E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Transfer Case Actuator Position Reset?

08-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
CAL325
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi

Transfer Case Actuator Position Reset?

Hi,

I have a 2006 325xi with a 6 spd manual transmission.

I had the transfer case actuator problem and spent a few hours replacing it. The job went fine and the car drove well afterwards, until it was time to park. That required a tight turn to the left.

I have a clicking from the transfer case when turning sharply left after replacing the actuator motor with a new one. It feels like the new motor went in with the gearing not in a neutral position, so now there is enough range of motion for normal driving and for tight turns to the right, but a tight turn to the left causes the actuator motor to "bottom out" the gear.

Is there a way to "reset" the position of the transfer case and/or the actuator motor? If I need to pull the actuator motor again and re-position it, then so be it, but how would I ensure the actuator motor and transfer case gear are both in a neutral position before the re-install?

Thanks for your help!

Craig
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...r-box/1LI6Eilz

This here does mention to "After replacing the servomotor, the "repair" service function must be performed with the diagnosis system."

I'm not entirely sure if this can be done with INPA or Protool...my Protool adapter just died and I've been waiting on a replacement.
I think ProTool can clear the VGSG adaptions which may solve your problem. I believe when the adaptations are cleared the transfer case runs the actuator through it's full range of motion to relearn the limits and all that.

Last edited by Yangorang; 09-04-2019 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0