goes fine but makes no difference - must be in the bootloader or something..
  • I have created daten files that will allow you to code the module natively in your E9X. I copied all parameters from PDC87.C05 and merged them with the few new ones in PDC84.C15. I also adjusted E89SGVT so that it can detect coding index 15 outside of the E84.
  • There won't be any conflicts even if you try to code an actual E84.
  • You also need to code parameter MACRO_L6_PARKMENU or you won't get MACRO pdc working (the red/yellow/green waves).
  • To see TRSVC in NCS add $3AG to the FA.

https://github.com/AdrianBude/E84-PDC-E89X

P.S for other crazy people out there, it is possible to swap the 2L86D chip with a new 1L59W and flash it via BDM with Xprog (i.e convert a non E84 module). I destroyed a total of 3 chips trying so there's that...
Hi Superwofy,

I did the Backup Camera retrofit. I used a TRSVC Module from an E70 (cheap on Ebay) and a PDC Module from E84. With your files i can code PDC. All is working but i can‘t code the TRSVC to code Trailer-Mode and adjust the green steering lines.
Is it possible that you can make/merge some files that i can Access the TRSVC module with NCS. Tool32 say everytime IFH-0009.

Thanks for all the infos

Me Car:
E81 03/2007

Sorry for my english, i‘m from Germany
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #40
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Help

Hi i have an e82 1m coupe with cic 2012. I bought a kit from bimmer retrofit (but i dont recommend that) i got an enbt emulator and was able to retrofit the nbt evo id6 to my car. Nbt evo already pre coded for backup camera. I bought a trsvc from e70 with the side and top view. I found a coder and he helped me code my car. Was able to add $3ag and coded the pdc however he said he cant code or communicate with trsvc module. If u use ista i can see the trsvc module is yellow and the fault code is because or the side and top camera being empty (no plugged camera for those two).

Anyways it not working when i put it to reverse, to make it work i only need an e84 pdc? Do u have part numbers because on ebay they are selling e84 to e93 hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #41
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Go to CIC FSW replace this MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING to AKTIV

And try! Report Back please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
Hi Superwofy,

I did the Backup Camera retrofit. I used a TRSVC Module from an E70 (cheap on Ebay) and a PDC Module from E84. With your files i can code PDC. All is working but i can‘t code the TRSVC to code Trailer-Mode and adjust the green steering lines.
Is it possible that you can make/merge some files that i can Access the TRSVC module with NCS. Tool32 say everytime IFH-0009.

Thanks for all the infos

Me Car:
E81 03/2007

Sorry for my english, i‘m from Germany
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #42
Luka117
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 2012

I just pull some parts from x1 e84.
I have trsvc module and pdc with front and rear option.

Can I somehow connect my Chinese RCA camera to trsvc module?

I already retrofitted pdc in my e92 2012 and I'm using emulator for
Rear view camera.

I will install new pdc from e84 and would like also to install trsvc.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #43
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka117 View Post
I just pull some parts from x1 e84.
I have trsvc module and pdc with front and rear option.

Can I somehow connect my Chinese RCA camera to trsvc module?

I already retrofitted pdc in my e92 2012 and I'm using emulator for
Rear view camera.

I will install new pdc from e84 and would like also to install trsvc.
If you have most of the OEM bits then cut up the trunk handle and put in the OEM camera.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:42 AM   #44
Dubstar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E81

Garage List
2015 F31 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Go to CIC FSW replace this MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING to AKTIV

And try! Report Back please!
That‘s it! Thank you!!

I got it completly working in my E81, also the steering lines are ok!
I can trust this lines, without hitting something!

I calibrated the Camera with INPA, with ISTA it didn‘t worked..

https://www.imageupload.net/image/3d9jg

Last edited by Dubstar; 04-25-2020 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
SaNGRia984.50
feuer4275.50