E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight wasn't leveling - Fixed!

10-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #89
snayko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

I had the problem with not moving the driver's headlamp. I did many things: coding, also I took it off and was checking if it's out of alignment , went to the dealer and nothing.
Yesterday I tried again to do reset with ncs expert and magic, first time I've seen how both lamps moving, but not as I supposed.
Not satisfied how left lamp is moving while I turn to the left. Can somebody show or give me a link where I can see how it should work: turning left , right, uphill and downhill for 3 series 2006( I suppose newer headlamps works better than older)
?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #90
93civEJ1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 01 Z06

I didnt read all of the thread so forgive me if this has been answered. I am new to my 07 335i. I know at start up sometimes I see my headlights go up and down ...how can I make sure all is working properly? How can i test the up down and cornering movement? I had no idea there was a side to side self adjustment they do. Ive not noticed anything on mine do that.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #91
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

You should see movement when the headlights first fire up and the car starts, assuming you have the headlight switch in the auto position. They move up and down during start up, but will not move left to right. You can easily spot the left to right movement at night, for example if I am driving down the street at night going 5 - 10 mph and move the wheel you'll see the lights track with the wheel movement. It's not a TON of movement; the thing isn't going to suddenly flip 90 degrees to the side, but you can definitely see the movement.
      12-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #92
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Same thing is happening to my car but it only gets out of sync sometimes... i just level it and it's good for another 2 weeks or so.

Great post though wish i was capable enough to remove the bumper and headlight haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #93
mickyboy1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

ivw just read every post on this great thread. I seem to have a slightly different issue and I hope someone can help. both my xenons are points low. if I switch to auto I can hear the motors trying (two separate motor sounds) but nothing happens. the car has recently been into a workshop so has been jacked up.

it seems strange the car was fine before any work was carried out on the exhaust.

for both adjusted to pop out seems unlucky but possible.

can I confirm the small arm on the real left is the up/down level? and if I pop the arm off could I move the arm by hand to see the lights move up and down.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #94
mickyboy1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

ok so I took my left wheel off and had a look behine the wheel cover. removed the access panel and could see the motor. i gave the motor a wiggle and i could see the frame around the zenon moving so i was confused as it looked connected. i unplugged the motor wire on the left side to try to remove the motor but it was very tight. so plugged it back in.

i now have movement

but still not enough upward

i have plugged all back in and got car level. this is the vid of whats happening.

sounds like the motor slipping on the threads on t low sweep.

sorry for you tube link but unsure how to put vids on here.

any ideas on how to set the correct start point on the motors?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #95
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

Hi,
I have this AHL bi-xenon headlight on my E91 LCI 2011:

http://s21.postimg.org/cfqbalyhj/201...1_18_59_54.jpg

I have a problem on lens/bulb loosing in headlight:

you know what I have to do to remove loose of lens/bulb and solve problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #96
sliverworm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1981 View Post
Hi,
I have this AHL bi-xenon headlight on my E91 LCI 2011:

http://s21.postimg.org/cfqbalyhj/201...1_18_59_54.jpg

I have a problem on lens/bulb loosing in headlight:

you know what I have to do to remove loose of lens/bulb and solve problem?

I'm in the same boat, my drivers headlight is pointing down and to the left.. passenger side is fine. I have a feeling the ball joint popped off, but I can't figure out which piece is the ball joint in the headlight housing so I can try to pull it back in place.. I also have a feeling the headlight housing is loose from the factory since mine is the same way and there are many other complaints.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #97
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

xeno bulb housing isn't the problem, the real problem seem to be the attachment of xeno lens in front of headlight, see in my video the right xeno:

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #98
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Hi Pilot - Refer to my pictures in the first post; that little knob is at the end of the servo motor. In your video it's the small round motor to your left with the various colored wires going to it. If this is out of the socket the entire projection unit will aim down, thus your headlight will aim down. Movement within, like your video shows you pushing it, is normal I think since it does have to move and it does have to absorb road vibration.
      07-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #99
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 VR E92 335i, 6MT

This is an interesting thread. My driver's side light isn't moving left or right, yet my passenger side is. When I first turn on the car, the headlights do drop down and appear to kinda "dance" on the bottom, as if they're trying to move up, but are getting stuck on something. After a few seconds of the dancing, they do move up to a higher position, however it's not much. When driving at night, the lights seem to illuminate the road maybe 20-25' in front.

Think this resolution could be the answer to my problem? How long does it take to remove the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #100
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

My passenger headlight randomly stopped auto-leveling last night when i started the car up and points straight to the ground. Left/right pivot still works, and no errors, so I'm thinking this may be the problem.

OP how low did it take you to remove the bumper and access the ball/socket in the headlight assembly? Thinking about doing this over the weekend and was wondering how simple of a job this really is.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #101
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post
My passenger headlight randomly stopped auto-leveling last night when i started the car up and points straight to the ground. Left/right pivot still works, and no errors, so I'm thinking this may be the problem.

OP how low did it take you to remove the bumper and access the ball/socket in the headlight assembly? Thinking about doing this over the weekend and was wondering how simple of a job this really is.

Thanks.
Sounds similar to my problem. I ended up taking the FL wheel off and found that the sensor arm was hyper-extended and pointing in the opposite direction. A slight amount of force pushing down popped it back into place. After that, my problem was solved. Maybe yours is as simple as that?

There's also a sensor on the RL wheel as well, but mine was fine. It's way back there and almost underneath the rear shock.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #102
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

Were both of your headlights not auto leveling? Or just one side?

Only the passenger side of mine is not working, so I'm thinking it might be just the ball/socket joint popping out. Looks like removing the wheel and wheel well cover is the easiest way to go about it. Hopefully there will be enough space to locate and access the ball/socket joint and put it back into place...if that's indeed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #103
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep

Correct, both sides were not leveling. You the front sensor controls the left/right motion and the rear controls the height.. I think.

And since only one is not moving, you might be on to something. Good luck, let us know your results!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #104
E92 M2530Z
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post

Thanks.
I did this with a couple friends 2 weeks ago, and it took us about 2 hours to take off the bumper and headlight, replace my motor (turns out my motor died), and put everything back together.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #105
20e9010
Massimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 328i xdrive

To those of you that did this, when you popped the joint back in. were you still getting movement on the projector itself before putting everything back together?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #106
jvidamins
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
OK so I went ahead today since it was a warm sunny day here in NY to pull my headlight out (removed bumper, headlight washers etc.) to see what was up.

Well I found exactly what the OP found with the servo arm out of the socket as i tried to put the arm back into the socket it just wouldn't reach. Upon further observation i found that the manual adjustment screw/control arm was broken (circled in red in picture). Don't think its fixable other than buying a whole new assembly. So i lifted by the xenon bulb area to pull the whole inner guts uip so i could try and get the servo back into the socket which i was successful but when i put everything back together still no good with the auto level (it does a little more now but not what it used to do. I will possibly replace the housing at a later date now that i know what the problem is and what i gotta do.

Thanks for the info timmahh, I would have brought it to the dealer in a few days to have them probably tell me exactly what they told you that everything is fine.
I had the same breakage!!! I slapped some epoxy on there and IT IS FIXED! I certainly wasn't going to buy an entire housing for such a tiny thing.

Attached Images

Last edited by jvidamins; 10-09-2015 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 03:16 AM   #107
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidamins View Post
I had the same breakage!!! I slapped some epoxy on there and IT IS FIXED! I certainly wasn't going to buy an entire housing for such a tiny thing.

Were your headlights really shaky and bouncy before you fixed this? My headlights shake and bounce even on the smallest little bump. I remember this started happening right after I adjusted the beam height on my headlights. I'm assuming I broke the up down adjustment. Did you have the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #108
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

And did you take the whole light out?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #109
jvidamins
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_e90 View Post
And did you take the whole light out?
Yes, I took the whole light out. No, it wasn't really shaking. It was just pointed down. Perhaps you broke what I broke but your "servo ball" is still in the socket??? Really, only one way to find out. I recommend taking the tire off on the side you'll be taking the headlight out. Makes it MUCH easier to get the back headlight screw off. If you use epoxy to fix the break, be sure to get the 5 min setting stuff. Or maybe use some super glue just for the initial connection, then lather it up with some epoxy.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #110
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I took the whole light out. No, it wasn't really shaking. It was just pointed down. Perhaps you broke what I broke but your "servo ball" is still in the socket??? Really, only one way to find out. I recommend taking the tire off on the side you'll be taking the headlight out. Makes it MUCH easier to get the back headlight screw off. If you use epoxy to fix the break, be sure to get the 5 min setting stuff. Or maybe use some super glue just for the initial connection, then lather it up with some epoxy.
Okay, so the thing that you broke... Was it the piece that adjusts the head light up and down?
Appreciate 0